Author Topic: walkin plastic greenhouse recommendation  (Read 9026 times)

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
walkin plastic greenhouse recommendation
« on: December 21, 2013, 02:19:05 AM »
Has anyone used one of this plastic walkin greenhouse?

I'm looking to purchase a small to medium walkin green house.

Need some recommendations.

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: walkin plastic greenhouse recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »

Last year I bought a small (6'x6') plastic greenhouse from this company:
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/
It's held up well and gives the smaller plants and seedlings some protection, but it heats up very quickly in the sunshine if I don't get out early to open the flaps.

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:13:12 PM »
Thanks JD

How much did you pay?

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 02:21:20 PM »
Thanks JD

How much did you pay?
It was on sale for $119.00 + tax and at that time they were offering free shipping.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:57:36 PM »
NaturalGreenthumb,

Here is one that I have researched:
8'L x' 6'W x 7'H
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140947514432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

$105.99 with free shipping.

This is the best medium-sized greenhouse that I could find for the price...and is sold in the US.  I liked the shelves on this one too.
Sometimes, this item is placed for bid starting from $79.99.
From what I have read, this is a temporary greenhouse, meaning that it is best to use for only a few months of the year.
From comments on various websites, the "plastic" PE covering has limited life with UV exposure.
Also, like JeffDM said, you probably need to open the flaps on this one when it gets sunny.

Warren
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:01:06 PM by wslau »
Warren

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 07:44:15 PM »

Do you really know what you're getting into? How do you plan to use it?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 08:32:36 PM »

I'm going to use it as a camping tent or a home sauna  :o :blank: :-\

My miracle fruit plant are dying amongst others. I need to find a humidity home for them.

Found is one a little  to late

John!!! Growing your greens!!!

http://youtu.be/3egsTaOmEvU
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:03:07 PM by NaturalGreenthumb »

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »
NaturalGreenthumb,

Here is one that I have researched:
8'L x' 6'W x 7'H
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140947514432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

$105.99 with free shipping.

This is the best medium-sized greenhouse that I could find for the price...and is sold in the US.  I liked the shelves on this one too.
Sometimes, this item is placed for bid starting from $79.99.
From what I have read, this is a temporary greenhouse, meaning that it is best to use for only a few months of the year.
From comments on various websites, the "plastic" PE covering has limited life with UV exposure.
Also, like JeffDM said, you probably need to open the flaps on this one when it gets sunny.

Warren

Thai one looks good to but my available space is 5' width x 8'  legnth

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 09:28:05 PM »
NaturalGreenthumb,

You're still in luck...but may cost you a little more ($140 but still with free shipping). 
5'W (4'7" actual) x 7'L   ...height is 7' (apex). 
At a ~5 foot width total but less than 8 feet in length, all greenhouses that I saw had shelves.  So the walkway is about ~3 feet wide.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-7-Portable-Greenhouse-Kit-/281012912797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416dacc29d

Good luck!

Warren
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:51:03 PM by wslau »
Warren

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »

By your snarky response, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you really have a lot to learn about greenhouses before you get one.  Unless you like money pits and dead plants, that is.

Let's start with the basics. Something like that will provide almost no additional heat at night (simply wind protection and a small bit of a radiation barrier), while becoming an oven during the day. Is that your goal? If your answer is "no", then we'll move on from there.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:00:44 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 11:17:39 PM »

By your snarky response, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you really have a lot to learn about greenhouses before you get one.  Unless you like money pits and dead plants, that is.

Let's start with the basics. Something like that will provide almost no additional heat at night (simply wind protection and a small bit of a radiation barrier), while becoming an oven during the day. Is that your goal? If your answer is "no", then we'll move on from there.

Then what shall one do oh dearest  Queen Karen.   Thou haven't  provided any solution to thy problem.   Please bless me with thy wisdom. ;D

Others have given thee some examples of thy oven tent which other have used.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:19:23 PM by NaturalGreenthumb »

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 07:23:57 AM »
Then what shall one do oh dearest  Queen Karen.   Thou haven't  provided any solution to thy problem.   Please bless me with thy wisdom. ;D

Go waste your money and kill your plants; I have no interest in helping anyone who doesn't want help. Clearly you know so much better than someone who's built two greenhouses and ran them for years, so please rush out and do whatever you want while you still know everything.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 07:52:52 AM »

A home sauna will be your best use for that throw away tent.   ;)

I'm with Karen, there's a lot to consider here.  You may not need heating at Riverside but you'll cook your faves in that thing without proper shading and ventilation.  Ventilation?   There goes your humidity.  Also, in a little 5'W greenhouse, a 3' wide aisle is a terrible waste of growing space and suggests to me you're buying a pig and a poke.  You need no more than a 2' wide walkway unless you're a linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers. 

Like your high density planting scheme in your impervious granite "soil", I think you're setting yourself up for failure.  But what do I know....after going thru 2 greenhouses.  Both worked and my current is doing fine.

Some times things are just not meant to be, and if I have to fight the elements or radically adjust my way of life to suit my fancies.....aint gonna do it.

Good luck,
Mark
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 08:03:01 AM by Mark in Texas »

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 08:47:32 AM »
Set up misters and call it good.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 08:57:09 AM »

I explored that every which way but Sunday for my current greenhouse.  Unless you have super soft water, like a TDS below say.....75ppm,  it doesn't work.  I set up misters as a trial and within 6 hours leaves were dusted white.  Ended up with 2 BonAire Durango 5,000 cfm coolers but those come with a lot of maintenance headaches.  Greenhouse still gets over 100F in the summer once in a while.  Plants don't seem to mind.   

There's also something he's forgetting, and that's mass.  You can't increase and retain humidity based on such a small mass that he's looking at.

He's gotta find out the hard way. 

I built a lean to 9'W X 16' long greenhouse and just grew the heck out of orchids.  Used wet pads and exhaust fan system.  Humidity was great, house was cool and most of all, it was automated.  That is the way he should go, the only practical way that will work using ground contact grade pressure treated 2X4's and greenhouse grade corrogated polycarbonate covering.

Pay now......or pay later.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:06:27 AM by Mark in Texas »

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »

I was thinking about misters too....

How about harbor freights small green house?

http://youtu.be/HlKrzBKVQJg
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 10:47:38 AM by NaturalGreenthumb »

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »

I was thinking about misters too....

How about harbor freights small green house?

http://youtu.be/HlKrzBKVQJg

I guess one question that hasn't been asked is whether or not you are available during the day to tend to a small greenhouse?
I'm retired so I can go out often and check the temperature/humidity in my little greenhouse and use the mister on my hose nozzle to help regulate things.  Last winter I packed it with my seedling experiments - mangoes, papayas and avocados.

I mostly use mine for seedlings and have moved it several times to find a better spot in my yard where it won't get hammered by the sun all day.
This is a hobby for me and it's supposed to be a fun learning experience.
I didn't have the budget or the space to buy a large greenhouse with a heater, automatic vents, cooling fans, overhead misters and a dedicated electrical service - I just wanted something that would help my seedlings along and keep them safe from the nighttime critters.
Do your research, buy something you can afford to lose, experiment with it, have fun and remember that if things don't work out you don't have to let us know, but if things do work out well you can brag on it.
 :)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:02:58 PM by JeffDM »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »
 Something like that will provide almost no additional heat at night (simply wind protection and a small bit of a radiation barrier), while becoming an oven during the day. Is a true statement.
That looks like a flimsy pile that won't last a year in direct sun.
Either way you have to build it , whether it's a kit of 1 tarp and poles or double walled uv plastic panels.
I spent 60 hrs building a greenhouse kit from costco 7 years ago and though it kicked my butt price wise and labor wise I would do it all again to have a quality thing that isn't going to the landfill in 18-24 months.
That said if I were in riverside I would buy some nice shade cloth that's the size you want for your greenhouse , put that on top of some 6 mil uv greenhouse plastic and make a frame from PVC and 2x4 base. Make the exact size you want , height you want and have some quality shade cloth which I would think is mandatory in your neck of the desert.
Good advice JeffDM

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »
......I would buy some nice shade cloth that's the size you want for your greenhouse , put that on top of some 6 mil uv greenhouse plastic and make a frame from PVC and 2x4 base. Make the exact size you want , height you want and have some quality shade cloth which I would think is mandatory in your neck of the desert.
Good advice JeffDM

I concur.  A shade cloth is a must.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 08:25:36 AM »
That looks like a flimsy pile that won't last a year in direct sun.

Exactly.  There are hundreds of different kinds of greenhouse kits offered, one such place is FarmTek.  Too pricey (value)  for me but I guess some of their houses would work fine.

Yes, you do have to still build it no matter what form or fashion it comes in, reason why I recommended he start from scratch and build what he wants.  I bet the cost on enough treated 2X4's for a 8'X12' greenhouse on 16" centers would be no more than $150.  Load it in the back of a pickup and you're on your way.  My double etched Anderson door was on sale at CasaDePot for $99.....

Time for 'show and tell', here's mine just after completion, now full of grafted citrus, avocado trees, mango, tomatoes and such.  All are bearing but the newly planted mangos.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »
Wow, Mark that looks preety nice.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »

Thanks amigo.  31'X37' and I'm thinking of adding another section.  This tropical stuff is addicting.

10'H  walls and 18' ridge allows me to grow trees.  Need to work on the cooling.  I only shade using a very thinned out spray of white paint on the west and east walls.  Dynaglas SolarSoft 85 on the roof takes care of the rest.  The plants love it.  Diffused light and RootBuilder pots is the way to go. ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:50:16 AM by Mark in Texas »

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »

Dittos - I think most of us are pretty jealous right now.
 :)

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
Wow Mark,

That is nice!

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »
Very nice greenhouse! 

This isn't viable for a lot of us in So. Cal. where most of us have an average of 5000-10000 sq feet lots. 

I hope to build something similiar in the future and house a durian and mangosteen tree, along with other tropical ornamentals.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk