Author Topic: Banana bashing  (Read 13491 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Banana bashing
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »
I thought this video was perfect for this thread, and how I feel about growing bananas.

They are require too much maintenance, are disease prone, and are easily tissue propagated...so from a nursery man's point of view (or at least mine), it's one of the worst families of fruiting plants to try and make a living with.  Pineapples fall into this category for me as well (tissue culture+thorns=something I don't want to grow).

Don't get me wrong!  Nothing like a good home grown banana! and I'm always eager to eat someones fruit, but not to put a plant in the ground (or even a pot) to care for and fruit.

Let's get heated up, until we make bananas foster on this thread...I want to hear reasons from both sides, but don't expect me to stop feeling like our buddy, Berman (in the video), when it comes to bananas.

Berman the banana tree!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:10:43 PM by Adam Shafran »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Muay Thai kickboxer versus banana tree
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »
Muay Thai banana tree kickboxing in Manoa Valley, Hawaii.

Muay Thai kickboxer versus banana tree

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Banana bashing
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
Don't let the Banana Anti-Cruelty Society see this video...you could be in big trouble!  (:>)   
FloridaGreenMan

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 03:41:36 PM »
Quick, somebody send this guy a machete!

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 05:35:17 AM »
Wish i'd taken photos, some wild pigs here, before i fenced the place, not only knocked down huge bananas in a jiffy but ATE them all the way to the ground. Put the kickboxer and punching bag video guys to shame!
I'm with you Adam about not propagating bananas, but for different reasons. Bananas here are very prone to nematodes and it's very difficult to propagate clean material. If it weren't for this it would be easy to make money multiplying them as a they make a whole lot of pups, and very fast!
One of my farms, a 5 acre piece, was almost all planted to bananas when i started. I decided to remove 90% of them as it's very difficult here also to make any money selling banana bunches. Just kept enough rows to keep me well supplied for life.
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 12:26:53 PM »
I agree bananas are not the best fruit to grow (so cheap in the store). However, I love the foliage and the fruit is a plus. I was able to fruit a bunch of Dwarf Orinoco bananas in a 30 gal container, was probably not worth the space and time for a set of bananas. The fruit was excellent though.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »
I agree bananas are not the best fruit to grow (so cheap in the store). However, I love the foliage and the fruit is a plus. I was able to fruit a bunch of Dwarf Orinoco bananas in a 30 gal container, was probably not worth the space and time for a set of bananas. The fruit was excellent though.

I love the foliage, too.  They're a great landscaping plant.  In North Texas (DFW), where I lived for 5 years, many homeowners plant them near their swimming pools for the tropical look even though the plants are killed each year by winter cold.

How can you compare a supermarket banana to a homegrown, connoisseur variety?  Isn't that like saying we shouldn't grow mangoes because they're "so cheap in the store?" :(
John

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »
The foliage give the yard a more tropical look, super easy to grow, no maintenance needed. That's why I have around 6-8 different varieties growing, and there are 5 fruiting stalks right now. They look ugly in the winter with torn leaves, but are now sprouting new leaves.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 01:29:37 PM »

I love the foliage, too.  They're a great landscaping plant.  In North Texas (DFW), where I lived for 5 years, many homeowners plant them near their swimming pools for the tropical look even though the plants are killed each year by winter cold.

How can you compare a supermarket banana to a homegrown, connoisseur variety?  Isn't that like saying we shouldn't grow mangoes because they're "so cheap in the store?" :(

John,

So true, about the home grown tasting better. Its why I grow it, however the amount of time and effort for a small bunch would of been better dedicating it to another lychee tree. I am able to find organic bananas for a good price in most stores. I eat bananas at least a few times a week, because of the availability of decent quality fruit at good prices (the allure is not as great for the bananas).

I will continue growing Dwarf Orinoco, to have a bunch of home grown bananas. I think am going to limit banana growing to a container or two, so I can still get that beautiful foliage and a bunch or two every year.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »
Here I go, contradicting myself again...

I always defend fruit trees!  even ones I despise!!

But the banana does add a very beautiful tropical look...and in areas where they aren't marginally adapted, they make more sense  to grow.

It always provides something to look at, and look forward to, producing new leaves all the time.

The fruits are one of the most popular in the world, and the most delicious!

and the best reason to grow them...Store bought bananas are absolute trash compared to homegrown treasures!

But I'd rather be growing a tree with a trunk (wood) and bark...call me old fashioned! ;D

Bananas need too much help, at least near me!

but I have deep respect for banana growers, and a love for eating the fruits fresh of the pseudostem.

The foliage give the yard a more tropical look, super easy to grow, no maintenance needed. That's why I have around 6-8 different varieties growing, and there are 5 fruiting stalks right now. They look ugly in the winter with torn leaves, but are now sprouting new leaves.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 03:05:51 PM »
Adam,

With the crazy pests and problems you have to deal with in FL,  I can see why you would not like growing bananas. Plus I am sure its growing at many friends homes, who would not mind sharing part of a large bunch :).

Now to focus on what fruits produce abundantly in containers with minimal pest problems. I should make a new thread on this.

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 03:43:12 PM »
Banana Bashing.  DISGRACEFUL!!!  I'm Dan the Bananaman and I love my naners. :P   Here is a pic of one my favorite cultivars, FHIA-01, the Goldfinger.  The taste is wonderful, it's cold resistant and fruits every year with high finger count and no disease issues.  FHIA-01 is one of several tetraploids developed by FUNDACIÓN HONDUREÑA DE INVESTIGACIÓN AGRÍCOLA.  If you ate a few Goldfingers you would want a corm to grow your own.  They don't come from Publix.  And naner bashing would be replaced with a bottle of Captain Morgans Spiced Rum to make the best Bananas Foster - ever.

As far as nematodes are concerned --- I use composted cow manure heavily --- in the hole fill at first planting to include a 3 ft diameter topdress 3" deep.  Two more topdessings the first year and 2 annually from then on.  Have dug out over 200 pups for folks that drop by and shipped some by mail.   Never saw root knots or pseudostem decline due to nematodes.  Poop is the scoop! ;)

Dan the B'mal

Dan

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »
Hi Bananimal,

It's DISGRACEFULL yeah...BUt, Funny as hell ;D ;D ;D

Finally, a fellow member that luvs cow manure 8) 8) 8) I use it all the time with my fruit trees! ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 05:38:16 PM »
Hi Bananimal,

Finally, a fellow member that luvs cow manure 8) 8) 8) I use it all the time with my fruit trees! ;D

Jack here is a banana replacement for you  ;D; http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1652725

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
now the banana band is abound!

I see who loves musa now!

your close to talking me into a banana, but I'm looking for the Pickering of bananas I guess ( someone made a thread about this already, now i realize how genius a thread this is!)

If I grew one, it would have to stay under 8ft total height, and stay in a pot, and have amazingly graceful fruits!!!

now bananimal, the jury is yours to convince!

but be warned, u will b hard pressed, like "yes way" Jose Baez to get this plant off the hook!  when I look at musa, I see a plant, guilty of being too much trouble to grow...thanks for opening my closed mind a hair...the I can almost see the light!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 06:54:07 PM »
Banana trees are pest prone?  I do not see that around here in the D.R. they seem to grow all over the place like weeds, with little to no care.

In this video below, these trees are on a piece of land a friend of mine bought, and have not had any care for years, ( other than poachers ) and they all seem healthy to me.

Banana Trees

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »
Ya in FL nematodes are a problem, along with a bunch of other stuff...and don't forget cold weather.

I'd imagine growing nannerz for u is a easy as banana creme pie.

:)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »
I like banana mashing, rather than banana bashing. Mashed bananas are one of my favorite toppings. Also one of my favorite fruits. Probably in pounds the fruit i eat the most of. Usually have 2-3 stalks cut off and ripening at all times.
Here bananas grow wild in practically all gullies and canyons, so they are very easy to grow. But i think original intent of Adam's was to say that he prefers not to grow them for sale, and in that i totally agree. It's just too difficult to produce totally "clean" material, especially if you are competing with TC labs around you that propagate them. If you are growing them for fun and home consumption it's a totally different story than growing them for profit. So i didn't really feel it was any real bashing. Subject heading was a bit deceptive.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »
I'm here to talk trash don't be fooled Oscar!  I'm just trying to be unbiased somehow!

But you are right about everything else!  U summed it up best!  I eatem and lovem, but won't grow them as a fruit grower or nursery man!

I like banana mashing, rather than banana bashing. Mashed bananas are one of my favorite toppings. Also one of my favorite fruits. Probably in pounds the fruit i eat the most of. Usually have 2-3 stalks cut off and ripening at all times.
Here bananas grow wild in practically all gullies and canyons, so they are very easy to grow. But i think original intent of Adam's was to say that he prefers not to grow them for sale, and in that i totally agree. It's just too difficult to produce totally "clean" material, especially if you are competing with TC labs around you that propagate them. If you are growing them for fun and home consumption it's a totally different story than growing them for profit. So i didn't really feel it was any real bashing. Subject heading was a bit deceptive.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »
I'm here to talk trash don't be fooled Oscar!  I'm just trying to be unbiased somehow!

But you are right about everything else!  U summed it up best!  I eatem and lovem, but won't grow them as a fruit grower or nursery man!

If you lived here i'm sure you would have them all around your yard. But there i guess you have enough challenges already! Here bananas take a lot of abuse and still produce stalks. But to get really good giant stalks you have to feed, Feed, FEED them all the time. I don't ever feed mine and still get bananas coming out of my ears!  :D
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Alexi

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »
Hi Bananimal,

Jack here is a banana replacement for you  ;D; http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1652725

ahahahaha  ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
Hi Bananimal,

ahahahaha  ;D

Knew you would find that one funny, I am actually growing that Opuntia out. I will update you when I do get some fruit, if it does indeed taste banana like.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 09:47:03 AM »
Hi Bananimal,

ahahahaha  ;D

Knew you would find that one funny, I am actually growing that Opuntia out. I will update you when I do get some fruit, if it does indeed taste banana like.

Hi Nullzero,

Keep me updated...my friend! Banana like flavor...sure sounds like a keeper!!! ;)

I will post pics of the Prickly pear harvest this year!  I luv to eat them cold...so delicious!!!!

Time is like a river.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 01:26:54 PM »
Banana trees are pest prone?  I do not see that around here in the D.R. they seem to grow all over the place like weeds, with little to no care.

They thrive with neglect in South Florida. They can be invasive. I have seen people dig up an established banana path. They try to uproot everything but sure enough it comes back