Author Topic: Jackfruit in container problems  (Read 1037 times)

mahen.jnk

• India
    • View Profile
Jackfruit in container problems
« on: June 27, 2020, 12:23:09 AM »
This is my 1.5 years old jackfruit plant in container. It is in this 12" container for 1 year. For the last few months the top leaves are drying with brown edges but the bottom side shoot is growing well and looks healthy. There is hardly any new growth in the top part. What ever new leaves it is rarely putting up in the top part are very tiny and not more than 1-2 mm in size. Hardly visible and not growing any bigger. The main trunk hasn't grown even by a few mm in height in last 3-4 months while all of the bottom side shoot growth happened during the same period. What could be the problem? some under watering might have happened during the summer months. Only organic fertilizer used but quite possible I little over used it. Last 3-4 months was summer in India. Any suggestions for recovery?

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit in container problems
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 04:34:24 AM »
What soil is in that pot? It looks a bit too heavy for a plant in a pot. A bigger pot and some lighter potting mix would possibly do wonders. It should be growing like crazy in summer! If you are able to plant in ground, I would do that. I’ve got 3 year old Jakfruit in the ground over 12ft tall. Way better in the ground if you can.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:39:11 AM by Rannman »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »
The tap root is toasted, they dont love pot life.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 06:53:05 PM »
My jackfruit that I planted in the ground in my greenhouse was a little smaller than that a year ago, and now is 9ft tall and growing rapidly.  I agree... I don't think it is likely to adapt well to living in a container.

mahen.jnk

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 01:26:03 PM »
thanks for the replies. I transplanted it to ground from pot. Shall report progress.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk