Author Topic: How to make lychee bloom  (Read 1849 times)

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
How to make lychee bloom
« on: March 08, 2020, 11:23:04 AM »
Last year my tree bloomed nicely and I got a bunch of fruit. This year it doesn’t look so good only two bloom spikes in tree earlier bloom And two more small ones emerging, I noticed something interesting about the two small ones emerging. It seems they are emerging where either I or something tipped branch. Other parts that are not tipped have new growth emerging with no flowers. Let me know your thoughts if anyone has noticed this and if so when would be the time to tip.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
Re: How to make lychee bloom
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 08:57:35 AM »
You have to prune them at the end of the fruiting season to help it fruit more the following year.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

PedroAC

• Colector from Azores Islands, Portugal
    • Ponta Delgada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 03:59:00 AM »
Pothassium chlorate

Here is a link with a file where it describes the procedure: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D8ua3jkBptZVqXSe4zdS8U44FuK_LEzg/view?usp=sharing

;)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 03:47:38 PM »
I Pruned my sweetheart after last season (only branches low enough to prune) and this season not one flower lower than 10 feet, but the top where I did not prune has exploded in flowers.
Regards,

Gary

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »
Last year my tree bloomed nicely and I got a bunch of fruit. This year it doesn’t look so good only two bloom spikes in tree earlier bloom And two more small ones emerging, I noticed something interesting about the two small ones emerging. It seems they are emerging where either I or something tipped branch. Other parts that are not tipped have new growth emerging with no flowers. Let me know your thoughts if anyone has noticed this and if so when would be the time to tip.

The flowering on the tipped branches is probably caused by exposing very new growth tips to cold temperatures that are cool enough to induce flowering.

Literature says that girdling can help with blooms and fruit retention but this is a skill that can be fatal to the girdled branches if not performed properly and timing of the girdling is critical.

As far as I am aware, Potassium Chlorate works for Longan but not on Lychee but I have not done any research on this in many years.

Simon

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 07:02:52 PM »
Just went ahead and tipped a bunch of branches. Hoping this is the right time to tip to time the flushes with bloom.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 04:59:59 AM »
Pothassium chlorate

Here is a link with a file where it describes the procedure: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D8ua3jkBptZVqXSe4zdS8U44FuK_LEzg/view?usp=sharing

;)
That chemical only works on longans not lychee.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 05:19:45 AM »
Tipping the new growth flushes has been demonstrated to help initiate flowering. There was a research article written about this here in Hawaii by Dr. Francis Zee. What you are doing is trying to stop the tree from going into growth flush stage and instead get it into panicle forming stage. When there are growth flushes you will not get flowering. This is a reason that fertilizer timing is also very important. If you apply fertilizer during what you want to be dormant winter stage, then you will get undesired new flush growth.
Oscar

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 04:13:35 AM »
This is a reason that fertilizer timing is also very important. If you apply fertilizer during what you want to be dormant winter stage, then you will get undesired new flush growth.

This is interesting for those living in Mediterranean climate, because the first years that would be a very desired flush growth. I'm using gibberellic acid with my young trees to avoid the bloom for the last 2 years and it works pretty well, 3 to 0 bloom flushes  in my FZS and Kaimana in despite of the low temperatures, but knowing that fertilizer in winter also helps is interesting. I guess nitrogen would be the main element to consider for this matter?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 01:06:00 AM »
This is a reason that fertilizer timing is also very important. If you apply fertilizer during what you want to be dormant winter stage, then you will get undesired new flush growth.

This is interesting for those living in Mediterranean climate, because the first years that would be a very desired flush growth. I'm using gibberellic acid with my young trees to avoid the bloom for the last 2 years and it works pretty well, 3 to 0 bloom flushes  in my FZS and Kaimana in despite of the low temperatures, but knowing that fertilizer in winter also helps is interesting. I guess nitrogen would be the main element to consider for this matter?
Yes it's nitrogen that causes the flush growth?
You use gibberellic acid to keep the trees from blooming? How do you apply it? And at that concentration?
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk