Author Topic: First Taste - Maha Chanok mango. Weird flavor....  (Read 4352 times)

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
First Taste - Maha Chanok mango. Weird flavor....
« on: June 06, 2018, 12:02:01 PM »
So I finally got to eat a fruit from my Maha Chanok mango tree.  It's a beautiful fruit to look at, it's incredibly sweet (frankly, bordering too sweet) and the texture is really really nice.  BUT, there is a very weird and unappealing flavor in the aftertaste.  Has anyone else noticed this? 

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: First Taste - Maha Chanok mango. Weird flavor....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 12:05:54 PM »
I have tasted that before. I have also had great fruit without that weirdness.
-Josh

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:09:29 PM »
I have tasted that before. I have also had great fruit without that weirdness.

Thanks, Josh.  Was the fruit without the aftertaste from the same tree?  I'm hoping so because, other than that strange flavor, it's a nearly perfect piece of fruit.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:35:07 PM »
Not sure. They were from a farm.
-Josh

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »
I've heard that before. Yet, I've never detected anything strange. MC is best when eaten just a tad green.
Jeff  :-)

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »
I've heard that before. Yet, I've never detected anything strange. MC is best when eaten just a tad green.
Thanks for the advice, Jeff.  I'll definitely try that.  Fully ripened fruit are a bit too sweet for my taste, so slightly green may be a better option.

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 05:13:25 PM »
Never detected any aftertaste on mine.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 06:10:01 PM »
Along with NDM, Maha Chanok is one of the most over rated mangoes IMHO.  Maybe if you like "one note" asian mangoes you might like it.  But both myself & friends didn't give it a good score for flavor in a mango tasting & comparison session.  A lot of people seem to think it's great tho.  If only they tasted as good as they look.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 07:17:57 PM »
Don't pan a mango until you've had it over multiple seasons and at varying stages of ripeness. It took me about 3 years before I finally figured out MC's sweet spot. Now, it's one of my favorites.

The trick with many of the SE asian mangoes is to eat them a little green, where the flavor profile is a complex mix of sweet and tart. Eat them fully ripe, and the experience can be disappointing for the typical North American palate.

Along with NDM, Maha Chanok is one of the most over rated mangoes IMHO.  Maybe if you like "one note" asian mangoes you might like it.  But both myself & friends didn't give it a good score for flavor in a mango tasting & comparison session.  A lot of people seem to think it's great tho.  If only they tasted as good as they look.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
Don't pan a mango until you've had it over multiple seasons and at varying stages of ripeness. It took me about 3 years before I finally figured out MC's sweet spot. Now, it's one of my favorites.

The trick with many of the SE asian mangoes is to eat them a little green, where the flavor profile is a complex mix of sweet and tart. Eat them fully ripe, and the experience can be disappointing for the typical North American palate.

Jeff,

How do you tell when it's time to pick? Is there any blush showing and is the fruit hard or have a little
give to it when squeezed?
Michael

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
At first sign of give when squeezed firmly with tip of thumb. Might take a little trial and error.

Jeff,

How do you tell when it's time to pick? Is there any blush showing and is the fruit hard or have a little

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 02:26:26 PM »
At first sign of give when squeezed firmly with tip of thumb. Might take a little trial and error.

Jeff,

Thank you!
Michael

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 03:08:42 PM »

Jeff,

Thanks for the information, Jeff.  I'll try the rest of them a little greener.  There are still quite a few on the tree.  Can they be ripened indoors as well, or do you suggest tree-ripening these?

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 10:29:05 AM »

Hi Jeff, I've taken your advice and eaten the rest of the Maha fruits slightly under ripe.  And they are excellent!  Thanks for the heads up :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »
YAY!

I generally prefer to ripen indoors, which prevents any issues with internal breakdown (ie, jelly seed).

Hi Jeff, I've taken your advice and eaten the rest of the Maha fruits slightly under ripe.  And they are excellent!  Thanks for the heads up :-)

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 12:28:54 PM »
Thanks again.  It's a lovely mango if you know when to eat it !!!