Author Topic: Container Growing, pot sizes, etc.  (Read 2044 times)

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Container Growing, pot sizes, etc.
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:53:07 PM »
I keep acquiring plants and I'm running out of space. I haven't actually put most of my trees in the ground yet, but I've already crunched numbers on which ones go where (though I'm flexible, that's what this post is for), and I definitely have more trees than space right now. So, I'm basically asking for advice and info on which ones I should or could keep in containers (the more the better), and the minimum pot size required for each species (the smallest I can go while still having a productive and fruitful tree). Those are my primary questions, and while I'm at it, I'd like to ask about re-potting (but not up-potting) and root-pruning regimens for each species (to keep it healthy), and fertilizer regimens (which ones, how much per session, how to apply it, and how often). That's it! Now for the lineup of species (that I currently have) that I'm considering for container culture:

1 - Lansium domesticum (żnow parasiticum?)
2 - Luc's Garcinia (G. vleerackerii)
3 - Garcinia intermedia
4 - Artocarpus hypargyreus
5 - Myrciaria vexator
6 - M. glazioviana
7 - M. "Red Hybrid"
8 - M. aureana
9 - M. coronata restinga
10 - M. cuspidata
11 - M. sp. "Grimal"
12 - Eugenia florida
13 - E. calycina
14 - E. selloi
15 - E. involucrata
16 - E. luthschnathiana
17 - Psidium cattleianum
18 - Sterculia quadrifida
19 - Ficus opposita
20 - Muntingia calabura

So, can anyone out there help me with my predicament?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Container Growing, pot sizes, etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »
I keep acquiring plants and I'm running out of space. I haven't actually put most of my trees in the ground yet, but I've already crunched numbers on which ones go where (though I'm flexible, that's what this post is for), and I definitely have more trees than space right now. So, I'm basically asking for advice and info on which ones I should or could keep in containers (the more the better), and the minimum pot size required for each species (the smallest I can go while still having a productive and fruitful tree). Those are my primary questions, and while I'm at it, I'd like to ask about re-potting (but not up-potting) and root-pruning regimens for each species (to keep it healthy), and fertilizer regimens (which ones, how much per session, how to apply it, and how often). That's it! Now for the lineup of species (that I currently have) that I'm considering for container culture:

1 - Lansium domesticum (żnow parasiticum?)
2 - Luc's Garcinia (G. vleerackerii)
3 - Garcinia intermedia
4 - Artocarpus hypargyreus
5 - Myrciaria vexator
6 - M. glazioviana
7 - M. "Red Hybrid"

8 - M. aureana
9 - M. coronata restinga
10 - M. cuspidata
11 - M. sp. "Grimal"
12 - Eugenia florida
13 - E. calycina
14 - E. selloi
15 - E. involucrata16 -
E. luthschnathiana
17 - Psidium cattleianum
18 - Sterculia quadrifida
19 - Ficus opposita
20 - Muntingia calabura

So, can anyone out there help me with my predicament?

Bold should be pretty good in large pots.
I'm sure others can too, but i'm not too certain

Adam would know a lot about most of theses

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 10:14:51 PM »
I've done a lot of container growing. If you do a search, you can find threads where I described a system of plastic grow bags and styrofoam peanuts, where I got into a lot of detail about how to manage containers for a large collection of tropical fruits. It makes them so light and portable, and they seem very happy.

Combine that with LEVELS. If you are short on space and using containers, the best thing to do for many plants is to go UP like a highrise, placing these light containers above each other so they can efficiently use each other's water like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. I have a balcony connected to stairs and have set up a system where containers all tilt slightly down towards the next container going down the stairs, so the water runs down them by only watering the top plant. I have also set up the bags on wire storage crates (the kind you can assemble yourself to make the shape you want), so that each plant can take advantage of whatever the best sun conditions are while growing just below the next plant that likes the same conditions - the trunks then grow crooked around the bottom of the next plant above it, so that all of the bottoms/grow bags are eventually covered and all you see is fruit/greenery.

I was able to do this with Myrciarias, Garcinias, Psidium cattleianum, Muntingia calabura, and Ficuses (among many other species, including citrus trees) without any major problems. The styrofoam allows you to create really large pots without almost any weight besides that of the plant itself, which makes the options for growth in limited space far more numerous than if you stick with a traditional in-ground with endless space method. The light weight also allows you to easily drag them inside and outside at will to allow them natural light when outdoor conditions are good, and to protect them when outdoor conditions are too harsh (like for hurricanes).

Just remember that your fruit production may then be a bit limited over a tree that is given unlimited ground space to grow, but at least you will have a large variety of fruit to enjoy throughout the year!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:17:11 PM by LivingParadise »

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 11:33:08 PM »
I am really interestednin your experience. Can you send npictures?
I do not fully grasp the concept.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 02:38:16 AM »
I've done a lot of container growing. If you do a search, you can find threads where I described a system of plastic grow bags and styrofoam peanuts, where I got into a lot of detail about how to manage containers for a large collection of tropical fruits. It makes them so light and portable, and they seem very happy.
If you are in a windy spot, light pots are not your friend.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 01:39:29 AM »

Combine that with LEVELS. If you are short on space and using containers, the best thing to do for many plants is to go UP like a highrise, placing these light containers above each other so they can efficiently use each other's water like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. I have a balcony connected to stairs and have set up a system where containers all tilt slightly down towards the next container going down the stairs, so the water runs down them by only watering the top plant. I have also set up the bags on wire storage crates (the kind you can assemble yourself to make the shape you want), so that each plant can take advantage of whatever the best sun conditions are while growing just below the next plant that likes the same conditions - the trunks then grow crooked around the bottom of the next plant above it, so that all of the bottoms/grow bags are eventually covered and all you see is fruit/greenery.

I was able to do this with Myrciarias, Garcinias, Psidium cattleianum, Muntingia calabura, and Ficuses (among many other species, including citrus trees) without any major problems. The styrofoam allows you to create really large pots without almost any weight besides that of the plant itself, which makes the options for growth in limited space far more numerous than if you stick with a traditional in-ground with endless space method. The light weight also allows you to easily drag them inside and outside at will to allow them natural light when outdoor conditions are good, and to protect them when outdoor conditions are too harsh (like for hurricanes).

Just remember that your fruit production may then be a bit limited over a tree that is given unlimited ground space to grow, but at least you will have a large variety of fruit to enjoy throughout the year!

I am really interestednin your experience. Can you send npictures?
I do not fully grasp the concept.

Seconded. Pics would go a long way in helping me picture this (though I'll be looking up the written portion on those threads). It sounds very useful.

If you are in a windy spot, light pots are not your friend.

It's fairly calm here most of the time, but I've had some strong wind storms knock over some of my largest container-grown trees, so yeah I might proceed with caution on that front.

So... Anyone got any stats regarding pot size per species? I know productivity would never match ground-grown ones, but I'm okay with that as long as I'm not stuck with a measly handful of fruit each week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk