Author Topic: got to try Cosmic Crisp and SugarBee apples today  (Read 1790 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
got to try Cosmic Crisp and SugarBee apples today
« on: February 16, 2020, 11:12:05 AM »
My grocery store had them both.  $2.99 a pound, as expensive as it gets.  Both are huge apples.

Cosmic Crisp is really good, crisp and juicy.  Not sure if its as good as Pink Lady at its best, though.  Would definitely buy again if the price was lower or no other good options.

SugarBee was similar to Cosmic Crisp but simply not as good.  It is sweeter but doesn't taste better.  Would not buy again.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: got to try Cosmic Crisp and SugarBee apples today
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:57:41 AM »
I got some at Costco a couple months ago. Skin was really thick, flesh sweet, but not outstanding. I prefer slightly under-ripe Fuji.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 11:58:16 AM »
I got some Cosmic Crisp at Costco a couple months ago. Skin was really thick, flesh sweet, but not outstanding. I prefer slightly under-ripe Fuji.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 04:52:43 AM »
Certainly apples get more expensive. The US exports its best to Japan, and there they pay a lot, a domestic apple would run 500 yen or nearly 5 USD. In specialty shops you can get more expensive gift fruit.

I tried the 2.5 a pound CC from Costco, and they are good. Hard texture, juicy, good acid balance and appropriate sweetness, but the flavor while not bad wasn't as good as Fuji or Cripps Pink as mentioned. Cripps has a short shelf life and gets soft, fluffy textured easily, while Fuji has an inferior color if that's your thing. Overall, I'd save the money for other apples, maybe oranges ;)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 09:59:42 AM »
I also recently tried Cosmic Crisp, after seeing a mention of it somewhere here on the forum.

It definitely was crisp but it was not a mind-blower. Actually i bought a bag of organic Jazz apples last week, and those were better - pretty great apple.

Though i'll say i'm not a big apple eater or connoisseur.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 01:48:10 PM »
"Cripps has a short shelf life and gets soft, fluffy textured easily"

yes, I frequently get old pink lady/cripps pink and this is disappointing.  The big attraction to me with Cosmic Crisp is if it is infact reliably good instead of inconsistent based on storage length.

I've tried every type of apple I've ever seen for sale.  I've seen a few specialty varieties but most were not memorable.  The only new ones I think are top tier so far are Sweet Tango and Cosmic Crisp.

Today I just got a couple Wild Twist apples.  They are fine, taste like Fuji.  About same as SugarBee, maybe less sweet

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 04:11:28 PM »

yes, I frequently get old pink lady/cripps pink and this is disappointing.  The big attraction to me with Cosmic Crisp is if it is infact reliably good instead of inconsistent based on storage length.

I've tried every type of apple I've ever seen for sale.  I've seen a few specialty varieties but most were not memorable.  The only new ones I think are top tier so far are Sweet Tango and Cosmic Crisp.

Today I just got a couple Wild Twist apples.  They are fine, taste like Fuji.  About same as SugarBee, maybe less sweet

Are you growing them?  Where to get scions of the top tier ones? 
Brad Spaugh

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 09:45:23 AM »
No I am not growing these (except pink lady/cripps pink), I bought at the grocery store

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 11:38:27 AM »
Spaugh, it seems nurseries sell Cosmic Crisp trees but only to washington state residents

TJ_westPA

• west PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 09:14:13 PM »

I tried a couple Wild Twist apples recently as well. I'm from PA, too. I thought the texture was really nice and it had a good sweet/tart balance without being overly sweet, but the flavor was almost non-existent. It's cool to see a more locally developed variety, I just wish it wasn't so bland. It has everything else going for it.

I've tried the Cosmic Crisps too and thought they were pretty good. Better than Honeycrisp, in my opinon, but I'm not a big fan of Honeycrisp to begin with. More flavorful. It's one of the better super-crisp apples for sure.

I agree with you on SweeTango as well. It's one of the most complexly flavored apples I've tasted.