Author Topic: 2019 Indian Mango Season  (Read 4059 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
2019 Indian Mango Season
« on: April 13, 2019, 09:11:08 PM »
A good friend just called me up and notified me that the local Indian supermarkets have their shipment of Indian Mangos in.

Here is a thread from last year.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=27305.msg315024#msg315024

From past experience, I know that the early Mangos are usually not in their prime but I decided to buy anyways. They had three varieties available. Alphonso was 37.99 a box, Banganpalli was 34.99 a box and Rajapuri was 34.99 a box.

I bought a box of Rajapuri. When they opened up the box, the Mangos were all green and relatively small considering that Rajapuri is a large mango that can get over a pound each.

The early Mangos are usually about 70-80% of their prime so I’m not expecting to be wowed by these fruit but I’m glad the Indian Mango season has begun

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Indian Mango Season
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 01:38:56 AM »
In Artesia, my friend reported those same varieties to be $35/box.
Warren

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »
That’s expensive for mediocre mangos. I’ll wait until kesars are release, only other mangos I enjoyed from India and Pakistan are kesar and Anwar Ratol 

599gh888

• 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:52:02 PM »
Hello All,

I have been calling Pioneer cash and carry in Artesia all day looking for Indian Mango.  Does anyone know if they are currently carrying any?  I want to buy some

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:49:50 PM »
Hello All,

I have been calling Pioneer cash and carry in Artesia all day looking for Indian Mango.  Does anyone know if they are currently carrying any?  I want to buy some

Yes.  They were there last weekend at the larger store on 183rd street.  Alphonso, Banganpali, and Rajapuri for $35/box.
Warren

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »
Ok I have 12 types of Mango, 10 from India and the other two from Vietnam and Indonesia.

Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »
Here is list what i currently tried/ate.

Vietnam Cat chu

Sindooram mango

Imam Passand

Romani (top) and Chandrakaran

Unknown mango from India

Gedong Mango from Indonesia (right)

Plus...
Mallika
Alphonso
Ammini
Chandanam

Moh'd

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 12:52:39 PM »
Wrong thread
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:59:59 PM by JF »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 05:02:59 PM »
As expected, the early season Mangos were horrible. The Rajapuri has about 9-10 fruit in a box but three of them were rotten, five were extremely under ripe and three were just decent tasting. The first fruit was the best. Most the fruit remained green and started wrinkling. The Brix for Rajapuri ranged from 12-15%. For around $35, I was only able to eat two mediocre fruit!

A good friend notified me that there were some excellent Kesar Mangos with Brix around 21% so I picked up two boxes but again, the fruit so far has been a disappointment. The two boxes of Kesar were mostly ripe already and the packing house did a horrible job sorting the fruit based on size.

Some fruit were tiny and others were good sized. Some of the fruit were rotten inside.

I did sample a few good tasting Kesars. They tasted sweet with good flavor but the Brix only registered 16%.

The mid to late season fruit is usually much better.

In Summary, they should not be shipping crappy Mangos here. There are some people, like myself, that are aware that the early season Mangos are sub par but the Rajapuri’s in particular were picked so under ripe that only 2 out of ten Mangos were edible. For what I paid, I expect for them to at least be edible.

Simon

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 01:53:15 AM »
Had a couple of kesars. I wasnt impressed. Tho these are better than any store bought mangoes such as manilas, ataulfos. 😂

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 08:37:53 AM »
Dont know if this helps you in Florida but this week i had quite a decent Badami mango from India here in Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tIcwwXbHcU&list=PL2AyaQ9frDUvKuCPQviG3Pt9BHXA6jKbz&index=40

Not too sweet but i did not expect much that early in the season.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »
I was in Cerritos yesterday but did not buy as mangoes had no smell to them. Also Frank tipped me saying majority are not good. I will wait for late May batch

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 05:57:31 PM »
Are these imported mangoes subjected to same hot water treatment like mangoes from Mexico or Latin America? If they are, these mangoes aren’t what they could potentially be taste wise.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 09:04:07 PM »
Are these imported mangoes subjected to same hot water treatment like mangoes from Mexico or Latin America? If they are, these mangoes aren’t what they could potentially be taste wise.

They nuke em
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 10:02:49 PM »
Yeah, like Brad mentioned, they are irradiated. From my experience, the irradiation doesn’t affect the flavor as much as hot water treatment. The issue with these early season Indian Mangos is that they picked them too early and they were poorly sorted.

Simon

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 12:30:20 PM »
Thanks so much for the heads up Simon! 👍🏽
Nate

599gh888

• 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »
Have anyone bought any Indian Mango recently?  My first batch from the store was very bad, kesar and alphonso.  I had to compost about half of the mango due to taste.  They were bland flavor wise.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 03:31:56 PM »
Have anyone bought any Indian Mango recently?  My first batch from the store was very bad, kesar and alphonso.  I had to compost about half of the mango due to taste.  They were bland flavor wise.

Most were certainly fit for compost.

I would only buy single fruit in the future if available.

Though Banganpalli was not even close, there were one or two good Alphonse and Kesar sold this year, but that was in early may.

I think the exported mangoes may not be representative.

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 05:13:55 PM »

I bought a box of Alphonsos and Banganpalli from my favorite Indian grocer about 10 days ago. It's always a coin toss whether you're gonna get something very good or bad. I got lucky this year though. The Banganpallis were as good as you can get and the Alphonsos were fantastic, with only a couple with small spots of spongy tissue and no internal breakdown, which is pretty common in Alphonsos. Generally I will encounter jelly seed and internal breakdowns in imported Indian/Pakistani mangos, but not this season (so far). The Kesars the wife got on June 8 were spectacular, much better than previous years. Some internal breakdown, but in only a few. It may all boil down to just how stringent the export companies and their farmers maintain their standards...

The pics were taken within the first day of purchase.
Alphonso, Banganpalli, Kesar, Kesar