Author Topic: Hardy citrus growing in Switzerland  (Read 12364 times)

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
Re: Hardy citrus growing in Switzerland
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »
Last week, I planted this Citrumelo Nr. 82, that I grafted myself, in my grandma's garden. My own garden is very small and she let me use this corner :). Citrumelo 82 is a selection made by Eisenhut nursery here in Switzerland for those who don't know this cultivar. Pics and description can be seen here: https://www.forum-agrumes.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=948

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2020, 03:42:06 AM »
Thanks Florian for the posting. This hybrid actually seems to be one of the best hybrids selected so far. I will plant this one as well, I am still looking for a source of material (scions or plants). I have a copy of the Poncirus x Changsha seedlings that Bernhard Voss made in the early nineties. The version I have is tested hardy outdoors to -17°C without damage (it was not colder for me yet) and is reliably fruiting every year with fruits, whose skin has 1/3 to 1/4 Poncirin of Poncirus fruits, and the content not at all, pleasant citrus aroma, not sweet, but a bit tangerine-like, for juice, lemonade, jam in my opinion very suitable. I have posted about this several times already. One should take such selected hybrids as crossing partners for further breeding work...then maybe one day you will get a poncirin-free and yet hardy citrus!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:14:24 AM by usirius »
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2020, 06:46:36 AM »
Thanks Florian for the posting. This hybrid actually seems to be one of the best hybrids selected so far. I will plant this one as well, I am still looking for a source of material (rice or plants). I have a copy of the Poncirus x Changsha seedlings that Bernhard Voss made in the early nineties. The version I have is tested hardy outdoors to -17°C without damage (it was not colder for me yet) and is reliably fruiting every year with fruits, whose skin has 1/3 to 1/4 Poncirin of Poncirus fruits, and the content not at all, pleasant citrus aroma, not sweet, but a bit tangerine-like, for juice, lemonade, jam in my opinion very suitable. I have posted about this several times already. One should take such selected hybrids as crossing partners for further breeding work...then maybe one day you will get a poncirin-free and yet hardy citrus!

Is your 899-Hybrid trifoliate or monofoliate? I have 4 of them. 899A and 899J are monofoliate. 899F an 899H are not. All of them flower.

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2020, 03:01:40 AM »
Hello Ursirius,

the fruits of URS899 that you describe on page 2 in comparision with Flying dragon are they from the same tree from which you send me a fruit a few years ago? You offered a fruit via ebay that I bought. And subsequently we had intense contact via email. You also send me some files for copying.

I feel by the way quite guilty that I did not keep up our contact. I was very buisy shortly after our conversation (marriage, moving, new job, then baby) but I know that is a pure excuse for letting fall asleep our contact.

Regards,
Till

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2020, 05:45:38 AM »
@Till
yes, this is actually the same tree from which you got a fruit back then and from which I photographed the fruit last year

By the way, after the fruit I gave you, the tree has stopped growing, so first not for a while, then a fruit has grown and now there are more and more fruits per season, I think now the tree is stable adult.

Don't worry that you didn't get in touch with me anymore, it happens, although I am glad that you can still remember me, and I regret that you didn't keep in touch. But it is just human and also due to capacity that one cannot keep all contacts alive with the same attention.

@ Zitrusgaertner

The tree bears stable trifoliate leaves, relatively large, i.e. larger than Poncirus trifoliata, slightly wavy.  I can post pictures which show the leaves, maybe you can compare them to your 899F and 899H .

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2020, 07:06:48 AM »
@usirius

here you can find Bernhards original description of the different types.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130106094639fw_/http://www.agrumi-voss.de/hrs.htm

I think we posted about it on another forum.... :)

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2020, 08:01:36 AM »
@mikkel: Thanks, but this table is already well known, it doesn't help me, it is unfortunately too ambiguous to determine my hybrids exactly, and it doesn't contain any pictures. The only thing that might help here are specimens from people who still have them growing to compare with, so you can rule out what it is not, and maybe find what it is. Therefore the idea that @Zitrusgaertner with photos of his HRS899 F and HRS899 J and I make a comparison based on my photos together.

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2020, 04:05:45 PM »
@Ursirius
Thank you for your friendly answer! I`ll try to be less absent in the future. When your email adress has not changed I can keep up our contact via email.

Regarding your clone of HRS899, I was positively surprised that you did not find its fruits resinious. I remember that the fruit you sent me (the ebay-fruit) was similar resinous as I knew it from Poncirus. But I also remember a nice Citrus smell and a little bit mandarine taste with some sweetness besides relatively weak Poncirus smell and taste. Now, my fruit had already dried out a bit and it was as you wrote the first fruit ever. Did you observe that fruit quality improved over the years?

Perhaps an encouragement for breeding: All seedlings from your fruit were different and all seeds were monoembryonic. Some seeds were defective as we know it from other plant hybrids. But a fair emount was well developed. Those germinated well.