Author Topic: Gotta have more varieties of mango!  (Read 8822 times)

Dexter_FTG

• Friends dont let friends eat a Tommy Atkins!
    • Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Gotta have more varieties of mango!
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »
Fellow mango nuts, I NEED more mangos! I want to add a total of 7 more to my collection.
Here's the mango collection I have:
Keitt                            Fairchild
Nam Doc Mai                Pickering
Maha Chanok               Cogshall
Graham                       Manilita
Neelam                       Mallika
Tebow (go gators!)       Galaxy
Rapoza

What should I add based on what grows best in South Florida conditions?
Mango: the other white meat

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta have more varieties of mango!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 11:33:37 PM »
Lemon Zest seems like a good one to add.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:05:30 AM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 11:56:40 PM »
That would be "Young"...no such thing as Tebow.

As for recommendations:
Lemon Zest
Southern Blush
Val Carrie
Sweet Tart
Cushman
Honey Kiss
Angie
PPK
Coc
Dot
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:25:48 AM »
You have two late mangoes but no early ones as far as I can tell. So get one or two early ones.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 12:27:16 AM »
That's a good collection that you have there already. The following mango tree suggestions all have the reputation of being quite solid selections:

'Rosy-Gold' is one that you might want to add. It is consistently the earliest mango for me every year.
'Carrie' is uniquely superb in my opinion.
'Glenn' has a wonderful quality to it.
'Kent' is just famous as an all around wonderful mango.
'Miracle-Mango;' I've seen people gawk at this variety when it produces fruit in the months of Nov.-Dec.-January. I have a young tree that's given me lots of fruit in the early Summer time, except this year, in which it's given me just a few. Perhaps it's getting ready to bear fruit in the coming Nov.-Dec.-Jan winter months.

I have tasted all of the above and have the above mango tree varieties, and in my opinion/experience, they're a great addition to any collection.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 12:45:06 AM »
Miracle mango is a nickname for Choc Anon which is average quality at best.   It is also nowhere near a given that it will give a wwinter crop.  It is not worth planting for the hopes that it might.  Go for quality,  not hypothetical novelty.

Carrie is in a love or hate group.
- Rob

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »
When I saw the title of this post, I expected to find that Dongeorgio was the author!

Brad
Brad

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »
 definitely add the Spirit of 76 and lancetilla mango is more of a novelty mango since they grow huge. Also Kent is a good addition as well as Valencia Pride or the Val-carrie and Edward and Duncan, these are must haves.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »
I'll second some of the prior recommendations, with a couple provisos.

Lemon Zest?   Of course!

Cushman is unique. Go for it.

Dot may require a fair bit of spraying to get good fruit set, depending on how far inland you are.  But it is wonderful and distinctive.

I haven't tried Angie, but keep reading great things about it.  And Squam told me it does well at his place, which is inland quite a ways.

There is a sub-set of people who don't enjoy Val-Carrie.  You may want to taste it first.     Likewise Carrie, as Rob mentioned. 
Okay, maybe I'm the only one who doesn't care for Val-Carrie. It's excellent but I don't like it.

You could save one of your seven spots for "the next big thing".   But it will be easier to rip out Tebow/Young  or  Nam Doc Mai when that time comes.   ;)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »
as you can see, the answers vary widely.  Since mango season is just about here, why not get a bunch like joep does and see what you like.  Or attend mango mania at F&S park and sample lots of varieties.  I am impatient when it comes to waiting months to try them, but you don't have to wait--just dive right in.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 09:09:52 AM »
you can always top-work like patrick did, once the new trees grow up a bit.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

natsgarden123

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »
Dupuis is a delicious mango, if you want something rarer in your yard - its a big tree. It has become my favorite mango.
There is nothing wrong with Haden . its an oldie with delicious fruit, ( others may disagree) -it may need spraying and it also gets big. I dont have one planted because I planted  a Baileys Marvel-in retrospect, I should have planted a Haden.
I have a Valencia Pride which is full of beautiful and tasty fruit -once again, a big tree.
Lemon Zest is delicious, as others have pointed out - a big tree it seems, as well.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 09:45:51 AM »
I have had limited tastings of both, but I prefer dwarf hawaiian over rosigold as far as early-season mangoes go.  The flavor had me wanting more (only bought 3).  They are smaller than rosigold, but tasted much better, IMO
~Jeff

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 10:20:16 AM »
There are a handful of early season mangoes that are, however, not something worth running out to plant other than to say you have an extremely early season mango.  If your acreage was unlimited I might recommend them but I am not even sure of that.  Im my opinion, stick to quality and you can always purchase a few of the early "odd" varieties if you must have a taste of mangoes in March or April.  I would prefer to build up the waitig and enjoy the better quality fruit in a more narrow time period.  It make them that much more enjoyable.  It is like people who buy mangoes in grocery stores over the "off season".  You knopw what you are going to get, crap!  Why waste time and money on them.  Again, you will enjoy the fresh picked quality fruit that much more by passing on fruit that is not only far inferior but basically unripe and inedible.

If space is an issue, be wary of planting some of the larger/vigorous growing varieties (Valencia Pride, Baileys Marvey, Haden (not only is the average Haden just that, average, it is also a little fibrous and susceptible to anthracnose which makes it not really worth it...I would much rather have to spray a Dot to get fruit than spray a Haden to get fruit as Dot are far superior in avery aspect).  They can get quite large, taking up space that may make you having room for 7 down to room for 5 or 6.  I am also not a fan of either Valencia Pride nor Baileys Marvel but thats me and tastes are subjective.  There are many who love them and many who don't.
- Rob

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
I agree with most of the recomendations already made but will add a few notes.

For very early mangoes add a Rosigold, you'll be very happy every March and April when your eating lots of fresh mango, this is a very productive tree. 

Wheres the king? If you have the room available get an Edward. The fruit is so good its one of the few that I have more then one planted out.   

Get yourself an Angie, many who have tasted it at my house rate it as the best mango they have ever had and its productive. 

PPK (lemon Meringue) grows very well out west and has a unique taste get one. 

As your located in western Broward with muck soil forget Cushman its really disease prone and very unproductive out west. I'm seriously considering topworking my Cushman tree with something else.   

Tony     

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 10:35:09 AM »
Carrie if you like sweet
 Rosy Gold early and it is good
Coconut Cream  coconut flavor
 Glen just good mango taste

Mike

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »
On a side note, and I apologize for doing what I criticize people of doing, hijacking a thread, I had the first tree ripened Coconut Cream yesterday.   Was excellent for an outlier based on early ripening.
- Rob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
So...after hearing about this black "galaxy" mango last year,
is it now being sold?  and from whom????

Gary

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 05:49:33 PM »
Mike from Benders Grove got a hold of a limited number from PIN.  I believe that Eric from PIN also had some available for rare fruit members in central FL.  I doubt they are ready for regular purchase yet, but you could contact Pine Island to see. 
~Jeff

Dexter_FTG

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 06:03:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies! I am pretty much a lover of all mangos. Of course everyone's taste is a little different. That being said I just wanted to see what people thought.

One mango I'm definantly going to get based on everyone's recommendations is Lemon Zest. I know it tends to get a little larger. I've got one spot open for a larger tree. The other spots have to be kept someone small. I space my trees 15 feet apart in a staggered pattern.

MangoFang: The galaxy mango came from Bender's grove in west Broward. If you haven't been, you should go. He has just about every thing you can think of. The first time I called there I made the mistake of asking "what kind of mango trees do you have?" I almost fell asleep while he rattled off all the countless varieties of trees he has in stock (had to have been 100+ varieties)

I know I like Carrie mangos (ridiculously sweet). I actually bought a carrie mango tree from the swapshop... turned out it was a pickering (still not a bad trade). I'm going to get either a Carrie or Val Carrie (once I try them side by side).

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »
Are these mango trees in the ground or are you a "in pots" collector?

Edit: I saw your "muck soil" post.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:57:31 PM by ricshaw »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
Carrie and Val Carrie are totally different.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »
I would add

PPK
Peggy
Manila Veracruzano
Manila Blanca
Dama

Dexter_FTG

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 09:11:40 PM »
All in the ground. Spaced 15ft apart. Im trying to stick with smaller trees or at least ones that can easily be kept small

natsgarden123

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 08:32:56 AM »
Have you actually tasted Carrie?. Not everyone like it.

If you need small, I'm pretty sure lz is a big tree, although I've never seen a full grown tree. I'm sure someone here can comment on that.