Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940272 times)

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #3025 on: January 16, 2020, 11:14:43 AM »
Today I saw on Instagram this is called Pitaya Costela. Has anyone heard of this?
❀ Sergey ❀

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: January 16, 2020, 03:33:35 PM »
WOW! Thank's!   ;D

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: January 16, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »
Looks like Selenicereus anthonyanus.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: January 17, 2020, 01:27:01 AM »
Looks like Selenicereus anthonyanus.
I think you're right, this is very similar to Selenicereus Anthonyanus
❀ Sergey ❀

PlantInstructions

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Plant Instructions
« Reply #3029 on: February 05, 2020, 05:44:40 PM »
If you guys are looking for extra info, I wrote a post about how to grow dragon fruit that might be helpful! https://plantinstructions.com/tropical-fruit/how-to-grow-dragon-fruit

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: February 26, 2020, 02:45:44 AM »
Hi guys, today I am making pots for dragonfruit, I have a question. What is the best rack height as shown in the photo?
❀ Sergey ❀

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: February 26, 2020, 03:50:30 AM »
I'm no expert but I've seen different heights from really short to pretty tall. It probably comes down to preference and ease of harvesting and maintenance. Mine is around 4 1/2 or 5 feet tall, I'm going to be up potting some cuttings from last year and I plan on making the post maybe a foot shorter.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: February 26, 2020, 03:55:54 AM »
I'm no expert but I've seen different heights from really short to pretty tall. It probably comes down to preference and ease of harvesting and maintenance. Mine is around 4 1/2 or 5 feet tall, I'm going to be up potting some cuttings from last year and I plan on making the post maybe a foot shorter.
Thanks for your reply. I think 5 feet will be the best height. Maybe someone else will give advice.
❀ Sergey ❀

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: February 26, 2020, 11:32:54 AM »
5ft is a nice height.  You want to be able to easily reach over the top support to trim up the vines.
Brad Spaugh

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: February 26, 2020, 12:25:05 PM »
5ft is a nice height.  You want to be able to easily reach over the top support to trim up the vines.
Brad, I have to keep my plants in the greenhouse during the cold season, if the height is above 5 feet, this will be a problem for me.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:41:36 PM by Forester »
❀ Sergey ❀

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: February 26, 2020, 12:54:36 PM »
Brad, I have to keep my plants in the greenhouse during the cold season, if the height is above 5 feet, this will be a problem for me.

Thrn make it 4ft, it doesnt really matter that much.  Moving dragonfruit plants is a big pain though so plan accordingly.  They are heavy, sharp, awkward.  Not a fun plant to move around. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:04:31 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: February 26, 2020, 01:13:21 PM »

Thrn make it 4ft, it doesnt really matter that much.  Moving dragonfruit plants is a big pain though so plan accordingly.  They are heavy, sharp, awkward.  Not a fun plant to move around.
Unfortunately, there are no other methods to grow dragonfruit in Russia. Thank you for your advice, I will take this into account.
❀ Sergey ❀

scottsurf

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: February 26, 2020, 01:49:20 PM »
hi brad thanks for the plants they look great
the guy from spicy exotics says his are 5 feet

also this guy has them at 4 feet here s a video for referance
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAcsFWeMEg&t=101s

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: February 27, 2020, 02:36:57 AM »
Guys, I have another question. What land is better to use for dragonfruit? I make a mixture of cow compost and perlite, but a Brazilian farmer told me it was better to use coconut and sand. What are your opinions on this?
❀ Sergey ❀

Anto989

• South Italy , calabria region near the tirrenian coast
    • View Profile
    • The exotic farm
« Reply #3039 on: April 04, 2020, 03:45:14 AM »
Here we go! South Italy: buds on dark star,voodoo c. and makisupa, the very first plants budding this year among me and my friends/followers

mcclan3

• Texas, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: April 09, 2020, 07:11:42 PM »
After a long bout of health problems, I'm back to my dragon fruit. The person who was taking care of the plants for me didn't do a great job, so all 10 of my plants have been reduced to a pile of unlabeled stragglers in a single pot :( While I work on rehabilitating them enough to ID, where can I go to get more cuttings online? It looks like Matt's has completely closed down and Spicy Exotics is completely out of the Natural Mystic, David Bowie, Purple Haze, and Physical Graffiti I'd like to start with on this go-round.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: April 10, 2020, 06:54:23 AM »
After a long bout of health problems, I'm back to my dragon fruit. The person who was taking care of the plants for me didn't do a great job, so all 10 of my plants have been reduced to a pile of unlabeled stragglers in a single pot :( While I work on rehabilitating them enough to ID, where can I go to get more cuttings online? It looks like Matt's has completely closed down and Spicy Exotics is completely out of the Natural Mystic, David Bowie, Purple Haze, and Physical Graffiti I'd like to start with on this go-round.

I can help, PM sent.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: April 10, 2020, 11:24:07 AM »

(Hey Brad, I finally had a chance to pot up the cuttings I picked up from you and Tye at Spicy Exotics. Thank You again!)

The shorter ones have been potted for a few weeks. The taller ones in the 2nd picture were potted 2 days ago
Sergio

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: April 10, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »
Cool, I've got a ton of DF stuff and new types here.  Just waiting for the weather to clear up to do some planting and cutting sales.
Brad Spaugh

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: April 11, 2020, 01:25:09 PM »
Cool, I've got a ton of DF stuff and new types here.  Just waiting for the weather to clear up to do some planting and cutting sales.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing them 😁
Sergio

mcclan3

• Texas, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: April 18, 2020, 08:15:13 PM »
I finally sat down and sorted out the bits left from my plants. Looks like I have 5 solid pieces I can restart from. It's basically back to the beginning, but I can work with it! I have a few new cuttings ready to go, too, so I'm interested to compare the growth on the 8+ year old pieces I'm reviving with the new pieces.

I do have one that is what looks like a mostly dead stem, but it has a ton of fresh roots growing from it. I stuck it in a pot with fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath. If the little guy shows any signs of growth at all, I'll make sure to snap some photos, cause this one is definitely the underdog of the bunch.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: April 19, 2020, 09:16:05 PM »
Does anyone know the problem with my dragon fruit? They've been getting spots and rotting

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: April 23, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »
The rusty looking spots are a fungus or bacteria. Using a decent anti-fungal spray usually clears it up on my plants. Also, as a side note, if you are using water based fertilizers like Miracle Grow or the like, avoid spraying on the plants branches while you are treating them for the rust. It seems to feed of the fertilizer just like the plant does. You can still fertilize, just avoid getting it on the branches of the plants, if you can.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: April 24, 2020, 01:06:28 AM »
Hi guys. I saw this on facebook. Do you think this is real or fake?  :o

❀ Sergey ❀

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: April 24, 2020, 10:57:31 PM »
Can anyone explain to me why dragon fruit farms often grow their dragon fruit in containers vs in the ground?

Brad
Brad