Author Topic: what wood you guys do with one Meyer lemon fruit????  (Read 9051 times)

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
what wood you guys do with one Meyer lemon fruit????
« on: March 17, 2015, 08:53:44 AM »
what wood you guys if you only had one Meyer lemon fruit??? thats all the tree had  its been yellow about 6 weeks now and i think its ripe... just not sure what to do with it????   
swimmingfree

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: what wood you guys do with one Meyer lemon fruit????
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
Being that you only have one......if you grill, cut it in half and put it face down on a very hot fire to get black marks. Squeeze over grilled fish, steak, chicken.

Last year was an incredible year for Meyers for me. Not only were they super rich, juicy, etc. but I picked for months off a little 3' tall tree.  Here's a recipe you must try and yes I used the zest of 3 Meyers (2 tablespoons), the juice of 3 gave me 1/3 cup of juice and the lemon flavor was so intense you would think we dumped half a bottle of lemon extract into the pie.  I'm not a fan of desserts, but this is really that good.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/lemon-chess-pie-recipe.html

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »
Lol, be glad you only had to deal with one.

This is after I gave away more than half of the meyers, and the tree just keeps on giving.  I used to have one a good 4x larger than this at my former house.  I left it behind when I moved though.

I know better than to have more than 1 lemon tree (except for my wife's variegated ornamental which we just use as a fancy tea cup decor.

mksmth

• Tulsa Oklahoma 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »
my very first meyer lemon got cut into 6 wedges and each put into Boulevard wheat long necks 

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 12:26:18 PM »
We had a nice Meyer Lemon crop this year. My normal margarita is 1 part fresh squeezed lime juice, 1 part dark blue agave syrup, 2 parts of a good Reposado Tequila (Cazadores happens to be one of my favorites). I made a variation on it to take advantage of the Meyer Lemons and highlight it's qualities: 1 part fresh squeezed Meyer Lemon juice, 1 part light blue agave syrup, 2 parts of Blanco Tequila (the light agave syrup and blanco tequila have less flavor which allows the orange-lemon character of the Meyer Lemon to come through more). Drink these on your porch in the middle of the afternoon, that is happiness :)
- Mark

Riverland

• SA, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
Trade it for a real lemon. ;D

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 06:53:55 PM »
I have 5 meyer lemon trees and I plan on making lemonade.

If I had one, I would quarter it, squeeze and add it to water. It makes a good drink in the late afternoon with ice (better than juice and soft drinks, less calories than coffee with cream and sugar).

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »
lot of good answer to my question .....  looks like the first thing is to squeeze the juice out of it ...lol   
swimmingfree

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »
We had a nice Meyer Lemon crop this year. My normal margarita is 1 part fresh squeezed lime juice, 1 part dark blue agave syrup, 2 parts of a good Reposado Tequila (Cazadores happens to be one of my favorites). I made a variation on it to take advantage of the Meyer Lemons and highlight it's qualities: 1 part fresh squeezed Meyer Lemon juice, 1 part light blue agave syrup, 2 parts of Blanco Tequila (the light agave syrup and blanco tequila have less flavor which allows the orange-lemon character of the Meyer Lemon to come through more). Drink these on your porch in the middle of the afternoon, that is happiness :)

That is happiness & sounds wonderful.  We consider ourselves tequila aficianodos.  Speaking of great Reposados, too good for mixing and used only for quaffing, you haven't had a great one until you tried Casa Noble.  Excellent value for the money too. Not that I care nor does having a celebrity mean the product they buy into is worth a squat, but Carlos Santana is co-owner and on the board.  http://www.casanoble.com/validate.aspx
Cazadores is a fine mixer.  The produce Cabrito also a fine mixer and a better value from the same Cazadores NOM.

This will keep you busy for a while.  I made a long list of only those listed as GREAT and up and test them without mixing, only 'neat'.  These are rated by specially trained and certified tequila "sommeliers".
http://tequilaconnection.com/Grading1.htm

According to a Mexican mixologist I asked in Matamorros (who made an unreal margarita) the perfect margarita is equal parts of freshly squeezed Mex limes, Triple Sec, tequila.

Enjoy,
Mark
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:03:17 PM by Mark in Texas »

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 01:35:42 PM »
Mark,

That website is awesome! I love tequila and have tried quite a few but nothing like that, I am impressed! I love to drink tequila neat as well. I am quite fond of El Tesoro Anejo, it is one of my all time favorites. But the next time I go to the liquor store I will be on the lookout for Casa Noble and Cabrito.

Thank you for the suggestions, I am definitely bookmarking your Tequila tasting page. Thanks!
- Mark

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 09:41:58 PM »
Salud'

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 12:44:49 PM »
Mark,

I picked up some Casa Noble and some Cabrito. Good calls, thanks for the suggestion!

I have some Cazadores Reposado and did a head-to-head with the Cabrito. My wife and I both agreed that by itself we like the Cazadores Reposado better. It is a little more refined, maybe a touch of vanilla that the Cabrito doesn't. But when mixed in a margarita (which is how you suggested it) we both like the Cabrito better. We got the 1.75 L, so we are looking forward to a summer of top-notch margaritas :)

And I saw the Casa Noble Reposado, which is what you suggested. But I saw the anejo right next to it and I am looking for a new anejo to try, so I got that one.

That Casa Noble anejo .... wow. That is one of the best tequlias I have have in awhile. Deep, rich, complex, vanilla and butterscotch, but very balanced. The nose is almost as good as the flavor. I wish I had not polished off my El Tesoro anejo last summer, I would like to compare those two side by side. I suspect the El Tesoro would still win out. But, you mentioned value above, and I completely agree. This Casa Noble anejo tastes like a much more expensive bottle of tequila. And I suspect I would say the same thing about the reposado.

Thanks!
- Mark

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »
Good on ya!  Cazadores is a better tequila but when it comes to mixing I'm not gonna waste it on mid to top shelf stuff. That's like taking a great single malt scotch and mixing it with Dr. Pepper.

In general, I'm a fan of reposados as I like the smoothness and vanilla of the oak but don't want to lose the fruit. Casa Noble is a hit in that way, even though it's aged in new French oak for the max time allowed by law - 364 days.  I've got to try their anejo, I'm sure it's great.  Yeah, how about that nose!  So damn good someone should bottle it and market as a latin lovers men's cologne.  Another runner up to Casa Noble is Don Julio Anejo.  Lot's of complexity and the oak is not too strong.  Of course all of this is personal taste, so......

salud' !

BTW, we had Mescal Union based on a PBS mescal special.  Man is that stuff weird.   :o Thought I was drinking the nectar of sour tennis shoes.   ;D

I love to experiment with stuff.  One of my latest passions is coffee roasting. It's one of those things where you're driven kiss all the pretty ladies, they're all so fine.  Haven't met a green bean I didn't like.

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »
I hear you about the mixing. We fell in love with Cazadores years ago. And we love to make margaritas with it, we usually drink it straight, either the reposado or the anejo. The tequila that we most often use for mixing is actually Zapopan. We get it at our local liquor store, it is okay not great by itself, it is almost always on sale, but it is a good value and make a good margarita. But the Cabrito (when you compare price on a 750 mL basis) is not that much more but makes a superior margarita. So, thanks you you, I think we found our new mixer.

That's like taking a great single malt scotch and mixing it with Dr. Pepper.

Ha! I know what you are saying. And speaking of scotch, as much as I love tequila, I love scotch even more. If you are a scotch drinker, I would love to compare tasting notes!

Speaking of smoothness and vanilla, that is the reason why we started to get into tequila, when we started drinking some really good reposados. It is so interesting to see how much just 12 months of aging makes a difference in a tequila. The agave distillate is just so responsive to aging in wood barrels, combined with its intrinsic flavor, it is just an awesome beverage.

Yeah, mescal....I have only tried a couple, but I am not a fan. Sour tennis shoes, that's good :)

Coffee roasting!! Man, that is great. We used to roast our own coffee. We were pretty hard core about it several years ago. We would buy beans from sweetmarias.com back in the late 90s, and 2000s. Our favorites used to be Ethiopian, Sumatran and Costa Rican. Our love for coffee started because my wife and I worked at the same local coffee shop in college in the early 90s. It was great, custom roasted coffee, La Pavoni espresso machines, we made so really exceptional coffee there. So our coffee love really started from them. We don't roast anymore, but I still love coffee. I just wish I could grow it here :) I would love to give from plant to cup a shot.

- Mark

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »
I've let the discussion concerning liquors run for a bit, but this is a citrus forum,so lets try to keep it on citrus.  Thanks - Milet.

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 07:17:49 PM »
Point well taken, apologies.
- Mark

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 04:09:03 AM »

[/b]
Riverland - I was thinking exactly that - but I wasn't brave enough to say it!

A 'real lemon' has such an intense lemony zing. Meyers Lemon by comparison has a sweetened and watered down taste. Not really lemon and not really orange - which isn't surprising as it's thought to be a hybrid of the two.

I once wrote on a citrus forum that Meyers Lemon was far inferior to a true lemon, and I received a stream of abuse in response.
There seems to be a strong pro-Meyers, anti-lemon lobby around. My flak-jacket is standing by!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 10:02:37 AM »

[/b]
Riverland - I was thinking exactly that - but I wasn't brave enough to say it!

A 'real lemon' has such an intense lemony zing. Meyers Lemon by comparison has a sweetened and watered down taste. Not really lemon and not really orange - which isn't surprising as it's thought to be a hybrid of the two.

I once wrote on a citrus forum that Meyers Lemon was far inferior to a true lemon, and I received a stream of abuse in response.
There seems to be a strong pro-Meyers, anti-lemon lobby around. My flak-jacket is standing by!

Except the lower acidic content makes meyers so much better on the teeth.  Plus I'll take my juicier grapefruit sized meyers over other lemons any day, and they're not so strong as to overpower the taste of the fish recipes I use them for down here on the Gulf.

On a side note, people around here have offered me $10  a piece for these fruits, and restaurants even got wind and asked to buy some during certain fish seasons.  So like 'em or lump 'em, they are highly desirable by the average populace even if their origins go against the grains of fruit tree purists.

I can't stand that I grow a limequat either, but having a lime-tasting orange in Feb-April every season beats having no citrus to eat that time of year.  :D

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »
"Persian Limes are actually picked and used when green, so as to distinguish them from those inferior seedy fruits, the lemons."
~Chris Rollins, Fruit & Spice Park
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Riverland

• SA, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 01:18:28 AM »
This guy can't tell the difference, really?

Hasn't the seedless Eureka arrived over there? Both Australia and South Africa have bred their own strains and have been around for quite some time now.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 08:18:09 AM »
"Persian Limes are actually picked and used when green, so as to distinguish them from those inferior seedy fruits, the lemons."
~Chris Rollins, Fruit & Spice Park

As much as i respect Chris Rollins that statement makes no sense.  Just comparing the two, they look nothing alike.  I bet the US has been selling Persian Limes green long before Chris Rollins has had any thought about it.   Hell, why do commercial groves pick and sell their Key Limes green?  They are completely unripe green and their flavor at the green stage is horrible.

On the other comment above, I have not seen a seedless Eureka Lemon (or Bearss or Lisbon) produced in Florida.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 09:19:57 AM »
it's kind of a joke.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »

We have made a chess pie with 3 Meyer lemons using 1/3 cup of juice and the zest.  It has such a strong lemon flavor you'd think we dumped half a bottle of artificial lemon extract in it.  I have NEVER tasted any kind of lemon pie, merinque or whatever, with that rich and strong of a pure lemon flavor.  I can only assume your Meyers are not being grown well or not harvested at their peak of flavor, which should be when they turn bright yellow and soft.  FWIW, here's the recipe but let me warn you, it's addicting.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/lemon-chess-pie-recipe.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:05:38 PM by Mark in Texas »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 05:09:52 AM »
I would throw it at the sulphur crested cockatoos that chew up my mandarins to get the seeds.It will be a poor crop this year due to those mongrels.

Riverland

• SA, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 07:07:28 AM »
Know exactly how you feel Mike. Such a destructive bird. In the process of eating a single grapefruit, will knock a dozen off the tree. Their numbers seem to have gotten out of hand.