Author Topic: Oro negro options  (Read 9766 times)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Oro negro options
« on: March 20, 2015, 08:27:35 PM »
So reading up on the low production issues of the oro negro.  Having not tasted one yet I am not very attached to my tree. What other variety of avocado is similar to haas and is slow grower/low vigor?  I know there is no true dwarf, but looking for something I keep under 15 ft with not too much effort, maybe a prune or 2 a year and have good productivity (I guess I am looking for the Pickering of the avocado world)

fisherking73

• View Profile
Re: Oro negro options
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 08:31:39 PM »
PS if you have any pictures of established oro negros please feel free to post.  I found some older pics from 2012-2013 on here, wonder how big those trees are now.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:11:12 AM »
Wurtz or Florida Hass.
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »
So the oro negro is a bad choice for a avocado hoping to keep under 15 ft?  Anyone with mature trees please chime in or post pics of your older trees.

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 02:40:15 PM »
This link has been posted before but it has dozens of Oro Negro photos including mature trees. It seems to be classified as a semi-dwarf tree and judging by all the photos I've seen and the growth rate of my tree I would judge that to be accurate. If you haven't tasted one I'm sure you will not be disappointed. A rich buttery taste with a nice nutty aftertaste, if it's not you favorite It will definitely be in the top 3.

http://www.myavocadotrees.com/oro-negro-avocado.html

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 05:01:13 PM »
When you say semi dwarf, how tall are we talking about?

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 05:40:54 PM »
I'm not pretending to be an expert but I can compare the grow rate of my Oro Negro with the growth rate of a couple of avocado trees I've grown and some information I have gathered online. So, I would describe it as being a semi-dwarf. Meaning that you should have no problem maintaining a height of 15 to 20 with maintance or 20 to 30 feet without maintance.

P.S. If you want a avocado tree to stay 15 feet or smaller without any kind of maintance than you probably don't want an Oro Negro. You should look for a true dwarf variety and that means that there is not a lot to choose from.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:03:25 PM by Andrew »

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 08:45:47 PM »
As we get closer, I think I have the wife convinced to cut down this horrible black olive tree in the front yard. Then I can plant whatever size avocado I want...... BUT right now there is a little spot in the back yard that I can fit a small to small medium tree. How has your oro negro been as far as fruit production?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 08:50:53 PM »
As we get closer, I think I have the wife convinced to cut down this horrible black olive tree in the front yard. Then I can plant whatever size avocado I want...... BUT right now there is a little spot in the back yard that I can fit a small to small medium tree. How has your oro negro been as far as fruit production?

I love the oro negro....but if you want a small tree, I think wurtz is your best bet.  It's even marketed as littlecado by some people.  I tasted it, and it is good... not watery like many FL cados....but nothing beats the taste of a good oro negro!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »
Ya killin me Gunnar LOL me having a yearling oro negro and thinking of rehoming him, and you saying nothing beats an oro negro, talk about increasing my curiosity LOL that is the reason I decided on it. Might have to plant it in the front yard. It will get shade from the olive tree for now, but have read avocados, especially younger ones like a little shade. She will get about 4 hours of AM sun and about 2 hours of afternoon sun.   Maybe get a wurtz if it is a true "dwarf" tree.  On a wicked google hunt for pictures of mature wurtz trees.  Go figure the " Pickering" I got for my mom, is staying here LOL the fairchild I got for my wifes mom is................yup staying here LOL So on my tiny lot have 6 varieties of mangoes, planted 2 varieties at a friends house (later blooming.....coincidence?   ;D)  And now trying to fill my avocado craving.  Trying to squeeze one more small to small medium tree in the backyard (possibly hopefully wurtz)  And  guess the oro negro will just have to go in the front yard and I will tie my american bulldog to it LOL or have to build a gate around the front yard.

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 10:53:08 PM »
I would agree with everything Jeff has to say. And not to make it any hardier on you but if you only have room for one large tree in the front I would not put an Oro Negro there. Plant something that needs the space. Something that will grow fast and big otherwise later I think you will regret wasting a large spot on a semi-dwarf tree. How much space in the back do you have to plant the tree?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 08:09:02 AM »
If you want small with excellent flavor, I'd go with the Holiday.  Other options are Pinkerton, Gwen, Rincon, Hazzard, Edranol but you'll have to do your own grafting.

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 08:40:05 AM »
fisherking,

I too was looking for a dwarf avocado, but after tasting an Oro Negro I changed my mind. Planted one last month, along with a Fantastic. Instead of thinking of 8-10 feet, I decided I could go 15 - 20 if needed with a spread of 12 feet or so.
The owner of the farm I got it from grows a large variety of avocado trees, and keeps them around 10-12 feet. He said some work will be required, can't just stick it in the ground and expect it to conform to what you have in mind. But after a few years, it'll be an annual pruning after harvest.
I have also tried Lula, Ulala, Hass ... would rate Oro Negro as superior.
This video may give you hope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxwSmoIZ2aU

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 08:51:27 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah STpete, I have seen ALL his videos LOL That is how I ended up with 6 mango trees on an average size lot LOL Convinced that if I stuck to the less vigorous varities and pruning I can keep them under control (crosses fingers)  I have no issues with height in the backyard, just width. Will have to measure and see exactly how much room I have to work with. I don't want to have to do such severe prunings due to size restriction that I mess up the flowering for the following year and get stuck in a viscous growth/prune/ no fruit cycle. I guess I will have to do some research now or get opinions on larger avocado trees for the front yard LOL if I can make this oro negro work in the back.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 09:32:22 AM »
Sorry, in ko way is Oro Negro superior to Lula.  Just my 2 cents...
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »
So if Lula is possibly superior, and if I can get oro negro to fit in the backyard, I guess maybe a Lula in the front? LOL as long as it is not a "special" care kinda tree etc..... Still figuring out all this fert not to fert, when to fert, ferted too much, foliar feed, sulfur drench, copper, wait not copper, wait yes copper but cover the ground, neem oil, dish soap, but don't mix with neem oil, was that every week or every month, stuff out LOL So simple water once or twice a week, fert once a month avocado tree would be great!

StPeteMango

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »
fisherking,

There's room on that boat (average size yard, desire for more trees) ...  ;)
I have 6 mango, 2 avocado and a lychee tree in my back yard, and five mango trees in my front yard. Four of the front yarders were recently planted; one, which was in a 7 gallon pot, was planted 2 years ago.
Also have 9 crepe myrtles and a fair number of hibiscus, Hawaiian ti and schefflera plants, and a few jasmines.
It takes work, but it's enjoyable work.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »
fisherking,

I have 6 mango, 2 avocado and a lychee tree in my back yard, and five mango trees in my front yard. Four of the front yarders were recently planted; one, which was in a 7 gallon pot, was planted 2 years ago.
Also have 9 crepe myrtles and a fair number of hibiscus, Hawaiian ti and schefflera plants, and a few jasmines.

Get rid of that schefflera :)
- Rob

StPeteMango

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »

That would be the only way to put in a red lime or two  ;D

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 01:28:55 PM »
fisherking,

Out here the schefflera is part of the unstoppable jungle. Hate that tree. It sprouts everywhere....

Many places around my property it grows out of other trees in a natural graft. I have a running joke with my neighbor that I will help him plant some as a favor  :)

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 03:55:53 PM »
St Pete, Pics please LOL curious as to how "average" sized your lot is.  Things might be bigger on the left side of Florida.  My biggest fear is running out of room and then tasting a must have in the future. This has happened several times this year LOL But still have some room.  I think once my mangos grow, and if I get an avocado or 2 in the front yard, my house will be shaded all day long from both sides LOL Which might help the electric bill with less AC usage.............never thought of that angle to use on the wife LOL

StPeteMango

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 08:01:01 AM »
fisherking,
I have a corner lot that's 102 feet x 90 feet. The front yard is far bigger than the back yard; wish it was the other way around. It is an older subdivision, and the setback from the street to the house is 45 feet -- way too much lawn. Here's one taken before I planted 4 more mango trees in the front yard. Will take new pics and post them tomorrow. The Graham is in the middle of the picture in the background. The 4 newbies are where the PVC pipes stand in the ground. The sticks in the foreground are crepe myrtles that are now beginning to flush new leaves; they look quite nice when in bloom.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »
Just curious, for those who are planting in their front yard, how are you protecting your fruit from those who think they are entitled to your hard work - thieves?

When it comes to Lula vs ON regarding taste, you best taste them both before committing.  I've had the commercially grown Lula from the Valley and I was not impressed.  It doesn't have the richness or higher oil content of the ON I'm growing.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:16:33 AM by Mark in Texas »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 08:22:28 AM »
Just curious, for those who are planting in their front yard, how are you protecting your fruit from those who think they are entitled to your hard work - thieves?

When it comes to Lula vs ON regarding taste, you best taste them both before committing.  I've had the commercially grown Lula from the Valley and I was not impressed.  It doesn't have the richness or higher oil content of the ON I'm growing.

All the "backyard" Florida grown Lula I have had, which have been more than i coukd ever count, have been excellent.   It is worth noting thst the longer they hang on the tree the better they are (those pjcked in January and later aee better than those picked in November and December ).

Mark - where is "the Valley" you refer to?
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
In Texas "the Valley" is the Rio Grande Valley.
John