Author Topic: Backyard container grow pics  (Read 1395 times)

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
Backyard container grow pics
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:51:38 AM »
Just wanted to share a few pics this morning

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:53:26 AM by dross99_si »

Tony714

• Fountain Valley OC , SOCAL, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Backyard container grow pics
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 10:29:13 AM »
Very nice and healthy trees.   I am running out of space in my backyard and planning couple in container.  do you think it's ok to use potting soil from big box store ? can you share your potting soil?

Thank you,
tony

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
I have not seen the effects as I only planted last week, but my attempts to find out what potting soil works well for tropicals and subtropical led me to promix hp for a bagged soil. I got a large bag for about 50 bucks which felt pretty expensive. Some people said the miracle gro moisture control worked well. Most people are mixing their own from the fabled “gritty mix” which is frustratingly hard to make, or a mix of sphagnum, pine bark fines, vermiculite, sand, etc.

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »
We use the 5-1-1 recipe. Pine fines, perlite, big box potting mix, a little azomite and a handful of worm castings.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 01:41:09 AM »
If it were me, I would paint the inside of those mango containers with Microkote to prevent the roots from circling endlessly while they are stuck in those pots. Makes for a nice fibrous root system once you decide to plant them into the ground. They will take off like rocket ships.
-Chris

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 07:36:14 AM »
I use the organic Kelloggs potting mix Home Depot carries. It is decent, has a lot of pine back fines, seems fairly loose with perlite. Drains really well and all my potted trees really like it. I grow a lot of potted trees and plants especially when I either don't plan on putting them into the ground in the near future due to being too small or lack of space or they are too tropical to put in the ground.

I recommend the root maker style pots. The brand I used is out of business unfortunately but there are others.

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 10:07:52 AM »
Our Haden is in a Air pot style container and seems to be doing very well. I have read about using the paint inside pots to prevent root spiraling. A little late for that now. When the time comes to put them in the ground I will make some slices if they are circling.