Author Topic: I planted a mango tree on a ground stump. Mistake? (UPDATE 8/16)  (Read 1546 times)

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
I'm new here. Just bought my first couple mango trees  and I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I bought a glenn and a fruit punch a few weeks ago. I planted the glenn in regular soil and the fruit punch where an old pine tree stump used to be. The tree had been dead for a couple years and basically turned into dust and mulch when I ground it down.

Anyway, the glenn is already showing lots of new growth. The fruit punch looks about the same. Maybe slightly taller, but not as much new growth as the glenn. But looks very healthy.

Have I made a mistake? Should I move the fruit punch? Am I overthinking this?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:46:58 PM by CarloGolfer »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: I planted a mango tree on a ground stump. Mistake?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 01:04:51 PM »
If you can I would probably move it over what I have observed about the huge Oak stump that was ground foot and a half two foot below ground level and mulch removed than filled with dirt the soil gets moldy and then regular grass won't grow on it mostly just mushrooms and torpedo grass mushrooms. So if you're posting that means is troubling you and you will sleep better if you move it.When I get home from work I'll take a photo
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 01:07:27 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 01:10:02 PM »
I wouldn't worry.

You basically have a Hügelkultur system for you Fruit Punch

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 01:11:15 PM »
trees will usually grow roots before new growth, after being replanted. Some trees don't look like they are doing anything for months, then go nuts.

the Glenn is pushing because it already was about to.

I would leave it, unless it shows signs of stress.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 03:23:09 PM »
Maybe the Pine stump will give it a strong Turpin flavor LoL the compost will cook the roots

Paranoia

Anderson Tree Company
Sacramento, CA

Over time, the tree roots encircling a stump will rot. However, this process may take years with larger trees. In the meantime, tough, woody roots near the stump will make it hard for another tree to establish its own root system in the soil.

After a stump is ground, the soil around the stump undergoes a lot of changes that make it an unsuitable growing medium for many plants. The sudden influx of wood chips can deplete nitrogen from the soil. The pH may be too acidic as the wood fibers break down into dirt.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:56:12 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 05:29:10 PM »
Thank you for all the replies. There seems to be conflicting advice though.

I'm going to keep an eye on it. I don't want to stress the tree by moving it, but I don't want to have it suffer either.

When I dug the hole it was mostly nice looking dark soil. The wood chips are concentrated at the top. I'm leaning towards it'll be ok.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 06:56:17 PM »
I have trees growing on top tree stumps for years. should be fine.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 08:40:05 PM »
My money is on that since you posted you had a seed of doubt and even though you've heard what you wanted to hear within a couple weeks that seed will grow and you're going to wake up in the middle of the night and move that tree. I've done the same kind of crazy stuff after watching a video that Har made about rootbound trees Lol

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 08:44:53 PM »
My money is on that since you posted you had a seed of doubt and even though you've heard what you wanted to hear within a couple weeks that seed will grow and you're going to wake up in the middle of the night and move that tree. I've done the same kind of crazy stuff after watching a video that Har made about rootbound trees Lol

Damn it! Why do you have to impart this type of paranoia on us Bovine?!?!?! I'm going to awake in a cold sweat over my Jaboticaba and the pH of the soil due to palm roots because of you at roughly 3:15 AM tonight :'(

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 01:03:19 PM »
I'm actually feeling better about the mango tree.

BUT! We had torrential rain yesterday and the part of my yard where I planted my citrus trees was flooded. It's never flooded like that in two years.

I'm going to buy a pump at home depot later. The water is essentially all gone, but I need to be prepared.

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 04:46:05 PM »
Update with pics.

First, my glenn is doing phenomenal. Has new growth every where. Calling it vigorous would be an understatement.

My fruit punch has me worried. Some of the lower branches have leaves which look not so great. See pictures below. The high leaves look great.

An alternate explanation is that the fruit punch had some root damage during planting. The glenn slid right in, but the fruit punch tipped over on me. The bottom kinda broke apart when that happened.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: I planted a mango tree on a ground stump. Mistake? (UPDATE 8/16)
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 05:08:41 PM »
Be very careful when leveling the soil or adding mulch.  That graft is very low/close to the ground.  The tree should have been planted a little higher.
- Rob

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 05:30:48 PM »
Be very careful when leveling the soil or adding mulch.  That graft is very low/close to the ground.  The tree should have been planted a little higher.

The tree is actually on a bit of a mound. I can pull some soil away without issue. You think thats causing trouble?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 07:56:14 AM »
make sure soil and mulch are not on the base of the trunk.

I would raise it a bit more. will help with flooding.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 01:29:26 PM »
Your tree looks fine, just let it do its thang.   ;)
I would let the top roots receive more air flow for now.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk