Author Topic: Aticle on fruit thieves  (Read 8321 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Aticle on fruit thieves
« on: July 13, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »
Here's an article on fruit theft that shows how polarized the people who own trees and those who feel entitled to share / "redistribute" the wealth. 

http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2009/10/08/resentment-builds-against-fruit-thieves#add_comments
Regards,

Gary

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Aticle on fruit thieves
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »
Interesting article. I finally caught someone stealing one of the remaining Lemon Zest fruits on my mom's tree. I was pulling up at her house yesterday and saw someone standing in the middle of the tree and then came out holding a fruit. I told him to give me the mango and to not steal our fruit. He claimed he picked it up from the floor. Afterwards, I reviewed the video, and he lied. He went straight into the tree and picked the fruit. There was no bending over to pick anything up from the floor. It was pretty evident at the time too because the mango was freshly dripping sap when he handed it to me and the stem break was fresh.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »
I like that she has video monitoring.  This has been something I have considered, more for general home security.   It would also be interesting to know which neighbors are "picking up" fruit from the ground...or which neighbor keeps letting their dog do it's business near my mailbox without picking it up :)
Brad

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 04:30:50 PM »
I like that she has video monitoring.  This has been something I have considered, more for general home security.   It would also be interesting to know which neighbors are "picking up" fruit from the ground...or which neighbor keeps letting their dog do it's business near my mailbox without picking it up :)

I only setup the camera system for her a few weeks ago after the majority of the mangos were stolen though. So I won't know who took cleaned out the tree.

Costco has great camera systems that are pretty easy to setup and are reasonably priced.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 04:35:22 PM »

My being in the A/V and surveillance technologies, I have 8 cameras in and around my house. I regularly see them on video but what can I do? The police aren't going to do much if anything. I had a break in 6 years ago, the girl got $6k in stuff... she got an ankle bracelet, a year in mommies house and had to pay me 50% of what the stuff was worth in restitution.

Regards,

Gary

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »
I had someone steal 3-4 Cushman mangos off a tree I planted next to a building I own. It has a surveillance system and I saw on the DVR that is was a homeless guy picking them; I wasn't too irked since I figured he needed the food...it was a shame that he picked them 3 weeks early and they probably never ripened properly.

However, people that are not homeless and steal fruit are THIEVES, period. Stealing is stealing, no matter what it is. The older I get the more I realize that there is a large percentage of our population with a serious lack of morals, scruples, and manners.
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »
Such a shame people could be so cold hearted to steal someone's crop! Here in Hawaii, fruit thieves is very common. Many times, people will ask to pick, you say no, so they come back night time and they raid the whole tree... The usual case is they will say if caught "I figured I could have one, there's a whole bunch", but my grandmother would just start swearing in Japanese and call the cops on them! HAHAHA

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:28:40 PM »
In Bermuda we have a ridiculous term for those who steal from farms - "night farmers". This includes fruit trees and vegetables.  I have had bananas stolen - 50lb bunches.  Pumpkins as well.  Stealing off fruit trees is particularly heinous in that the grower may have waited years for production of highly valued crops.  Orange trees are routinely raided in Bermuda and I know owners who have cut down their trees due to not getting a single fruit from their own tree for year.  Fencing, expensive and in some situation has been cut through.  Signs = advertisement there is something to steal.  There is a solution to this...but I have yet to resolve the best way to deal with this...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 02:32:21 AM »
Interesting article. I finally caught someone stealing one of the remaining Lemon Zest fruits on my mom's tree. I was pulling up at her house yesterday and saw someone standing in the middle of the tree and then came out holding a fruit. I told him to give me the mango and to not steal our fruit. He claimed he picked it up from the floor. Afterwards, I reviewed the video, and he lied. He went straight into the tree and picked the fruit. There was no bending over to pick anything up from the floor. It was pretty evident at the time too because the mango was freshly dripping sap when he handed it to me and the stem break was fresh.
No citizen's arrest? Did you read him his rights? Seriously what can you do about it, tie him up while you call the police?
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 02:35:13 AM »

I only setup the camera system for her a few weeks ago after the majority of the mangos were stolen though. So I won't know who took cleaned out the tree.

Costco has great camera systems that are pretty easy to setup and are reasonably priced.
How much is the camera system? Is it really cheaper than what you would loose in fruit thefts? I am considering setting up camera system as obviously someone is jumping a fence, and was obvious enough to cut top barbed wire to jump it. I think it's the neighbor but would like to prove it before doing anything about it.
Oscar

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 08:05:46 AM »
Here's a handy little gadget that doesn't cost very much: http://www.asseenontv.com/driveway-patrol-dont-be-caught-offguard/detail.php?p=294566
    I have two and love them!
    Of course, if that bedside chime rings in the middle of the night, you've got to be willing to go outside and confront the thief. Do you have the nerve?
      Fortunately, two-legged fruit thieves aren't a problem in my neighborhood, but four-legged ones are. My Driveway Patrol informs me when they are on the prowl.
     One time this unit helped solved a mystery. Something kept stealing the bait from my Hav-A-Hart trap without tripping it. I suspected a rat. So, I placed the motion sensor next to the trap, attached a string to the trigger, ran this string to my bedroom window, and went to bed. In the middle of the night the chime sounded. I went to the window and pulled the string, shutting the trap. I got dressed and went out. Sure enough, there was a rat in the trap. It didn't weigh enough to trip the trap. The Driveway Patrol alerted me that he was at the bait.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 09:16:34 AM »
Sheehan...at least you were able to catch someone actually in the act.  That is rare.  And his claim that it was on the ground?  I would have told him I didn't give a shit if it was on the ground or not.  It's still my effing ground and get the frak out of here!  You should have walked up and taken a pic with your phone and then put his damn face up on poles all over the neighborhood labeled as a thief.

Oscar...electric fence??!!  LOL!  You should set up a big net to scoop the bastard up and suspend him from a tree for a while.  Then go at him with some bamboo while still hanging there.  Just a thought...  :o

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 09:28:49 AM »
Rock salt and riot control shotgun rounds(keep a variety of loaded magazines for each type of occasion). I cant justify using lethal force for thieves of fruit(well the two legged kind) but I wont stand by and let the fruit of my labors get stolen by some miscreant. Hold them at gunpoint until the cops arrive. Theft is theft and I know in GA stealing pecans was an arrestable offense. I would be surprised if FL doesn't have similar laws on the books. At a minimum its trespassing.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »

A brief story that shows how serious fruit theft can be considered. Several years ago, I was on a multi agency team working around the clock surveillance of a rural site. One of the team members, an agent with a large alphabet agency stopped off on the way to the site, hopped a small fence and took a few oranges off a tree. He was observed by the grove owner who recorded the car's tag number. The grove owner called the Sheriffs office who responded and took a agricultural theft report. Using the vehicles tag number the agent was identified and cited by the Sheriffs office. He paid a large fine and was fired from his job. He appealed the firing and was instead suspended without pay for 45 days.         

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
Sheehan...at least you were able to catch someone actually in the act.  That is rare.  And his claim that it was on the ground?  I would have told him I didn't give a shit if it was on the ground or not.  It's still my effing ground and get the frak out of here!  You should have walked up and taken a pic with your phone and then put his damn face up on poles all over the neighborhood labeled as a thief.

Oscar...electric fence??!!  LOL!  You should set up a big net to scoop the bastard up and suspend him from a tree for a while.  Then go at him with some bamboo while still hanging there.  Just a thought...  :o

I have several neighbors here in Southwest Ranches with electrified fences to keep their livestock in...and thieves out too, I'm guessing. ;)   

Sumatraexotics

• Indonesia, Sumatra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 10:50:16 AM »
Actually u just need a sign: attention don't eat the fruit, all hd been applied deadly poison/ very toxic insecticide/ nematicide for research. With skeleton picture. But I really apply curater to the tree.
Email: tks4ady@gmail.com
FB: sumatraexotics@gmail.com
LINE:

Be careful use facebook, they deleted my previous accout sumatraexotics@yahoo.com, because I refuse to give them pic of my government ID card.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 11:30:40 AM »
No citizen's arrest? Did you read him his rights? Seriously what can you do about it, tie him up while you call the police?

Seriously, what kind of attorney is he? I would've call the police and sat in my car taking video and file charges against him/her for trespassing and grand larceny. My local police told me I could not use force to detain a thieve.....they told me to take video and wait until they arrive.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »
Get of my larn! Haha!
Seriously, my lone mango tree is at the outside edge of the lawn with 3 fruits on it on-the-job street side. Hope the neighbors don't feel like picking them. The ones next door don't seem to care for our fruits.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »
Since much of the theft occurs at night, can the cameras identify someone in the dark?  I would love to take pictures and post "wanted: fruit theif" all over the neighborhood.  My pomegranates and persimmons dont stand a chance since they are close to the sidewalk on the side yard.  Satsuma's are overlooked because they are ripe while still green.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

natsgarden123

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 02:44:36 PM »

out of curiosity, did he hand back the fruit?

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
Since much of the theft occurs at night, can the cameras identify someone in the dark?  I would love to take pictures and post "wanted: fruit theif" all over the neighborhood.  My pomegranates and persimmons dont stand a chance since they are close to the sidewalk on the side yard.  Satsuma's are overlooked because they are ripe while still green.

Cameras set closer to eye level with an infra red array of LED's are able to get facial features, but if the face is too close it may wash out or out of the IR range the features get too dark
Regards,

Gary

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 05:47:41 PM »
Today a gal in work told me that this past week a local Florida Power and Light crew went into her back yard to steal mango and a neighbor challenged them and told them to leave.  They laughed and continued to pick till they couldn't hold any more.

She was aggravated because her Julie didn't produce much this year and these FP&L workers cleaned her out.

After that, they went walking through her neighbors yards looking for more!!!

Regards,

Gary

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »
to me, if they are homeless, it wouldn't bother me at all.
its ashamed as a society this needs to happen at all...

for the people who can afford it. they are just thieves

i grow a tomato, basil, guava and a papaya plant in front of my house
and 3 of each (and lots of other stuff) in the backyard.

I tell my neighbors to help themselves to anything in the front yard.
they rarely do, so i bring it to them when i have an abundance.

This has led to one lady cooking for me, and bringing me food on a regular basis. :p
usually with the stuff i gave her, but other dishes as well.
That becomes much appreciated for a single guy who doesnt cook much LOL :p ;D

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
Today a gal in work told me that this past week a local Florida Power and Light crew went into her back yard to steal mango and a neighbor challenged them and told them to leave.  They laughed and continued to pick till they couldn't hold any more.

She was aggravated because her Julie didn't produce much this year and these FP&L workers cleaned her out.

After that, they went walking through her neighbors yards looking for more!!!

I'm sure that FPL would not take this employee misconduct lightly if it were reported. 

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »
to me, if they are homeless, it wouldn't bother me at all.
its ashamed as a society this needs to happen at all...

for the people who can afford it. they are just thieves

i grow a tomato, basil, guava and a papaya plant in front of my house
and 3 of each (and lots of other stuff) in the backyard.

I tell my neighbors to help themselves to anything in the front yard.
they rarely do, so i bring it to them when i have an abundance.

This has led to one lady cooking for me, and bringing me food on a regular basis. :p
usually with the stuff i gave her, but other dishes as well.
That becomes much appreciated for a single guy who doesnt cook much LOL :p ;D

Homeless or not, its stealing.   

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
Fruit thievery is a big problem. Before I started growing my own fruit, I'd never have suspected that it was so. Even trees in the backyard will get raided, unless it's enclosed by a good fence.
Jeff  :-)

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 08:43:47 PM »
one word for unsuspecting thieves eyeing my backyard fruit: hostile vegetation. my fence is lined with it

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 10:04:12 PM »
out of curiosity, did he hand back the fruit?

Yup, he gave it back to me right away. As soon as I pulled up I told him to give me back the fruit and after he handed it to me that's when he claimed he picked it up off the ground.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk