Author Topic: Red lady papaya width/spacing?  (Read 3880 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Red lady papaya width/spacing?
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »
Pine Island nursery says it attains a width of 5'.  That seems low to me based on pictures. 

Is it more like 8' wide realistically?  I'm trying to space it out properly in my landscaping plans. 

Thanks

Brad
Brad

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Red lady papaya width/spacing?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:59:43 PM »
8' is more accurate, but spacing is not a big deal for papaya for 2 reasons: (1) there is so much space in between leaves and stalks that you don't need to worry about air flow, and (2) you're going to chop it down after 2 years anyway when it gets too tall to harvest.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »
Thanks Katie.  I appreciate your input. 

Do you happen to know if the Red Lady papaya stays small or not?  I have seen some references calling it a dwarf, but others do not mention that.

Brad
Brad

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 09:22:53 PM »
It gets just as tall as any papaya eventually. But dwarfs start flowering and setting fruit when they are as short as 2'. They are also thicker and stouter than other papaya. The desirability of dwarfs is that harvest is easier. It starts to get above 8' after the 2nd year, but you generally want to chop down papaya after the second year anyway. Did you know it is not a tree? It is an herb. That's why it grows so fast and is so easy to chop down.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:33:33 PM »
Based on the Red Lady papayas I've been growing, I would say 5 feet apart is okay, but no less than that.  6 feet would probably be ideal because the roots spread farther out than the tops.
John

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:59:37 PM »
I think 6ft would be best.   roots actually do not extend that far out,  and you could go closer, but branches / leaves may rub and bruise  of course if your only talking about two or three trees, than 5 ft is ok,   in a plantation setting you want a little room.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
5-6 feet is fine...and no, I would say it does NOT get as tall as any other papaya.  It's height is makes picking manageable as I have seen some papayas literally tower and make picking difficult.

One thing I would be curious is the seed source that Pine Island is using.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »
I bought certified seed from Aloha Seed in CA (alohaseed.com) and started my own plants.  Easy, inexpensive, and fun--the only way to go! ;D
John

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »
I bought certified seed from Aloha Seed in CA (alohaseed.com) and started my own plants.  Easy, inexpensive, and fun--the only way to go! ;D
Are some of these varieties genetically modified?
Samuel
Reunion Island

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 01:26:12 PM »
Are some of these varieties genetically modified?

No, they are not.  Red Lady is an F1 hybrid, but it is not genetically modified.  Aloha Seed Company is not Monsanto! ::)
John

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 05:08:18 PM »
Non of the Aloha Seed varieties listed on their website are GMOs.  "Rainbow" is the name of one transgenic variety I remember off the top of my head.

I believe the PRSV problem will be solved with natural breeding techniques, there is work being done, were wild PRSV resistant Carica varieties are being crossed with Carica papaya, they have found a way to get the pollen to stick adjusting environmental factors and what not.   Transgenic papayas are not allowed in EU. so I believe interest in GMO papaya varieties are dwindling.   plus Red lady, although not resistant to PRSV, is tolerant of it, meaning, that infected plants will still give a harvest to farmers with only minor losses.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk