Author Topic: Yard Update 5/18/12......some good, some not so good  (Read 13086 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Yard Update 5/18/12......some good, some not so good
« on: May 18, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »
Some of the yard happenings today include a major disaster with regard to my Duncan mango.  One of the very few trees this year that had a decent crop on it.  The main upward branch snapped sending 70+, probably just slightly immature mangoes to the ground.

Here's some more pleasant shots....the first is the Young/Tebow in the foreground with Nam Doc Mai and Nam Doc Mai See Tong behind it. These trees have smaller than usual crops...but at least there is some crop.

What is that big brown cluster of dead leaves up in that Cogshall mango tree?  A frickin' squirrels nest.

Here is an update on my seedling rollinia:

One last shot of a decent crop on another of my mango trees.  This is a seedling I grew from a Carabao fruit I bought at the Fairchild Mango Festival a bunch of years ago.  I also have a Phillipine grafted mango from Zills that is producing as heavily.  As far as I can tell, thease are related, but different mangoes.

All for now.

Harry
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:30:40 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Yard Update 5/18/12......some good, some not so good
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »
Heartbreaking to see that happen to your tree...One person in my neighborhood has there tree branches propped up with posts just to keep them from snapping....I think its too hard of a choice to thin fruits from a tree...you should shoot into the nest at night and take out your frustration on those darned squirrels!

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
Very sorry to see the Duncan's mishap.  Have you had heavy crops like that before?  Do you bother thinning or propping fruit-laden branches?  I hope over production is a problem I have to face with my mangos someday!  You have some beautiful trees there, Harry.

James
James

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »
Hi Harry :),

Your Slice of Paradise...sure looks YUMMY ;D ;D ;D The large mango trees and the Rollinia...looks  8)

Good luck with the harvest this year ;)

Thanks for posting.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »
How common is it to have a mango tree branch snap under the weight of too many fruits?

Harry, that Cogshall looks giant, or is it the angle of the photo?  I was under the impression the Cogshall is a semi-dwarf tree, growing 12 to 15 feet max.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 04:10:03 PM »
Looks like things are progressing nicely, sorry to hear about the mango tree. Perhaps you can use those green mangoes in cooking, maybe pickle them?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
Amazing pics ,, as always Harry ,, you have the best collection of Mango and tropical fruit trees ,,

Amr

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 05:06:11 PM »
Nice trees!  Looks amazingly delicious...

So u gonna sell some rollinia fruits??????????????????
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »
eek that sucks about the duncan. You've got a perfect prune point though right above that lower limb (where the red line is). Splitting like that doesn't heal well and will lead to disease and infection later on down the road.

Jeff  :-)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »
Your trees look very healthy and your mango trees are loaded with mangoes!  :) Sorry about your Duncan though.  :( I agree with Jeff, you should take advantage and prune the area where Jeff drew the red line.  Is your mamey sapote holding any small fruits?
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
How common is it to have a mango tree branch snap under the weight of too many fruits?

Harry, that Cogshall looks giant, or is it the angle of the photo?  I was under the impression the Cogshall is a semi-dwarf tree, growing 12 to 15 feet max.
It does not happen all the time but I would say it is definitely not uncommon.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »
Argh about the Duncan. You have my sympathies Harry. Hate to see good fruit go to waste  :(

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 07:28:10 PM »
That is awful. Too bad the branch couldn't wait a bit more until near ripeness...and then snap off. At least the 70 edible viable mangoes would be a consolation prize.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:39:24 PM by zands »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 07:38:12 PM »
Looks damn good to me! Harry, how old is that Duncan? That's a good size tree.....I bought mine thinking it was a dwarft.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »
That sucks Harry. Duncans are so damn good too! We always tie up and brace my mother's Duncan tree because this stuff happens. At least you have plenty of other trees to help you forget this !   
FloridaGreenMan

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »
Painful  :-[

Everything else looks great though  :)

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 08:47:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about the Duncan breaking. Everything else looks pretty good though.

Tony

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 08:55:19 PM »
Harry,

Makes me very sad to see one of my most favorite varieties snap like that!  Time for some chutney or green apple pie!

Jack

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 08:58:33 PM »
Very Sorry to hear about your Duncan mango tree...so unfortunate! I'm sure you'll find buyers or co-workers that would love to get their hands on those great looking green mangoes! They shouldn't go to waste I'm sure.

Great pictures as always and really enjoyed seeing pictures of your slice of Tropical paradise, thanks!!

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 09:18:50 PM »
Nice looking trees. I'm curious on how the tebow taste. I got one growing that I planted a few years ago and it got really burnt back from the 09/10 freeze but has since recovered. But, alas, no fruit. 

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Bumski's Harry!  But everything else looks excellent and right on schedule!
I had no idea this was even an "uncommon" experience with mangos...

Luckily my Edward will NEVER have this problem.... ;D

MFang

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 12:16:43 AM »
Very tough to see Harry, my old apricot used to do the same thing.  "Organic pruning".

On the plus side, even the worst day in your yard is better than many people's entire year of fruit.

best wishes,
-Ethan

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 12:59:46 AM »
Hey Harry,

That must be pretty hard to deal with....when a tree with just a "Decent" crop drops approximately 70 mangos.  You got it too too Good my friend.  Nice pics as always.  Thanks Harry

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 08:10:42 AM »
Thanks to all for the words of consolation and for the compliments.

Quote from: Central Floridave link=topic=1363.msg18359#msg18
359 date=1337390330
Nice looking trees. I'm curious on how the Tebow Young tastes. I got one growing that I planted a few years ago and it got really burnt back from the 09/10 freeze but has since recovered. But, alas, no fruit. 

Dave, unfortuantely, I can only report mediocrity when it comes to Young/Tebow.....flavorwise, anyway.  Nice looking mango, disease resistance for sure, but not in my top two tiers of mangoes on the flavor scale.

Looks damn good to me! Harry, how old is that Duncan? That's a good size tree.....I bought mine thinking it was a dwarft.

Joe: My Duncan tree was a raffel prize from a Fairchild Mango Festival back in the mid-1990's.  It has been a slower growing tree for me.  Then in 2006, Hurricane Wilma broke the tree down to a stump about 4 feet high.  So what you see for tree growth was from the last 6 years after a Hurricane style major "pugging." Its not a true dwarf, but definitely a slower grower and very manageable size-wise.

Harry, what an unfortunate loss. Wow that really hurts. I can feel your pain brother. Do your NDM mangoes split? I have yet to get one from my tree that did not split. Rollinia looking awesome.

Why don't you knock down that squirrel nest? I have done it a few times and sent the nesting mother scrambling just when she finished building the nest.

Omar:
My NDM do split, but not always.  If we have any heavy rains at all, they are splitting for sure.  Without heavy rains, less so, but still a risk if left on the tree too long.  You have to harvest slightly early to avoid this.  it isn't easy to time the picking but just watching the size of fruit, the first fruit that splits and animal activity in relation to the fruit gives some pretty good guidance on when the fruits can be picked to ripen off the tree.  My problem is that I hate to pick fruit while still hard and green as I have so many mangoes in a typical year that I want to leave fruit on the tree, for as long as possible, such that the season could be extended for each particular tree.

As far as attacking the squirrel's nest....while I hate the damage that squirreals do, I just can't bring myself to destroying the nest. I'd much rather let the local hawks, foxes, dogs, car traffic, etc take the job of controlling the squirrel population. I should be a lot harder on them, but its not in my nature.

eek that sucks about the duncan. You've got a perfect prune point though right above that lower limb (where the red line is). Splitting like that doesn't heal well and will lead to disease and infection later on down the road.

Thanks, Jeff....will give the cut consideration as soon as the fruits on the remaining portion of the tree mature.

Nice trees!  Looks amazingly delicious...
So u gonna sell some rollinia fruits??????????????????

Adam......oh that I would have enough to sell.  Probably will be just enough for local consumption.  I expect it to be one of my star offerings for the fruit tastings that I have for visitors. So....come on down to taste! I definitely don't want to count my chickens before they hatch or my rollinias before they are ready to roll.

Very sorry to see the Duncan's mishap.  Have you had heavy crops like that before?  Do you bother thinning or propping fruit-laden branches?  I hope over production is a problem I have to face with my mangos someday!  You have some beautiful trees there, Harry.
James

James.....this tree bears fairly consistant and quite heavily each year (once it regained its canopy after the Hurricane).  It has never broken down before.  I do wonder if any of my dogs had any part in this.  Sometimes they'll have a possum or raccoon up in a tree and all of the lower branches are subject to be damaged or taken down.  The thing is, I did not hear the usual noise that comes along with the dog induced tree trimming.  And, this was an upward pointing branch, not even sure how I would have braced it, even if I thought about bracing it prior to the loss. Mango branch breaking is not that uncommon.  My worst mango limb break down occurred with my Bombay mango.  I grew it into a gorgeous, well pruned (a la Richard Campbell) tree. Lots of laterilization of branches.  Then it had a fairly heavy crop one year and every lateral branch broke back to the main trunk.  I lost over 300 mangoes.

Anyway, looks like mango season is rearing its head slowly here at my house.  The first offcicial ripened fruit has not been eaten as of yet, but its getting very, very close.

Harry

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:47:34 PM by murahilin »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »
sorry about the duncan Harry. those Rollinia's look awesome. and boy, are you a softie or what. there is very little I wouldnt do to a squirrel but then again they decimate my stone fruit crop year in year out