Author Topic: What is the best tasting avocado variety you have had?  (Read 20995 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Brad Spaugh

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: What is the best tasting avocado variety you have had?
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2018, 01:28:39 AM »
Excellent reference for CA avocados.  But fuerte topping sir prize?

Both are excellent. Subjective.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2018, 08:37:16 AM »
Excellent reference, thanks.  Here's a good video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpH5Kpzxy8

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2018, 09:46:05 AM »
CRFG Jennifer said on FB; “The best listing of avocado varieties and growing details from Julie Frink and Douglas Van Mullen. Orange County Chapter.”
https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/AVOCADO%20-%20MASTER%20VARIETIES%20WITH%20SCHEDULE.pdf?token=AWxOhuBz8wnk_IZ4Fi9GhNQoFu3SkA-yGRccZ_WZ4nVzuhPshY-XZcTGUcOB94FVwdWidrjRud8NzGr6dE3-OOk3SwNOCsgGzL03_7H6YTIAYz3dmm_Xg4ZjQJxEb5iE-GJq6BMnGAA6gL6SEwSK0pjSZsCf96ouUIpsSNA5ft3LcAzgvafKURCq286YeLSevX74xOfdOxLQdEBq-yqVxfps

I'd like to share this wonderful file but no go - can't log into their Facebook page and for some reason the file doesn't copy so I can paste it.  Probably a thing with Adobe Acrobat since I'm using the free download.

Thanks

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2018, 10:26:28 PM »
Use Chrome. Click on the link and it will download the pdf file.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2018, 07:55:01 AM »

Thanks, but even Chrome doesn't work.  That's OK. Some how I got the file when first posted.  If someone wants to read it I'll just email it to them. 

I noticed Julie Frink recommending Holiday in her "if you had one avocado variety to plant....."   ditty.  How's the taste and quality of that fruit compared to Reed which it's a sport of?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:07:05 AM by Mark in Texas »

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2018, 08:33:40 PM »

I'd like to share this wonderful file but no go - can't log into their Facebook page and for some reason the file doesn't copy so I can paste it.  Probably a thing with Adobe Acrobat since I'm using the free download.

Thanks

I downloaded the PDF file to my computer.  Maybe I can send it to you if you send me a PM request.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2018, 10:55:54 PM »
I put the PDF on my google drive, heres a link.  Hopefully it works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s46Wp0xUMscCvQ2wn78aeAFhhXIUpNB7/view?usp=drivesdk
Brad Spaugh

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2018, 12:46:28 AM »
Thanks a lot, Spaugh!
Like Mark, I was able to see it once from my phone, but can't repeat it again afterward.
Now, it's saved in my computer for future reference...!

Sam

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2018, 12:48:46 AM »
Yeah I was able to see it at first also.  It saved on my phone, now its on google forever
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2018, 01:10:23 AM »
I thought she said reed came from nimlioh?

My holiday has flowered a few times but would always drop the blooms. Very flimsy. Reportedly 32 ounce fruit with excellent taste. I got frustrated with it after 2016 when a little wind blew away hundreds of flowers, so I pruned back to main branch and let it regrow. Had a fuller shape now l.

K

Thanks, but even Chrome doesn't work.  That's OK. Some how I got the file when first posted.  If someone wants to read it I'll just email it to them. 

I noticed Julie Frink recommending Holiday in her "if you had one avocado variety to plant....."   ditty.  How's the taste and quality of that fruit compared to Reed which it's a sport of?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2018, 08:47:45 AM »
Yeah I was able to see it at first also.  It saved on my phone, now its on google forever

You the man, thanks.

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »
About Holiday:
I'm not sure why Julie Frink mentions it as one to plant if you have a small space in your yard, except that the tree is very small. I've never known a Holiday tree that is very productive, especially compared to some other smallish avocado trees like Pinkerton or Gwen. My suggestion to someone with a small space would be to grow one of those or a Reed or Lamb, and use your pruning shears to keep it to size. You're guaranteed to get more fruit that way. And isn't the fruit the reason to grow an avocado tree?
gregalder.com/yardposts/

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
Most people don't prune. Just look around.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2018, 03:57:11 PM »
So what is the best tasting avocado for Florida? West coast and Tx reviews won't necessarily apply to us down here.

I am growing Oro Negro. Tree is probably 8 feet or more and quite bushy. No flowers yet. Was thinking of adding another variety/top work, but not sure what would be best to compliment ON.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
Because my trees are mainly in pots, they get stressed very easily. Between hot dry summers and Santa Ana winds, they defoliate easily but are slow to leaf out again, and when they do it’s mainly at the new growth tips, leaving the trees with long stubby bare branches exposed to the hot sun. As I e learned more about growing trees in pots, I’ve gotten better and the trees are healthier but a part of that is pruning them back and letting them grow out again. That way I can reset the trees configuration and have leaves that shade the main trunk and branches.

I think the lesson is that when the tree isn’t growing the way it should (for whatever reason) pruning can give you a second chance.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »
More info on Holiday (originally XX3):
(Guat) 18-28 oz. fruit, pear shaped, green, dark yellow flesh, excellent flavor, medium pit, peels easily, glossy leaves, persea mite and thrip resistant, small tree with skirting shape, A blossom type. Produces well. Fruit is hidden inside tree. Holds well. Tree should be made available to the home gardener for it has the best fruit for a small tree that I am familiar with &is better that any available at nurseries at this time. Several trees at South Coast Research Station, Irvine, CA. (J.R.Frink 1998)This is a "grandchild" of the old "Murrieta Green" variety, which had a green, good-quality fruit, commercially too large; on a tree that was short & spreading-easy to pick,& to spray if necessary. XX3 is a good producer of rather similar large, fine, green fruits. The tree is almost unique among thousands of seedlings in that it tends to sprawl on the ground. This latter trait rules it out commercially-plus the over-sized fruit. Commercially, XX3 is without value. But, for backyard purposes it might be useful in CA. An avocado tree that remains very low could be desirable where a view, or sunlight transmission, is wanted; or, it could be grown on a (sturdy) fence. The green skin would be no detriment, & the large fruit size could be a non-commercial advantage. (Bergh 2000)

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2018, 05:14:50 PM »

About Holiday:
I'm not sure why Julie Frink mentions it as one to plant if you have a small space in your yard, except that the tree is very small. I've never known a Holiday tree that is very productive, especially compared to some other smallish avocado trees like Pinkerton or Gwen. My suggestion to someone with a small space would be to grow one of those or a Reed or Lamb, and use your pruning shears to keep it to size. You're guaranteed to get more fruit that way. And isn't the fruit the reason to grow an avocado tree?

I agree with both these points. Another point, precociousness. Most homeowners want fruit now. The younger the tree that produces fruit, the happier the buyers.  People don't want to wait 3 years.  Holiday, Lamb Hass, Hass, Fantastic all produced fruit the first year out of a 3 gal. I didn't let them hold, but that would make homeowner's happy with a dooryard tree.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »
I'm gonna say Reed is the best all around SoCal avocado.  Its compact upright tree, heavy bearer, self fertile, excellet taste.   Doesnt suffer from heat stress or salt burn.  Whats not to like?  What I don't understand is why its not in every supermarket?
Brad Spaugh

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »
Reed Reed Reeeeeeeeeed!!!!

If I was Marty McFly I would use my DeLorean to go back in time, murder Rudolph Hass and make Reed the standard avocado of California and Mexico.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2018, 07:53:19 AM »
Because my trees are mainly in pots, they get stressed very easily. Between hot dry summers and Santa Ana winds, they defoliate easily but are slow to leaf out again, and when they do it’s mainly at the new growth tips,

Avocado trees have a shallow spreading root system, get frequent water and enjoy a thick mulch of their own leaves.  If you can't mimic that then you won't be successful.   The only way I know of doing it is like I am with large, wide RootBuilder pots.  They belong in the ground.

A network of white feeder roots can be found (or should be if you're doing this right) under the mulch as shown with mulch pulled back on a Reed. 

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2018, 08:03:16 AM »
I'm gonna say Reed is the best all around SoCal avocado.  Its compact upright tree, heavy bearer, self fertile, excellet taste.   Doesnt suffer from heat stress or salt burn.  Whats not to like?  What I don't understand is why its not in every supermarket?

The industry i.e. CALAVO doesn't care about taste, only ease of packing, warehousing, shipping and market acceptance - if it aint black, it aint beautiful.   ;)  Part of the reason why U.C.R.'s attempt to bump Hass with Gwen (which produces twice as much in half the acreage) was the skin remained green.  The Hass we get around here is often in poor shape with bruises or black spots under the peel and immature.

Sad, didn't believe it at first, but the Mexican drug cartels are controlling much of Mexico's avocado industry and doing what they do best - threatening and intimidating farmers, packers, local cops.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2018, 06:39:57 PM »
I'm looking for the best tasting, easy to care for CADO for South Florida...(Broward County)
Thanks South Florida Peeps
Joe

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2018, 06:44:28 PM »
I'm looking for the best tasting, easy to care for CADO for South Florida...(Broward County)
Thanks South Florida Peeps
I don't think we've found it yet!  Oro Negro is good, but it has a huge seed, and so far for me it hasn't borne a lot of fruit.  Sure wish we had somewhere in South Florida that was growing and experimenting with dozens of varieties like UCR does in California.  Carlos in Homestead was doing his best, and then apparently Hurricane Irma wiped him out.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:51:59 PM by johnb51 »
John