Author Topic: Mango -- Orange Sherbet vs. Orange Essence  (Read 3470 times)

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
Mango -- Orange Sherbet vs. Orange Essence
« on: April 21, 2020, 08:12:50 PM »
Can anyone explain the difference between the two?  How do they compare in taste, production, vigor, etc.?  I've read about each, but I'm having a hard time keeping them straight...

Which do you prefer?
--Jake

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Mango -- Orange Sherbet vs. Orange Essence
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 11:39:26 PM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=26385.msg348705#msg348705

My recommendation would be to learn the original name of each variety, as it's much easier to obtain valuable information from this forum using those numbers versus the Zill marketing name in a search. OE is 40-33.

Basically there is not much data yet on either of these varieties as to how they perform on the West coast. Both are recent releases, and are purported to have different flavors.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 09:07:23 AM »
The two are not related.  Orange Sherbet is related to Lemon Zest and Lemon Meringue (parent).  Orange Essence is Kent x Gary.  It's probably anybody's guess how well they would do in your area.  They both sound like great varieties.  You should plant both, and let us know how they work out.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:11:51 AM by johnb51 »
John

Viraldonutz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 05:15:14 PM »
I'd LOVE to plant both... as well as about 30 other varieties!!! ;) ;) ;)

But I was hoping to pare that 30 down to less than a dozen.  :-\
--Jake

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 09:36:56 PM »

I think that "less than a dozen" should include Orange Essence, and either Lemon Zest (preferably) or Orange Sherbet!  If you're taking Har's advice. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:44:10 PM by johnb51 »
John

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 10:24:19 PM »

You could always multi-graft and then prune off the limbs of the less desired ones.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 01:34:08 PM »
That's what I do.

You could always multi-graft and then prune off the limbs of the less desired ones.
Jeff  :-)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 02:24:53 PM »
That's what I do.

Jeff, how productive is your OS? I am thinking of topworking part of my LM into OS. Compatible in terms of vigor and productivity?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 10:41:36 PM »
I have seen a lot of unproductive, large trees that were identified as Orange Sherbet.  Considering that the original tree, and some large topworks nearby, were extremely productive, I don't know what to think.
Har

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 12:06:36 AM »
I have seen a lot of unproductive, large trees that were identified as Orange Sherbet.  Considering that the original tree, and some large topworks nearby, were extremely productive, I don't know what to think.

Har, you helped me make up my mind. OS it is going to be on one part of my Lemon Meringue.  :)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 12:35:51 AM »
The backstory on my OS tree (or trees I guess) -- I purchased several dozen OS mangoes from Walter Zill back in 2013 / 2014 (can't remember which year) and planted all of the seeds. From the dozens of sprouts, I selected the 2 that were most identical to the mother tree, both in terms of leaf appearance and sap smell (OS is polyembryonic, so the odds were high of finding a match).

When the seedlings were just a foot tall, I grafted them to a mature glenn that I had recently cut way back. Within 3 years, both flowered and fruited, producing a fruit identical to the mother tree. Both are identical in appearance, flavor, and habit to one another, giving me high confidence that both are indeed clones of the mother tree.

Both have been extremely vigorous -- laughably vigorous -- sending out telephone pole shoots that grow to 10 feet long in a single season (some of which flop over due to the weight).

Fruit set and retention is extremely good (5 - 6 fruits per panicle). However, only small portions of the canopy tend to flower, probably due to the vigor.

I think part of the issue is that the scions were grafted to a glenn that had been cut back quite heavily. Both sides seem to be calming down a bit, so I'm hopeful that next season I'll see more bloom.

Walter's tree, also a topwork onto a mature tree, was huge the last time I saw it. I know there have been reports of the growth being manageable, but perhaps that's only the case in the juvenile period of the tree's life?

That said, my favorite is still lemon zest :-).

That's what I do.

Jeff, how productive is your OS? I am thinking of topworking part of my LM into OS. Compatible in terms of vigor and productivity?
Jeff  :-)

Viraldonutz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 01:15:39 AM »
Can you compare the two, Har?  How similar do they taste? Is one better suited than the other to SoCal conditions?

--Jake

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 09:26:48 AM »
Can you compare the two, Har?  How similar do they taste? Is one better suited than the other to SoCal conditions?

They don't taste similar. You can taste a hint of Gary in OE. OS reminds you of Lemon Meringue but is better. 

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 09:50:04 AM »
They don't taste similar. You can taste a hint of Gary in OE. OS reminds you of Lemon Meringue but is better.
That's probably the best answer you're going to get.  And better suited to SoCal?  I doubt that Har would know.  Even here in SoFlo he says he's seen extremely productive OE trees and others that don't produce.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:53:20 AM by johnb51 »
John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 04:11:58 PM »
The backstory on my OS tree (or trees I guess) -- I purchased several dozen OS mangoes from Walter Zill back in 2013 / 2014 (can't remember which year) and planted all of the seeds. From the dozens of sprouts, I selected the 2 that were most identical to the mother tree, both in terms of leaf appearance and sap smell (OS is polyembryonic, so the odds were high of finding a match).

When the seedlings were just a foot tall, I grafted them to a mature glenn that I had recently cut way back. Within 3 years, both flowered and fruited, producing a fruit identical to the mother tree. Both are identical in appearance, flavor, and habit to one another, giving me high confidence that both are indeed clones of the mother tree.

Both have been extremely vigorous -- laughably vigorous -- sending out telephone pole shoots that grow to 10 feet long in a single season (some of which flop over due to the weight).

Fruit set and retention is extremely good (5 - 6 fruits per panicle). However, only small portions of the canopy tend to flower, probably due to the vigor.

I think part of the issue is that the scions were grafted to a glenn that had been cut back quite heavily. Both sides seem to be calming down a bit, so I'm hopeful that next season I'll see more bloom.

Walter's tree, also a topwork onto a mature tree, was huge the last time I saw it. I know there have been reports of the growth being manageable, but perhaps that's only the case in the juvenile period of the tree's life?

That said, my favorite is still lemon zest :-).

That's what I do.

I am glad i already have a Lemon Zest planted. My LM has the same issue as your OS; only small portions of the canopy tend to flower. Fruit retention is really good.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 08:55:56 PM »
It was Orange Sherbet that has production issues--- if the trees I saw were correctly identified.

Years ago there was some switcheroo going on with two different varieties being called that.
Har

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 11:20:59 PM »
It was Orange Sherbet that has production issues--- if the trees I saw were correctly identified.

Years ago there was some switcheroo going on with two different varieties being called that.
Yeah.  I misread that.  Sorry, Har.  How about Orange Essence?  Is it a good producer?  Consistent?
John

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 02:01:18 PM »
Orange Essence is a medium to good producer, pretty consistently, where I have seen it.  There aren't all that many trees yet to look at.
Har

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 01:50:25 PM »
Orange Essence production report by me. I have 5 OE trees all 3 1/2 years in the ground. 1 of the trees has about 6 fruit and the others never even flowered. But this is probably meaningless. Why? Because where I live in Miami this has been a horrible year for mangoes in general so my observation is meaningless. But the fruit are all 100% clean and a very nice size as of today.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 11:39:08 AM »
I haven’t tasted an OS or OE yet, but growing one OS here in zone 9b. It is a small tree and has fruitlets in every panicle, some are big pea sized now. I will probably have to pinch off the fruits soon to let the tree grow vegetatively. It seems to grow well in SoCal and doesn’t mind turpentine rootstock.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 08:56:12 PM »
I currently have both Orange Sherbet and Orange Essence mango Trees on Turpentine. My experience thus far is OS is a fast and aggressive grower. I have already grafted it to an Ataulfo Seedling and just recently grafted it to my Lemon Zest tree in the ground (our temps have been warmer than normal for this time of year in Calif).  My OE is just now putting on its first flush and I just grafted it to my Manila in the ground.

Here is my recent photo of Orange Sherbet on Turpentine that I just moved for a 5 to 7-gallon and preparing for grafting. (I purchased this tree in Sept of 2019 as a small 3 gallon)

When I am done grafting the trees on Turpentine I will sell them and keep my manila rootstock trees with the grafts.

Looking forward to tasting the fruit in a few years.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 08:58:23 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »