Author Topic: Question about Carrie mango color when ripe  (Read 901 times)

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
Question about Carrie mango color when ripe
« on: August 01, 2020, 08:58:07 PM »
I have a really nice 4-5 yr old Carrie and not impressed with the fruit. I just watched a youtube of a tasting of Carrie, they were more yellow than green! Mine maybe have a tiny area of the hint of yellow. My question is, does the quality get watered down/change with several growers grafting off different trees? Seems like it would be ever changing slightly till its not a Carrie??

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Carrie mango color when ripe
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 10:10:06 PM »
Interesting question. 
John

irun5k

• Saint Petersburg, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 10:10:32 PM »
There is no genetic drift when grafting, even across multiple "generations" of trees because you're still dealing with the same genetic material.

I prefer to eat ours on I guess what would be considered the "less ripe" side.  When they start turning yellow on the tree they aren't very good IMHO.  I usually pick them when they are at full maturity but still green.  Then we eat the when they give just a bit (about as soft as your forehead) and perhaps with a hint of yellow.  That way you still get the Carrie sweetness but also a little of the tartness that disappears completely when they are more ripe.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 10:25:44 PM »
Ah, so only a sport is different with altered genes?
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 11:35:14 PM »
I recently ate about 8 carries and they were 90% green.
It was a freinds tree and he left town. I noticed a squirrel had eaten one
and one was lying on the ground. I like to lift the mango sideways and when they
are ready they pop off. I ended up taking about 4 of them and within a couple days
they softened. They have an explosion of flavor to me. I went back and took the last
4. I wasn't sure the very first time I ate one but the next day I ate another and I was hooked.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 12:16:11 AM »
I have a really nice 4-5 yr old Carrie and not impressed with the fruit. I just watched a youtube of a tasting of Carrie, they were more yellow than green! Mine maybe have a tiny area of the hint of yellow.
If I let them fall off the tree or they fall into my hand if lightly touched from greenish yellow to yellow they are ok to me IMO if I eat them within 24 hours or refrigerate immediately & a little longer. Even if yellow they seem to be ok if eaten right off the tree and retaining sweetness  but the sourness is less without the greenish tint IMO.

But, if I pick them greenish yellow and let them sit on the counter at room temperature till all yellow; the sweetness seems to leave them and I would not eat an all yellow one at that point as it's no longer as sweet and the sourness is also less and I like to chew on the seed for this sourness taste when picked right off the tree or when greenish yellow.... So IMO it tends to keep  sweetness if on the tree and all yellow but not if ripened off the tree.... Just my opinion, and it does have a very short time for me to eat it and enjoy it.... I think I ate too many this year and am now reverting back to other more traditional mangos... too much of anything numbs the senses to the desire for more... lol.

I do like them all green also but unable to explain how one should pick unless it just comes off when touched or just luck. Occasionally you can see a dark green carrie that has lighened a little but still not yellow and that would be a good candidate to pick.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:36:57 AM by palmcity »

nothingincommon

• Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:19:38 AM »
I'd say there are many factors that contribute to the flavor of any mango.

A perfectly ripened carrie should taste good to most palates, however not everyone is the same obviously. If they are tasting watery then I would say that is not normal. Give it another year to see what happens, personally, I think carrie has an outstanding flavor. I even bought a second tree that I placed in a large container in case I ever sell my house I can take it with me. That's how much I like it.

I have not run into a carrie with a watery taste though, I can understand how that would be disappointing.

I pick them when the skin is smooth (less bumps), when the pannicle that meets the fruit turns brown & when the fruit itself starts to turn more yellow. 

Good luck!