Author Topic: Birds and squirrels raiding lychee tree - suggestions?  (Read 10487 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

muttley

• Ghana, West Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Birds and squirrels raiding lychee tree - suggestions?
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 06:43:42 PM »
That is the one,Carlos.  Those snares are devastatingly effective, and so easy to make.

If I were ever stranded on a jungle island with just one survival item , I would choose snare wire over anything else.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 07:26:56 PM »
There is a lot of info in YouTube on the subject. Thanks from bringing it to our attention.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 08:48:18 PM »
Just checked some youtube vids on squirrel snares.  Survivalist and fruit tree growers unite!   

Looks simple.  Hope it works.  I'll try it the next couple of weeks.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 07:21:44 AM »
Had anyone tried covering their lychee tree with netting?  I ended up putting some available netting on the tree but the birds worked through most of it.  The holes were about 1" - maybe it would have been better if they were smaller.  And the netting was a one time use since it tangled so easily while putting it on and taking it off.
Brad

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 01:17:50 PM »
I have used fruit tree netting with some success on a Angie mango tree when it was only about 8 feet high and maybe 8 feet across. For some reason the bluejays developed a special affinity for Angie mango's and were tearing them up daily. We managed to stretch the net accross the tree and it did minimise fruit loss and damages for the rest of that season.   

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »
Had anyone tried covering their lychee tree with netting?  I ended up putting some available netting on the tree but the birds worked through most of it.  The holes were about 1" - maybe it would have been better if they were smaller.  And the netting was a one time use since it tangled so easily while putting it on and taking it off.

I purchased a bird netting a few months ago and had every intention of using it on the Lychee tree...but during a "dry run" while the lychees were still small and green...it got all tangled up and got caught in every thing...my fingers, my watch, the leaves, branches the fruits...you name it it got caught in something and I decided I wasn't going to use it,lol...it would have been a nightmare trying to get to the fruits when they got ripe and removing it would have been a huge Pain!!

I'm thinking a mango tree would be  much easier to to use it on...since the fruits are larger and the leaves are much larger as well... 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk