Author Topic: Considering replacing Angie mango  (Read 25044 times)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Re: Considering replacing Angie mango
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2015, 04:13:56 PM »
Sounds like yours show some promise to improve. Hope that next year they are better for you!

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2016, 08:24:41 AM »
As you may recall, I decided to top work my Angie, converting to Maha Chanok. The grafts I made in the fall sat all winter without growing. In the end, I had only one survive, but that's all I need:) It is very vigourous and is on its third growth flush. Here's the union

I funneled all growth through the graft by  pinching out all growing tips elsewhere. Once it was growing well, I chopped the tree back, leaving 2 weak branches as nurse branches. I started letting water shoots grow. Each time I tip the graft growth to shape its structure, I'll use the pruned tip to graft to a watershoot until I can get 2 more to take. Did the first one yesterday:

Here's the tree overall. The topmost tip is the growth is the graft that took.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2016, 09:34:43 AM »
Sounds like you're becoming a grafting maven.

I have exactly two new leaves on the 15 gallon Maha I planted many months ago.
I bet you will be dining on Maha long before I will.    ::)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2016, 05:15:14 PM »
My Angie tree has set a decent amount of fruit this year, and they're starting to size up.  We'll see how they do with flavor.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  (But I did plant a Maha and Providence last summer.)
John

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »
Hope yours starts growing leaves soon mangoman! I have to say, I'm very impressed with the concept of top working. The vigour that an established root system gives the new graft is incredible - outpaces growth of a new planting so substantially!

John, would love to hear if your Angies are better this year. I'm envious you had room to plant more trees! I'm out of room for more trees, it is now a one in one out deal - lol.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »
I thought I'd post an update. My Angie converted to Maha Chanok is doing great. All the nurse branches have been removed, all leaves here are above the graft lines:

Here's a close up of the initial graft done in August 2015:

It is putting out a nice growth flush now, and is large enough that I expect it to hold fruit next year=)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk