Author Topic: Harvest from my yard in San Diego  (Read 9604 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest from my yard in San Diego
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 01:04:11 AM »
Hi thread starter, is it ok with you to see your honeyheart cherimoya variety? I will appreciate a photo. Thanks

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 05:28:20 AM »
Great harvest, Simon...very colorful.  :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

JFranco

• Ericeira, Portugal, Zone 10b.
    • View Profile
    • Passionfruit & Friends
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 05:51:34 AM »
Great looking harvest! Love the yellow pitaya and longan!

Joćo Franco

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2015, 08:14:25 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Gozp, I will take a picture of my Honeyhart fruits when I get off work. There are no bumps on my fruit and the skin color is slightly more yellowish than other varieties.

Simon

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Gozp, I will take a picture of my Honeyhart fruits when I get off work. There are no bumps on my fruit and the skin color is slightly more yellowish than other varieties.

Simon

Awesome, & i forgot to mention the honeyheart tree.. lol

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2015, 08:26:40 PM »
Gozp, I gave away my Honeyhart tree last year. I currently only have two branches of Honeyhart grafted onto my multigraft cherimoya tree. Here is a picture of my Honeyhart branch and two fruit still hanging. These fruit are not ready yet, they will turn more yellowish in color when they are ready.

And here is a Behl Cherimoya showing good size

Here are a couple of small Dr White. These fruit are all on the same multigraft Cherimoya tree. The Dr White is one of the latest varieties to ripen and they won't size up till late in the season. The good thing about having multigraft trees is that you can add on additional early, mid and late season varieties to extend the season.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2015, 11:43:35 PM »
Nice job, Master Simon!  My 2nd Maha tree flushes 3-4 times a year, and my original one about 2 times per year.  maybe they like heat!
Now if only my 2nd Maha lives up to the Maha hype that my orig. Maha couldn't.....

Gary

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 10:39:26 AM »
Thanks Gary!

The Mahas are so variable, these later Mahas are much better tasting but I would still say a refined palate is required to fully enjoy the Maha Chanok Mango. Half the enjoyment of the Maha is the exquisite smell of the fruit. This fruit was left to ripen on my counter and my entire kitchen smelled of sweet tropical tangerinish mangoey goodness.

I prefer to eat my Mahas still slightly firm. It is less sweet but has more tangerine flavor. If I let my fruit ripen fully, it gets sweeter but looses some of the tangerine goodness. This fruit was at 21% Brix, if I let it fully ripen, close to the seed you can see it is fully ripe, the Brix should get to 23%.
Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »
Thanks Gary!

The Mahas are so variable, these later Mahas are much better tasting but I would still say a refined palate is required to fully enjoy the Maha Chanok Mango. Half the enjoyment of the Maha is the exquisite smell of the fruit. This fruit was left to ripen on my counter and my entire kitchen smelled of sweet tropical tangerinish mangoey goodness.

I prefer to eat my Mahas still slightly firm. It is less sweet but has more tangerine flavor. If I let my fruit ripen fully, it gets sweeter but looses some of the tangerine goodness. This fruit was at 21% Brix, if I let it fully ripen, close to the seed you can see it is fully ripe, the Brix should get to 23%.
Simon

very sweet and fragrant this years Maha. As you mention, they were at around 23 brix with excellent taste. I wish I had a few of those left I have some mango but few

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2015, 01:27:39 PM »
JF, nice spread you got there! Some of my nubbin LZ Mangos fell off the tree green and I set them on the counter not expecting much but they turned out really sweet and flavorful. I still have some hanging on the tree and they are not sizing up but at least I know they are still tasty as nubbins. The seed is paper thin. The coming years should reward everyone with a more bountiful and tasty harvest as our beloved trees mature. I can't wait!

Simon

SamiC

• Bel Air, CA 10b Elevation 1285ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2015, 02:12:04 PM »
Looks amazing Simon. Good work!!
Always looking for Mango budwood!!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2015, 10:22:35 PM »
JF, nice spread you got there! Some of my nubbin LZ Mangos fell off the tree green and I set them on the counter not expecting much but they turned out really sweet and flavorful. I still have some hanging on the tree and they are not sizing up but at least I know they are still tasty as nubbins. The seed is paper thin. The coming years should reward everyone with a more bountiful and tasty harvest as our beloved trees mature. I can't wait!

Simon

I have 3 LZ left. my anonnas seem to be late can wait for the cold rain it's going to plum and sweet my anonnas. you've been bless with early sweet anonnas. here are pix of LZ and anonnas

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2015, 04:11:37 PM »
Beautiful LZ and annonas JF. I really love LZ, I hope my fruit will size up in the coming years. My first crop of LZ sized up but the second crop are all nubbins with paper thin seeds.  I've still got 7 nubbin LZ hanging on the tree and they all have lenticils. A couple are very round.
Nubbin LZ

My last Carrie, almost fully tree ripe

Here is a picture of my largest Simons Purple Dragonfruit. Looks to be around 1.5 lbs

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2015, 05:11:43 PM »
Leo's lumpy mango

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk