Author Topic: "Kahaluu" Avocado Tree  (Read 10273 times)

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
"Kahaluu" Avocado Tree
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:35:00 AM »
Hello Friends,

After hearing and reading about all of the superior Hawaiian Avocado varieties, I am on a Quest to get one of them.  More specifically, I am after the "Kahaluu" or the "Malama".  Does anyone know where I can get either of these Varieties, preferably the "Kahaluu"?  Does anyone have either of these trees and is willing to share or sell some Budwood? 

I would very much appreciate any help or information on where or how to get either of these Hawaiian Avocado varieties.

Thanks,

Jacob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: "Kahaluu" Avocado Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:09:38 AM »
I have scion wood of Kahaluu and Malama, and some other cultivars of avocado as well, like Semil 34, Sharwil, Murashige, Linda, Green Gold. Contact me offgroup if interested.
Oscar

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »
Hi. I am new to this site and I am looking to either purchase gourmet avocado trees or try to graft scion wood. I live in Conroe Texas 8B according to the zone map, but go through a lot of effort to protect and maintain my tropical fruit trees. I figure if you are going to put out the effort you may as well get the best tasting avocados possible. From what I've read the Kahaluu is supposed to be one of the best so I would like to give it a try. Any info would be great.
Thanks

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »
I don't think you could grow Kahaluu, Malama, Sharwill, Green Gold, etc., in Conroe, TX, no matter how much you protect them.  Don't you like any of the cold-tolerant varieties that will grow in TX?
John

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »
Hi. I already have several avocado trees with new fruit this year, but I want to try some of the gourmet varieties after reading some of the reviews. I also grow oranges, lemons, limes, tangerines and others. I live in a unique micro-environment which stays pretty protected except for the very worst freezes. My current avocado trees are Stuart, bacon, Brogdon and a Little Caddo.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 05:24:38 PM »
I don't think it's known yet what the cold tolerance of any of the Hawaiian avocado cultivars is. Sharwil might be known its cold tolerance as that is an Australian avocado and has been grown commercially for a long time.
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 08:33:03 PM »
Sharwil survives low 30s with minimal leaf damage at least for me.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »
There are five avocado varieties (2 each) I got from Oscar. All of them grafted 35 days ago, but Kahaluu is by far most impressive. I now fully understand statements like "very vigorous horizontal grower" and "grows like weeds". This little guy has steroids in his veins!
Anyhow, this posting is not so much about Kahaluu, but just want to get advice on treating this young graft. First step is I need to step up growing bag. Second would it be ok to start foliar and root fertilization programs for such young graft? Also it has been in almost in 100% shade so far. I have nursery house divided into 80% and 60% shade. Should I introduce to sun slowly at 80% first? Sorry for too many questions. These are my first grafted avocadoes I'm dealing with...

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »
Green Gold has proven to be more cold tolerant in my yard than any of the 6 other avocado varieties. It showed no ill effects from the extraordinarily cold weather we recently had and always seems to have new growth somewhere, the other Avo's were burned or stunted.

Durian lover your grafts look great. They like to come into the sun slowly for me so I would put them in 80% first and watch them grow. It's interesting how some varieties always seem to grow faster or take better from graft than others, or maybe it's my timing.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »
Glad to see you were so succesful with the avo grafts. I suggest using foliar feed and liquid soil fert, but at reduced concentration. Suggest 1/4 strength. Yes do move them slowly into sun. Suggest first transition to 80%, then 60%, then 35%, then full sun.
Oscar

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
Here's a cool link showing some Island Cados .

http://plantithawaii.com/sample-page/avocado/

The Green Gold sounds interesting to me , and will that type be found in the states .
I would like to attempt to buy some Bud-wood from Oscar, but im not an expert Grafter & would be interested in buying the Tree..

Ed..
Zone 10

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
What was the coldest night & where did you buy the tree ?

Ed..
Zone 10

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 11:05:40 PM »
What was the coldest night & where did you buy the tree ?

Ed..

Grafted in Sri Lanka. I don't think it ever goes below 65 F.  Rootstock trees from my friend's agriculture department stock. They grow hundreds of seedling for grafting. So, we just went there, picked some first seedling available in sight and grafted. I don't think I will ever know the rootstock, but don't really care. I'm sure some local variety adapted to local conditions.
Yes, Green Gold sounds the most promising. I'm planning to pair it with Kahaluu for A and B flowers.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 12:19:41 AM »
Here's a cool link showing some Island Cados .

http://plantithawaii.com/sample-page/avocado/

The Green Gold sounds interesting to me , and will that type be found in the states .
I would like to attempt to buy some Bud-wood from Oscar, but im not an expert Grafter & would be interested in buying the Tree..

Ed..

Suggest checking with Top Tropicals. They import plants from Plant it Hawaii. If they don't list Green Gold avocado they can probably get it for you. If not would be glad to send you scion wood. You can always have someone else do the graft that is experienced. Green Gold here is usually paired with Sharwil and they enhance each other's fruiting and overlap somewhat in and prolong the season. The fruit of Green Gold is very similar to Sharwil.
Oscar

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 05:27:53 AM »
Thanks Oscar !
Zone 10