Author Topic: Winter Feeding of citrus  (Read 4942 times)

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
Winter Feeding of citrus
« on: November 04, 2018, 08:09:23 PM »
Due to the fact many citrus fruit in the winter and are heavy feeders should they be fed full strength throughout the winter? Including potted?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Feeding of citrus
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 08:26:31 PM »
If growing in a greenhouse, then fertilizer.  In a house fertilize lightly.

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 10:11:44 PM »
Millet, you say if growing in a greenhouse, then fertilize. But doesn't that depend on temperature? For example, my greenhouse temperature setpoint is 55 F (although recent daytime temps have reached into mid 80s) so shouldn't I be fertilizing lightly?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:14:36 PM by Vlad »

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 04:10:48 AM »
At min 50F (10C) citrus continues to grow, perhaps with exception of limes. I have like this and they started to bloom and heavily set fruit.
I use a high potassium fertilizer, KNO3 at 1000ppm weekly plus a foliar spare with ME and monthly a drench with FE. Water until 15% of water leakes.

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
What is ME? Is FE the same as Fe, which is iron?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »
During most of the winter my greenhouse reaches 70 -80-F during the day, and I have my thermostat set for 55-F during the night.  I fertilize year around.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:50:43 PM by Millet »

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »
What is ME? Is FE the same as Fe, which is iron?

Micro elements or trace elements are iron (Fe), manganese (Mn), zinc (Zn), boron (B), copper (Cu), molybdenum (Mo) and silicon (Si).

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 11:59:39 PM »
I have a fertilizer called Apples and Oranges. It has all those micros but unfortunately the chelator is EDTA which is suspected of being a perisistent environmental pollutant. Whats another good micro-rich fertilizer without EDTA?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 11:53:43 AM »
I wouldn't feed at all in the winter. Let the plant rest & go dormant.

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 02:58:14 PM »
Laaz, are you saying that fertilizing prevents them from going dormant?
I fertilize only the ones showing new growth.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 04:05:51 PM »
More heat means more light requirement. I found that citrus plants grow very well with 50 F at nigh and 68 F during the day. They flower and put nice foliage, compared with summer heat and high light intensity.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 09:51:54 PM »
Citrus do not go dormant, as does many types of trees.  Its growth does indeed slow down during the winter months in colder areas, unless additional  light and heat are provided.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 07:23:48 AM »
We don't fertilize in-ground citrus here after Aug 1st so we don't get late flushes during the winter that will get killed or damaged.

Citrus may not go true dormant, but as a rule I don't feed any of my citrus after Aug 1st. Once the first freeze is predicted I move my container citrus into the garage & leave it there until March 1st. Left in the dark cool garage, it remain as it was put in, No new growth, no blooms & no leaf drop.

Normal years we don't get our first frost until mid / late December & usually only get 7-10 nights below freezing every year.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:11:21 PM by Laaz »

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »
Laaz for potted plants though I would imagine applying micro nutrients through out the year would be essential for health and proper fruit production

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 07:50:35 PM »
Laaz do you water the container trees you overwinter in Your garage?  Or do you let them dry out?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 09:29:30 PM »
Brian, I doubt that the high humidity in your greenhouse has anything to do with your tree problem.   Humidity in my greenhouse, especially during the winter months sometimes causes "rain" to fall from the glazing.  On warmish days I turn on the exhaust fans to reduce the humidity.  However, over the 30 years I've had the greenhouse, I have never had a problem.  In Florida during the summer many days the humidity is 100 percent.  On Okinawa, when I was in the Navy, the humidity was near 100 percent the entire summer, no problem with the citrus.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 07:02:28 AM »
Laaz for potted plants though I would imagine applying micro nutrients through out the year would be essential for health and proper fruit production

Micro nutrients in high amounts can lead to toxicity. For instance iron becomes available to citrus when ph is under 6, and with high accumulation in soil can kill the plant.
My greenhouse has also high humidity and as a rule when humidity is high I water less, the plants can take water from the air and water droplets. Of course it depends also on temperature.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 08:11:35 AM »
> iron becomes available to citrus when ph is under 6
Which form of Fe?

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 09:29:04 AM »
We don't fertilize in-ground citrus here after Aug 1st so we don't get late flushes during the winter than will get killed or damage.

Citrus may not go true dormant, but as a rule I don't feed any of my citrus after Aug 1st. Once the first freeze is predicted I move my container citrus into the garage & leave it there until March 1st. Left in the dark cool garage, it remain as it was put in, No new growth, no blooms & no leaf drop.

Normal years we don't get our first frost until mid / late December & usually only get 7-10 nights below freezing every year.

Here jn zone 6, the winter day is short and the only way, how not to kill citrus because of big disbalance of light/heat  is to keep temperature from 0 to 10 Celsius, no water, no fertilizer.

jako9403

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 10:07:18 AM »
In winter i usually use mulch or organic fertilizer.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 10:15:33 AM »
Lebmung, your correct that at a pH of 6 Iron is at it maximum availability.  However, iron still has some availability up to a pH of 8.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 11:42:11 AM »
Brian, I doubt that the high humidity in your greenhouse has anything to do with your tree problem.   Humidity in my greenhouse, especially during the winter months sometimes causes "rain" to fall from the glazing.  On warmish days I turn on the exhaust fans to reduce the humidity.  However, over the 30 years I've had the greenhouse, I have never had a problem.  In Florida during the summer many days the humidity is 100 percent.  On Okinawa, when I was in the Navy, the humidity was near 100 percent the entire summer, no problem with the citrus.

Did you mean to respond to me other thread regarding the gummy areas near twig dieback?  If so thank you for the information, I have always worried about humidity and it is good to know it can be tolerable.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 07:10:46 PM »
> iron becomes available to citrus when ph is under 6
Which form of Fe?

I am talking in particular about Ferric EDTA the most used in fertilizers but also about all the iron in general.
Sure there are other forms of Fe which are available to plants up to ph 9. I just say that applying too much iron when you see the sign of yellowing will build up in soil. The main problem is the PH, not that iron that is not present in soil. It's just not available. So most advanced gardeners apply iron to corect the problem. After a while once you correct the ph soil problem the iron becomes  available to the citrus plant in a high quantity which can eventually kill it.
Foliar spray of iron is not effective especially during the hot summer and under high light intensity can burn the plant.
Now if some of you went to the tropics, you can see that the land is red, sandy and lightweigh.. The red color comes from iron. Deficiency in iron over there is hardly seen.
In cold climates the citrus plants have a big problem with alkaline and chlorine water.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 07:59:31 AM »
OK.
Just an observation, It is pH, not PH nor ph.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 08:45:59 AM »
OK.
Just an observation, It is pH, not PH nor ph.

nice one ;D