Author Topic: Pickering Mango container size?  (Read 1995 times)

TNAndy

• East Tennessee USA zone 6b
    • View Profile
Pickering Mango container size?
« on: October 24, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »
After years of wanting one, I finally bought a grafted Pickering mango.  I understand this variety is what is known as a "condo mango", thus suitable for growing in a pot.  Right now I have it potted up to an intermediate container:  10-1/2 inches inner diameter (ID) by 11inches deep.  The tree is now close to 20 inches tall with about a 20 inch spread.  One of the two main branches has just sprouted a new flush of leaves.

What size of container will I need if I want to harvest fruit and not to see the tree moisture stressed when it is mature?  I have some 23 inch ID by 14 inch deep containers and one that's 22" ID by 17" deep, but if necessary, I will buy an even larger one.  I have a range of smaller sized pots.  My plan is to repot the mango into the recommended size of larger container which will be its permanent home.  I don't think I'm in any hurry to repot again, but I thought I'd start asking now.

I mount my large plant containers on heavy duty casters for ease of movement, so that won't be any issue.  I live in Tennessee, so I grow my tropical plants in my sunroom from mid fall through late spring.  I move them outdoors for the summer.  I think our summer weather and rainwater help keep them healthy.

I have decided that commercial potting mixes contain too much peat moss.  My current potting mix is one-half Sta-Green potting mix and one-half ground coconut coir with a generous helping of Espoma Plant-tone organic fertilizer, mixed well.  This mix drains very quickly yet retains plenty of moisture.  Coconut coir is supposed to be highly rot resistant.  If you have a soil mix that has met with great mango success, please let me know what it is.

Thanks!

TNAndy

• View Profile
Re: Pickering Mango container size?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 12:49:21 PM »
Does anybody have an answer for this?

If you grow a condo mango in a container, what size is the container and what size is the tree?  Is your tree healthy?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »
I don't have first hand experience but I also bought Pickering, Cogshall, Ice Cream and Orange Essence to grow in pots (I ran out of room in my backyard). They are currently in 5-7 gallon pots, I am planning to transfer them into 15 then to 25 and finally to 65 gallon pots as they grow big. I already bought 65 gallon pots for them since they aren't easy to come by at local nurseries.

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »
have one in a 5 gallon pot for about a year now and the tree is about 5ft tall. i'll be repotting it probably into a 10 gallon pot for the next step up. and then see how that goes. i rather not have to keep on re-potting but it's prob best in the long run for the tree. also i get to amend the soil and check on the roots. i've only used dr. earth potting soil or the kellogg ones but i'll amend with worm castings, fertilizers etc. seems to be okay so far.

TNAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 04:20:05 PM »
I don't have first hand experience but I also bought Pickering, Cogshall, Ice Cream and Orange Essence to grow in pots (I ran out of room in my backyard). They are currently in 5-7 gallon pots, I am planning to transfer them into 15 then to 25 and finally to 65 gallon pots as they grow big. I already bought 65 gallon pots for them since they aren't easy to come by at local nurseries.

Thanks!

Do you know whether mangos are deep rooted (container would need extra height), shallow rooted (container would need extra diameter), or average (container would need a balance between diameter and height)?

You are definitely right about large pots not being easy to come by.  The largest I've found in my locale is 24 inch diameter by 15 inch height (about 27 gallons if my calculations are correct).  I definitely want something bigger for a permanent pot, but it's hard to find anything less than $200.  I found a Japi Low Linea planter on Hayneedle for $156 and free shipping.  The size is 30.7 inch diameter by 24.5 inch high which by my math is about 62 gallons.

TNAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 04:27:04 PM »
have one in a 5 gallon pot for about a year now and the tree is about 5ft tall. i'll be repotting it probably into a 10 gallon pot for the next step up. and then see how that goes. i rather not have to keep on re-potting but it's prob best in the long run for the tree. also i get to amend the soil and check on the roots. i've only used dr. earth potting soil or the kellogg ones but i'll amend with worm castings, fertilizers etc. seems to be okay so far.

I have my Pickering in about a 3.5 gallon pot right now.  I might be able to pot it up into a 5 gallon pot, but going much larger than that is going to be unwieldy when it comes time for the 60+ gallon final container.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 05:15:03 PM »

Thanks!

Do you know whether mangos are deep rooted (container would need extra height), shallow rooted (container would need extra diameter), or average (container would need a balance between diameter and height)?

You are definitely right about large pots not being easy to come by.  The largest I've found in my locale is 24 inch diameter by 15 inch height (about 27 gallons if my calculations are correct).  I definitely want something bigger for a permanent pot, but it's hard to find anything less than $200.  I found a Japi Low Linea planter on Hayneedle for $156 and free shipping.  The size is 30.7 inch diameter by 24.5 inch high which by my math is about 62 gallons.

Mangoes do have tap root, so pot isn't an ideal location to grow them. They are also known to fruit 300+ years in Asian countries. But since I don't have many options I am planning to grow slow growers in pots. I would like to have as many mango varieties as my backyard allows (planted 9 in ground recently). I have got a great deal on the 65 gallon pots. Champa Nursery in El Monte was selling them for $45 or $48, my price was much less since I bought close to $1k worth of tress during that trip.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 06:56:20 PM »

Thanks!

Mangoes do have tap root, so pot isn't an ideal location to grow them. They are also known to fruit 300+ years in Asian countries. But since I don't have many options I am planning to grow slow growers in pots. I would like to have as many mango varieties as my backyard allows (planted 9 in ground recently). I have got a great deal on the 65 gallon pots. Champa Nursery in El Monte was selling them for $45 or $48, my price was much less since I bought close to $1k worth of tress during that trip.

why not multi graft your best choices with same growth rates onto in ground trees? you could spread 40-50 varieties on your 6 trees. But IMHO if you take a poll and focus on top 10 or 15 that do well in CA, that is all you need. mix of coconut, tangy, plain sweet, piney types of mangoes will provide you with best collection of all.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 09:59:50 PM »

Thanks!

why not multi graft your best choices with same growth rates onto in ground trees? you could spread 40-50 varieties on your 6 trees. But IMHO if you take a poll and focus on top 10 or 15 that do well in CA, that is all you need. mix of coconut, tangy, plain sweet, piney types of mangoes will provide you with best collection of all.

That's the plan from now on, I wish I frequented this board before I purchased the trees.