Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528959 times)

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2012, 05:20:41 PM »
They are leaves that started to burn, the one I showed everybody. The back turned crispy brown and top also. I guess it is due to excessive heat.

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2012, 06:17:05 PM »
They are leaves that started to burn, the one I showed everybody. The back turned crispy brown and top also. I guess it is due to excessive heat.

If that's the case, moving the plant further from the light, or putting the light on a (constantly moving) light mover are the only fixes.  Cooling the air in your room will help some, but it won't prevent burns caused by infrared radiation coming from the bulb.  Obviously, moving the plant away from the bulb is the cheapest option...

Kevin

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
What I don't understand is that it doesn't affect the top leaves? I guess it is not due to the light to be too close. The temperature went up to 36C and I guess it cooked the leaves. What should I do to reduce heat?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
So what parts f the plant were affected?  Top leaves are fine and lower leaves look bad?  What about the other plants on the room, any problems on those?

Your room was close to 100 degrees, for what duration?  How long do you run the lights?  How big is the room?

I have had plants in a room with both a 1000 MH and 1000W HPS with no burning.

Please post more. new pictures.  I do not think it has anything to do with the light.
- Rob

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
Some at the bottom and some also on top. Not a lot of leaves are affected, maybye 5-7 leaves. No problem with the other plants in the grow room. Only with the lychee today which lost 2 leaves due to the hot temperatures, but nothing like the mango tree, which has leaves with black spots that turns crips brown. I run the lights for 12 hours a day. The room is 6'8'' by 8' and the top touches about 10'.

How far your lights were?

I'll post pictures tomorrow. I opened my grow room and opened my garage door about 2'', so it should cool down.

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2012, 05:23:39 PM »
Here's some pictures of a leaf.

It is burned, but I can really see some little black spot. They are really small. Some top leaves also look super healthy.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2012, 12:25:11 AM »
It does look like sunburn to me.
Har

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »

Nutritional or *gulp* pest ?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »

Nutritional or *gulp* pest ?

Looks like the leaves are all stained-up by sprinkler well water.
Alexi

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2012, 05:46:19 PM »
Yeah. The trunk that faces the sprinkler has the red iron well water stains. I'm more concerned with the wrinkling, curling, and "soft body" light green look of these young leaves. Did a soil acidifier chelate drench.
F*ck squirrels and deers

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »
WHAT Do I need to do differently???  I have been dealing with this stuff on and off  for a year now. I thought I just about had it beat and now it seems to be spreading to other trees. I guess I need to be more aggressive. It has up until now only been on my mango trees. Now I just found it just starting on my Jackfruit and Abui. Even after aggressively spraying with Copper, Dawn dish soap and Foliage Pro... it dried up and flaked some on my Carrie tree but it never completely went away and now it seems to be spreading.

Pictures below....need suggestions!

Glenn

Carrie

Keitt

Jackfruit

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #186 on: October 14, 2012, 03:39:55 PM »
It is tough with some mangoes, especially.  The tree will out grow it, but it can spread and hinder the overall health of the tree.  I have used both Copper and Neem Oil with some success.  What works best is a high pressure hose spray.  I treat with neem or copper and then it the young trees with the hose.  The larger trees, I just let be.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 14, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »
This has to be ye old common black mold you see on roofs etc. I have some on a banana and it showered down this black gunk onto other plants. I will try to blast it off with water as Harry did

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 14, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »
This has to be ye old common black mold you see on roofs etc. I have some on a banana and it showered down this black gunk onto other plants. I will try to blast it off with water as Harry did
Do you have any evidence that the mold that "shows up" on roofs effects plants?

Marin - are there any pests (scale, aphids, mealys, etc.) around?  Looks more like sooty mold to me.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2012, 05:03:42 PM »
Do you have any evidence that the mold that "shows up" on roofs effects plants?

Marin - are there any pests (scale, aphids, mealys, etc.) around?  Looks more like sooty mold to me.

Yup, definitely looks like sooty mold to me.

Here is some info on sooty mold: http://baker.ifas.ufl.edu/Horticulture/documents/BlackSootyMoldonLandscapePlants.pdf

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
It's coming from one one of t00 sources: 0) sooty mold from scale / aphids on the plants themselves, 1) a coconut tree, banana, etc above all your potted plants which has an infestation of evil spiraling white fly.
Jeff  :-)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2012, 05:46:04 PM »
Looks like sooty mold. I had that on a couple of lower branches of my NDM. It followed a scale infestation and it got so thick that some peices started to molt off the leaf. 3 apps of Ortho Volck oil (Lowes) did the trick. Scales died, sooty mold left.
F*ck squirrels and deers

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
It's coming from one one of t00 sources: 0) sooty mold from scale / aphids on the plants themselves, 1) a coconut tree, banana, etc above all your potted plants which has an infestation of evil spiraling white fly.

I inspected all the trees when I took these pics and I found no scale at all, no mealy bugs anywhere, no aphids except for last week on the one tree that has no 'sooty mold' ---> last week my barbados cherry had yellow aphids and one spray of malathion and it was all cleared up. You may be onto something with the spiraling white fly as there are ficus hedges all around the perimeter of my yard and there are coconut palms hovering over top mingled along the property lines  ......The affected trees are pushing lots of new growth right now but it did stunt the Carrie for a whole season as it just started flushing in the last couple of weeks. I am not sure what to do at this point..... should I just douse everything with ______?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:12:46 PM by MarinFla »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »
Spiraling whitefly sucks badly. They poop out like 10x more sooty mold than scale. I have a coconut palm that bathes my car and driveway in black gunk :-(.

I inspected all the trees when I took these pics and I found no scale at all, no mealy bugs anywhere, no aphids except for last week on the one tree that has no 'sooty mold' ---> last week my barbados cherry had yellow aphids and one spray of malathion and it was all cleared up. You may be onto something with the spiraling white fly as there are ficus hedges all around the perimeter of my yard and there are coconut palms hovering over top mingled along the property lines  ......The affected trees are pushing lots of new growth right now but it did stunt the Carrie for a whole season as it just started flushing in the last couple of weeks. I am not sure what to do at this point..... should I just douse everything with ______?
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »

The ficus whitefly is NOT the Spiraling Whitefly.  Look at the coconut as well as any bananas, birds of paradise, gumbi limbo and many other palm species the the spiraling whitefly affect (closely check all of your mangoes as the spiraling whitefly WILL make a mango tree their home).  The evidence of the spiraling whitefly is easily seen.  The bad thing if it is there is to rid the area of it can be a battle and expensive.  While I know some will disagree (good luck ridding them with washing/soaps/oils/Sevin if they are established), the chemicals to truly treat for spiraling whitefly are expensive and potent.  You will find some companies using commercial strength Imidacloprid (not Bayer Advanced but the real deal) but there is a lot of concern that that is not that effective.  The most effective seems to Safari or its generic equivalent.  Another problem is that if you only use the washing method and or soaps/oils and the infestation is beyond your property, you will not be ridding of them and they will most likely return.

You can check for the ficus whitefly but it will not be your source of the sooty mold.  If the ficus does have the whitefly and it is not treated correctly, it is a goner.

ficus whitefly  http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/mannion/pdfs/Ficus%20Whitefly%20%28Feb2010%29%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

spiraling whitefly  http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/mannion/pdfs/Rugose%20Spiraling%20Whitefly%20Nov2011.pdf
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:20:11 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 14, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »
Spiraling whitefly sucks badly. They poop out like 10x more sooty mold than scale. I have a coconut palm that bathes my car and driveway in black gunk :-(.

Jeff,   Any heavy duty spray treatment I could hit it with? I have worked so hard this last 6 months to get everything healthy and lush that this is doubly  pissing me off!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 14, 2012, 09:27:38 PM »
@ bsbullie

The best way to get mold off roofs is not blasting each year via pressure cleaning your concrete tiles. Far better is the peroxide compound found in oxy-clean. You can find this powder on ebay and the internet. It amounts to being a powder version of H2O2. Prepare it right and use a one gallon garden sprayer on your roof problem. Let sit for hours or a day then rinse off with a garden hose. I have done this but with copper sulfate once and pool cleaner grade bleach another time. The better method is with the oxy-clean equivalent and there are reasons why.

Unless a roof is very neglected you never see such ugly black buildup you can find on plants, with me mostly bananas. So roof mold is not extensive enough to spread out and foul up plant leaves. My opinion is with our warm wet climate (SE Florida) there is always mold in the air looking for something to zero in on and build infestation on. This is how you can get an opportunistic black mold build up on your plants in one part of your yard

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »

The ficus whitefly is NOT the Spiraling Whitefly.  Look at the coconut as well as any bananas, birds of paradise, gumbi limbo and many other palm species the the spiraling whitefly affect (closely check all of your mangoes as the spiraling whitefly WILL make a mango tree their home).  The evidence of the spiraling whitefly is easily seen.  The bad thing if it is there is to rid the area of it can be a battle and expensive.  While I know some will disagree (good luck ridding them with washing/soaps/oils/Sevin if they are established), the chemicals to truly treat for spiraling whitefly are expensive and potent.  You will find some companies using commercial strength Imidacloprid (not Bayer Advanced but the real deal) but there is a lot of concern that that is not that effective.  The most effective seems to Safari or its generic equivalent.  Another problem is that if you only use the washing method and or soaps/oils and the infestation is beyond your property, you will not be ridding of them and they will most likely return.

You can check for the ficus whitefly but it will not be your source of the sooty mold.  If the ficus does have the whitefly and it is not treated correctly, it is a goner.

ficus whitefly  http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/mannion/pdfs/Ficus%20Whitefly%20%28Feb2010%29%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

spiraling whitefly  http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/mannion/pdfs/Rugose%20Spiraling%20Whitefly%20Nov2011.pdf

Thanks Rob.....Now that I have checked out those links YES I have seen those spiraling white flies  :'(
I think I am going to call my pest control guy and get him to spray my entire yard for it before my mango trees get any more damage.
In the mean time...what is the most effective way to hit this sooty mold HARD???

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
@ bsbullie

The best way to get mold off roofs is not blasting each year via pressure cleaning your concrete tiles. Far better is the peroxide compound found in oxy-clean. You can find this powder on ebay and the internet. It amounts to being a powder version of H2O2. Prepare it right and use a one gallon garden sprayer on your roof problem. Let sit for hours or a day then rinse off with a garden hose. I have done this but with copper sulfate once and pool cleaner grade bleach another time. The better method is with the oxy-clean equivalent and there are reasons why.

Unless a roof is very neglected you never see such ugly black buildup you can find on plants, with me mostly bananas. So roof mold is not extensive enough to spread out and foul up plant leaves. My opinion is with our warm wet climate (SE Florida) there is always mold in the air looking for something to zero in on and build infestation on. This is how you can get an opportunistic black mold build up on your plants in one part of your yard
You are correct that pressure washing roofs is not the way to clean them...mostly as the person/company doing the cleaning usually damages the roof tiles, causing more money to be spent.

I am the president of my community (responsible for cleaning and maintaining roofs) and I have been on the roof-a-cide program for years now with no problems.

I still doubt that the dirt/mold that effects roofs is also a direct attacker of plants.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »

Thanks Rob.....Now that I have checked out those links YES I have seen those spiraling white flies  :'(
I think I am going to call my pest control guy and get him to spray my entire yard for it before my mango trees get any more damage.
In the mean time...what is the most effective way to hit this sooty mold HARD???
Be very careful when having your pest company treat the spiraling whitefly.  Without being accusatory, many will take your money and the problem will not be gone.  I would even call around to get quote and methods/types of applications.  Just be prepared, it will not be cheap.

As f the sooty mold...get rid of the best and the sooty mold will stop.  I have posted this link before I believe but in any event, here you go...  http://baker.ifas.ufl.edu/Horticulture/documents/BlackSootyMoldonLandscapePlants.pdf
- Rob