Author Topic: Costa Rica farm for sale . . .  (Read 10676 times)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Costa Rica farm for sale . . .
« on: May 15, 2016, 12:58:23 PM »

I have a 23.5 acre farm in Costa Rica that I'd like to sell. $180,000.  It's located on the Carribean side of the country, 12 miles from Turrialba. The entrance to the place is 200 meters off the highway to the beaches. Good soil, good water, great panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and the fuming 10,000 plus foot tall live volcano is the center attraction (at a respectable distance). We're located about an hour and a half from San Jose and the same for the ocean.

The farm's terrain is largely part flat to gently rolling with primary jungle to the rear of the property connected to a mountainous biological corridor, lots of nature trails and lots of birds and animals, alt. 1000 m , not much of a dry season here...always lush and green and a very mild comfortable climate all year long. No crime problem in the Turrialba area, and property is much less expensive here because it's largely agricultural.

BTW, the ag research center, CATIE, is close by. Great resource with hundreds of tropical fruit varieties. This is a really great place to grow damn near anything.

Also, there is a large bodega (garage, workshop, etc.) and a big greenhouse at the entrance, and there are good roads throughout the farm. A large pristine river is 250 m away where we get our pure spring water. Public water and electricity is at the entrance. Many house sites!

I want to sell the whole place rather than breaking it up into smaller farms if possible. My farm is next door, so to speak, and I really don't want too many neighbors if I can help it. The farm is partially being used by a local farmer to grow ornamental plants for export. All that will be removed when I get a contract. I want to sell the property because my daughter in St. Pete wants to buy an house someday soon, and Daddy would love to help her.

You can view the place on youtube: finca cacique. Also you can check out the wonderful small city of Turrialba on youtube....even if you don't want to buy my place, it's good daydream material! This is a great little country. I've been here almost 20 years and plan to croak and become compost here.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica farm for sale . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 01:11:36 PM »
What are the temps like at that altitude? Is there a house on the property?
Jeff  :-)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 01:31:26 PM »

Low sixties at night in the "winter" months. Highest is high seventies and eighties. No heat or AC needed! The only problem here is that it can get somewhat hotter in the house...nothing but tin roofs here. The climate is the main reason I moved to CR. You can pretty much choose the type of climate you want, from hot on the coasts and colder in the moutains up to 12000 feet...and anything in between. No house on the property.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 01:37:08 PM »
OK that sounds just like El Salvador's mountainous region. Perfect weather. You must get the fog that rolls in an hour or two before sunset too.

Are non residents able to purchase property in CR? For some reason, I was thinking that only residents could purchase land out there.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »

Perfect weather is a subjective matter I suppose. I have found a "perfect climate" according to my preference in every country in Central America that I have been to. But, sometimes I had to work at it a bit...like in Nicaragua. Anybody can buy property in CR...with assurance of ownership and safety.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »
Can you link the actual video for youtube? Did a search but came up with multiple results.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »

Sorry, I don't know how to do a "link". I'm not the sharpest tack on the bulletin board. Anyway, seach... Finca Cacique En venta.

Thanks for calling my attention to this.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 02:44:58 PM »
The area described is different from highland El Salvador mostly because of more uniform rainfall. The impression I have of El Salvador is that the highland areas are more like Matagpa, Nicaragua or more western parts of CR like Alajuela which have more distinct dry seasons. Turrilba might be more like highland Malaysia!
Question, when you say there is no problem with crime around the Turrialba area does that mean that you wouldn't have any problem leaving your car parked overnight on a city street?

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 04:24:13 PM »

There isn't the drug problem here in this region like in other parts of the country, which I think is the back bone of the crime in CR. Turri's somewhat different and old fashioned, and I never lock my car. Never had a problem. Fewer bars on windows here, too! Maybe families are tighter here or something.

But, I lived in several parts of the Central Valley for many years. I finally quit locking my car there, too. I got tired of buying radios and replacing broken car windows. Those druggies really like the electronics!

It's interesting to me, but my favorite beaches are in your neck of the woods, and I have visited many friends there over many years, sometimes for weeks at a time. Even though the general consensus seems to be that the Carribe is dangerous and infested with crime, I nor my friends there have ever had any problems. Maybe some tools and something like that being "borrowed", but nothing serious. I think if you never read a newspaper or listened to gossip or watched Teletica, you probably wouldn't give crime a thought. But, that's just my experience.

BTW, Peter, I visited you at your finca maybe 14 or 15 years ago with my friend who started the natural foods company called Naturastyle. I had my first mangostens there. Anyway, afterwards I couldn't wait to plant some tropical fruit trees. So, you are the blame for my crazy obsession! I can't believe I haven't been back to see your place. It's such a little country, but I guess with the bad narrow roads and low speed limits it's so damn time consuming to travel anywhere. Hahahaha.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 05:20:48 PM »
Correct.

The area described is different from highland El Salvador mostly because of more uniform rainfall. The impression I have of El Salvador is that the highland areas are more like Matagpa, Nicaragua or more western parts of CR like Alajuela which have more distinct dry seasons. Turrilba might be more like highland Malaysia!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 05:22:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPNwu-syKho

Can you link the actual video for youtube? Did a search but came up with multiple results.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 09:15:18 PM »
I looked at the video and it is beautiful there, a tad cooler than where I am located.  I frequently drive that road and marvel at the views.  I travel all ove CR and there is no shortage of beauty.  I often say that pretty much everywhere you go is nice except for San Jose which isn't really fair as you can find a few gems there too.   Turrialba has high rainfall but is great for growing plants.  If I didn't want to be where I am it would be my next choice.
Peter

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 09:35:12 PM »
Do you do vendor finance 😆

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 11:34:30 PM »
Logging onto my bank account....looking.......looking.......nope, $180 000 not there!

Rainforest at 1000 m elevation, that deep in tropics has amazingly crisp and fresh air. Good luck whoever gets this!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 08:21:22 AM »

Sorry, I don't know how to do a "link". I'm not the sharpest tack on the bulletin board. Anyway, seach... Finca Cacique En venta.

Thanks for calling my attention to this.
! No longer available
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 08:30:05 AM »
Wow that looks like paradise to me ! Great retirement spot !

Ed
Zone 10

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 09:34:01 AM »
How's the expat community in CR? Is it mostly Americans? I'm mixed race and already had a tough time integrating into "white Australia" - when you are of mixed ethnicity even fellow Asians of one type or another will find something to discriminate against if they are so inclined.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 10:58:42 AM »
WOW beautiful place if i wasn't 69 it would be perfect place, don't have it in me to start over in this live. Great spot for younger fruit head for sure. 8)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 11:19:33 AM »
Sounds awesome. If only I could retire right now from both my jobs.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 12:30:55 PM »
How's the expat community in CR? Is it mostly Americans? I'm mixed race and already had a tough time integrating into "white Australia" - when you are of mixed ethnicity even fellow Asians of one type or another will find something to discriminate against if they are so inclined.

I don't think anyone would have much of a problem here. Many folks from both Europe and the US, young and old. In the Central Valley and on the coasts there are many orientals, mostly in business there.

There are many blacks living all over, and especially on the Carribean side because of the Jamaican influence, which I like a lot. I have black friends in CR and I have never heard them complain.

The main sign of what could be called bigotry here is with the Nicaraguans. Many thousands have come into the country illegally seeking work, and the Ticos don't like the govt. having to provide medical and educational needs. Much like the illegal immigration problems in the States.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »
My life was moving along just fine...had gotten over my lust for tropical acreage (at least temporarily).  Then you have to post this message...Now I have been scoping out banks to knock off to come up with $180,000 :-[.

It seems that this post came 15 years too early for me  :-\
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 01:42:30 PM »
Who on this forum wouldn't love to own that farm in CR? Definitively very tempting! As far as increasing the tropical fruit tree collection: How easy/difficult would it be to bring in plants from other countries into CR?
Federico
Homestead, FL

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 02:31:28 PM »
Who on this forum wouldn't love to own that farm in CR? Definitively very tempting! As far as increasing the tropical fruit tree collection: How easy/difficult would it be to bring in plants from other countries into CR?

I don't know. Maybe Peter at Finca de Isla maybe would have some ideas. Or, you can join the CR gardening group on yahoo. Lots of knowledgeable people on that forum. But, I will say this. With CATIE here as well as viveros like Zill's and others, I doubt anyone would be wanting for fruit trees.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 02:38:05 PM »
wow that place is beautiful! I'd love to own land like that some day!

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 08:15:06 PM »
What kind of monkeys do you have on the property?

Turrialba is one of the few parts of CR I have not been to.