Author Topic: Is trying to grow mangos just south of San Francisco worth trying?  (Read 2197 times)

hawk_941

• San Francisco, CA zone 10
    • View Profile
We are just south of San Francisco in zone 10a, in a little micro climate where we do not often get fog, but do get wind.  It doesn't get terribly hot here very often, but the yearly low temperature is usually in the high 30's, and we do see heatwaves (relative term) in September and early October.

I've heard that there are some cultivars that will grow here, but if I am growing in a pot and seeing only a few fruit each year, that does not seem worth it.  I would welcome any opinions and cultivar suggestions, if you think it is worth trying.

Thanks.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Is trying to grow mangos just south of San Francisco worth trying?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 08:25:26 AM »
Be better off growing a cherimoya. 20 gal cherimoya can produce +10 fruits a year.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 09:38:49 AM »
We are just south of San Francisco in zone 10a, in a little micro climate where we do not often get fog, but do get wind.  It doesn't get terribly hot here very often, but the yearly low temperature is usually in the high 30's, and we do see heatwaves (relative term) in September and early October.

I've heard that there are some cultivars that will grow here, but if I am growing in a pot and seeing only a few fruit each year, that does not seem worth it.  I would welcome any opinions and cultivar suggestions, if you think it is worth trying.

Thanks.
if your information is correct then you grow in the ground . My zone is 9b hit as low 20 and mango tree all over . If it small tree you do have to protect me once temperature hits around 32

hawk_941

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 12:33:59 AM »
Be better off growing a cherimoya. 20 gal cherimoya can produce +10 fruits a year.

Do you think even the mango cultivars that grow here would not put out much fruit?

I might consider cherimoya, though I've never had one.  I am also looking at a TR Hovey Papaya, as an option.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:36:59 AM by hawk_941 »

jason (palo alto)

• Sunset zone 17, USDA 10b Pacific Grove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 12:58:18 AM »
It's a waste of time to grow mangos if you have limited space. They will live because it doesn't get too cold but they will barely grow and the fruit will be tiny. You may never get fruit or you might eventually get some.
In my opinion many better fruit to try growing first
That being said - I'm in same climate down by Monterey and I am growing mangos but I've given up hope of ever getting a ripe fruit.

konan99

• Cupertino
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 01:41:42 AM »
There is a famous mango tree growing in Fremont.  It was growing next to the house and lots of stone underneath.  In addition, it is growing in the warmer part of Fremont. 

Bottomline, it's possible but it's probably not worth your time.  Even if you manage to grow the tree, the fruits probably needs some heat to become sweet.  I used to dream about building a greenhouse just to grow tropical fruits like wax apple but I have since given up.  Better spend my time on other subtropical fruits like guava and avocado.  At least they stand a chance the fruit well.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 12:03:25 PM »

Do you think even the mango cultivars that grow here would not put out much fruit?

I might consider cherimoya, though I've never had one.  I am also looking at a TR Hovey Papaya, as an option.

I'm with Nullzy, a cherimoya would be much more rewarding in your area. Mango will be a disappointment in most instances without high heat units, but cherimoya is closer to possible and (in my opinion) far more gratifying.

It's more vigorous a plant, more tolerant of lower temps, has fantastic smelling blooms, is a beautiful tree, and the fruit is remarkable.

hawk_941

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 01:14:49 AM »
It's a waste of time to grow mangos if you have limited space. They will live because it doesn't get too cold but they will barely grow and the fruit will be tiny. You may never get fruit or you might eventually get some.
In my opinion many better fruit to try growing first
That being said - I'm in same climate down by Monterey and I am growing mangos but I've given up hope of ever getting a ripe fruit.

That's disappointing to hear.  What cultivar(s) are you growing?  I was leaning towards a Carrie.  The trees fruit but never ripen, like a young fruit tree with it's first "crop" that showed up a year earllier than expected? 

hawk_941

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 01:17:58 AM »
There is a famous mango tree growing in Fremont.  It was growing next to the house and lots of stone underneath.  In addition, it is growing in the warmer part of Fremont. 

Bottomline, it's possible but it's probably not worth your time.  Even if you manage to grow the tree, the fruits probably needs some heat to become sweet.  I used to dream about building a greenhouse just to grow tropical fruits like wax apple but I have since given up.  Better spend my time on other subtropical fruits like guava and avocado.  At least they stand a chance the fruit well.

I read about the Fremont tree, but as you inferred, Fremont is much hotter than here, as is Hayward, where a guy named Stan has a producing tree.  I also read about a successful Glenn mango tree in San Rafael, which is warmer than here, but a much better comparison to our weather.  You think there's very little chance here of getting nice fruit out of, say, a Carrie mango?

hawk_941

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 01:28:31 AM »

I'm with Nullzy, a cherimoya would be much more rewarding in your area. Mango will be a disappointment in most instances without high heat units, but cherimoya is closer to possible and (in my opinion) far more gratifying.

It's more vigorous a plant, more tolerant of lower temps, has fantastic smelling blooms, is a beautiful tree, and the fruit is remarkable.

Is it possible to keep Cherimoya's small, around 8 feet tall and maybe 6-8 feet wide?  The spot I have is not large and is up against the house.  I just spent 5 minutes googling them and they seem quite a lot larger than something like a Carrie mango can be kept.  Are Cherimoya and Atemoya very similar?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 02:44:03 AM »
Cherimoya and atemoya are somewhat distinct. They differ greatly in climate preference. Where you are you don't have the heat required to have excellent mango, the atemoya has similar requirements/ preference.

I would highly recommend the cherimoya for your situation, which strongly favors it.

Cherimoya does well with intensive pruning, which should allow it to be a good producer once established, even at the size you suggest.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 01:38:59 PM »
Mango growing in the bay area is a waste of time and money.
I was trying to think of a better way to say it but blunt can be helpful.
Stan and the Fremont Mango are not a good baseline for Mango growing in Bay Area. All of the environmental factors that Mango’s like, we don’t have. ( summer humidity , winter temps high enough to get past root rot)
There is so many wonderful rare fruits to succeed with growing in the Bay Area and push the limits of possibilities with fruits like Longan or Lychee. Jujube & Jaboticaba.
I love soursop , jackfruit, mangosteen and Durian too but they just aren’t going to fruit here.

hawk_941

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 03:41:22 PM »
Thanks for your reply Bush.  I can appreciate bluntness as well as an informed opinion.  I considered Lychee and Jujube, but prefer mango.  If mango is not really an option, I will take another look at those two, as well as investigating Cherimoya.  Any thoughts on cultivars for any of the three?  As mentioned, space (width, even more than height) is an issue.  The spot I have gets tons of sun and has decent shelter from our formidable winds.

hawk_941

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 03:53:23 PM »
Cherimoya and atemoya are somewhat distinct. They differ greatly in climate preference. Where you are you don't have the heat required to have excellent mango, the atemoya has similar requirements/ preference.

I would highly recommend the cherimoya for your situation, which strongly favors it.

Cherimoya does well with intensive pruning, which should allow it to be a good producer once established, even at the size you suggest.

Thanks, Oolie.  Any suggestions on cultivars to look at and where to buy online?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk