Author Topic: Mango haul  (Read 6416 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango haul
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »
Sorry if my comment was found to be offensive.  Some of us just don't have that kind of money ($3 a pound?) to throw away on questionable mangos.  "Shame on them" is a rather generic expression--just felt that if anyone knew when to pick mangos, it should be the very knowledgeable owner of Truly Tropical.  It could be that someone else picked them, rather than her.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:32:13 AM by johnb51 »
John

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 09:50:05 AM »
Interesting.  ???  After talking to Truly Tropicals  last week (I assume the lady was the owner) I'm now glad I didn't order.  Have seen some of the mangos that our Texas friends have bought from one large and popular "organic" Florida grower, that box of fruit was absolutely disgusting - coloring was OK but the black fungus spots were numerous with many penetrating past the skin into the meat.  There's NO excuse for that crap considering the modern and safe fungus controls labeled for mangos that are now available.

Nah sah, mama didn't raise no fool.  I'll sit back and enjoy the rest of my homegrown Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest in the coming weeks, save my money and time.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:53:11 AM by Mark in Texas »

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »
 >:(Shame on the persons who do not know any better & want to blame other people for their problems!!  >:( you should plan accordingly before expecting anything with such high expectations!!! Seriously! How dare you!?!?! Ive know Chris personally for over a year now & just recently in the past few months the Zills, & never EVER has their been an issue with mangos! No one forces you to buy green ones! If thats all that's left because you can't make it during the madness when they open, how is it the owners fault?!? Instead of seeing & understanding that they are smart business owners for utilitizing even their green mangos, you try to take away what you can because you had a bad experience due to your own fault!!! Green mangos have a big consumer following at Truly Tropical (especially Asian market), so before you try to discredit or talk bad about these nice people in anyway (Zills & Chris), get your ass down to their places as soon as they open!!! As far listing varieties that are available, like Rob said you can call the Zills. For TT Chris lists the ones on her website & the ones she does list are the varieties in peak season with the most abundant harvest for that day. If you can't make it when they open & be lucky enough to grab some of the unlisted varieties then why would she list them? To get people's hopes up? & If she has only a few of that certain varieties!?? Come on!! Don't be an ASS!!!   

This post was blatantly ridiculous!  and how you started it out probably pissed off many. Not worth my time to dissect every sentence! 90% or better of the people going to these places have limited experience and have probably only seen a grocery store mango. Many will purchase inferior mangoes. Zills is a wholesale place, they should not be included in this discussion or in the same category.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
PSM is poly.  And I am growing it and as many others I can get my hands on.  I applaud your effort.  Just think what came from PPK and the hole in this forum and my top 10 mangoes without it...Keen to see what polys you are growing.

I have learned a good deal from Chris and her generosity is expansive.  All these years I thought Fairchild was polyembryonic, until her recent video.  Today she posted Pickering is poly...which isn't what I thought.  Can anyone else confirm this?

I saw their great video on Pickering as well and it is listed as Polyembryonic, can anyone confirm.

Joe, I like your idea about planting seeds, I'm doing the same with both Polyembryonic and Monoembryonic varieties. I would like to get my hands on more Zill varieties to use as starting material but that is difficult to do here.

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 07:43:05 PM »
PSM is poly.  And I am growing it and as many others I can get my hands on.  I applaud your effort.  Just think what came from PPK and the hole in this forum and my top 10 mangoes without it...Keen to see what polys you are growing.

I have learned a good deal from Chris and her generosity is expansive.  All these years I thought Fairchild was polyembryonic, until her recent video.  Today she posted Pickering is poly...which isn't what I thought.  Can anyone else confirm this?

I saw their great video on Pickering as well and it is listed as Polyembryonic, can anyone confirm.

Joe, I like your idea about planting seeds, I'm doing the same with both Polyembryonic and Monoembryonic varieties. I would like to get my hands on more Zill varieties to use as starting material but that is difficult to do here.

Simon

Simon: I see Pickering and others were queried some years ago: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2779.0

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »
Thanks Future, I see Alex said Pickering is Mono. Chris must have accidentally listed it as Poly. Boy do I get around, this forum that is. I've forgotten probably 95% of the lists I've started, lol

Simon

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2017, 01:05:02 PM »
Just wanted to show some seedlings for scale and comment on the controversy of weather PPK (lemon meringue) is poly or mono. Here are pics of four seedlings 3 are PPK and they are monoembryonic and notice the vigor, all four seedlings were started within a few days of each other. The fourth is a sweet tart which sprouted 4 shoots in total, 3 of which I clipped with a pair of scissors to leave the "runt".  Plan on growing out the runts of other poly cultivars and seeing them through to fruition.

-joep450

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk