Author Topic: August 2015 SoCal Mango tasting  (Read 14389 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: August 2015 SoCal Mango tasting
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
edit, decided this was too off topic so removed.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:10:34 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 11:21:03 AM »
Simon, thanks for posting pic's and telling us about Mango tasting looks like you guy's had fun. I saw and talked briefly to Leo and Jim and meet Fang at F.O.F. 8)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 12:39:34 PM »
Second tasting missed in a row because of deployments....  Duty calls :(   

Well I have another late crop of Nam Doc Mai this year that should be ready when I come back...and a newcomer named Edward has joined the Fray and should also be ready around October... Still missed my chance on the GOAT:Lemon Zest :(
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 11:55:28 PM »
Frank, I know your not a huge lychee fan (you're not growing any that I remember).  What was your opinion of the lychees tasted?

Bill

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 12:13:25 AM »
Frank, I know your not a huge lychee fan (you're not growing any that I remember).  What was your opinion of the lychees tasted?

Bill

You are right I am not a big fan of Litchi but it's growing on me after years. This year I've eaten more Litchis than ever and after trying 10 varieties in FL and 5 here in Socal I prefer Brewster and Sweet Cliff. Both for their smaller seeds sweet, spicy, floral  taste and because the flesh does not clinch to the seeds. I am growing Sweetheart and will add those two.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 12:15:44 AM »
Bill - though I  didn't make the tasting at Peter's place, I was at Leo's and had some
incredible Brewsters!!!!

Wow, so sweet and juicy with a kind of rosey taste...

Gary

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 12:21:20 AM »
Bill - though I  didn't make the tasting at Peter's place, I was at Leo's and had some
incredible Brewsters!!!!

Wow, so sweet and juicy with a kind of rosey taste...

Gary

Gary what the heck happen to you? Ate some litchis a burrito and disappear.....you miss the big event and we missed your input :D

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 03:16:40 AM »
Wow, looked like you guys had a lot of fun.  How can I join this club? Sign me up for the next tasting.

I didn't know you were coming down to San Diego JF.  Otherwise id ask you to bring those left over Annonas and the nam doc Mai

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »
Wow, looked like you guys had a lot of fun.  How can I join this club? Sign me up for the next tasting.

I didn't know you were coming down to San Diego JF.  Otherwise id ask you to bring those left over Annonas and the nam doc Mai

PM

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 11:51:06 PM »
I tested the Brix of some of Leo's Brewster Lychees and the highest reading I got was 21% but the majority was closer to 20%. Leo said this year was probably his best fruit year for his Brewster, I'll ask him how often it bears next time I see him.

Best day, you are too funny! I have a sister in law I'm going to bring with me next time I go to Peters orchard in hopes there might be some electricity between the two, lol.

Simon

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 02:18:02 PM »
Sent you an email today, JF - yeah, remember I told you I had to leave at 1pm?  So when we
got done eating it was close to 12:30 so I just thought I would have no time over at Peter's
if I went there, and would have to leave pronto, so I just split!

I BLEW IT!  What can i say????

:-X

Gary

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 03:53:33 PM »
Sent you an email today, JF - yeah, remember I told you I had to leave at 1pm?  So when we
got done eating it was close to 12:30 so I just thought I would have no time over at Peter's
if I went there, and would have to leave pronto, so I just split!

I BLEW IT!  What can i say????

:-X

Gary

No problem Gary you got another chance in September

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 08:25:20 PM »
Brix results, pictures will be posted by Mark.

Here are the photos:
The Goods

Leo Manuel, Jim Neitzel, Peter Mattos and Mark Lee

Leo, Jim, Simon Chen, and Peter

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 11:33:22 PM »
Thanks for the beautiful pictures Mark, boy that White mango was unique and tasty. At first, I thought it would t be ripe because of the color but it was wonderful. That was an awesome day!

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2015, 01:33:45 AM »
Thanks for the beautiful pictures Mark, boy that White mango was unique and tasty. At first, I thought it would t be ripe because of the color but it was wonderful. That was an awesome day!

Simon

Simon,
The Jehangir was that good?  Now you have me curious since you called it unique. 
Warren

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »
Very impressive Mark, thanks!  We need weekly mango tasting during the season.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 01:13:52 PM »
Jehinger, sorry if I misspelled, was very unique in that the flesh cor was almost completely white and the flesh was very firm yet fine textured and had a wonderful balance of sweet and acid. At least one member of the tasting remarked it was their favorite mango of the day.

Aside from my favorites that I mentioned previously, I would also like to mention that Aloha was also exceptional. It was a very small mango with beautiful colors and it is a very Tropical Sweet Mango flavor with an exceptional aroma. It does not have any coconut, or citrus flavors but it has a strong Mango flavor that is very Tropical. It's kind of a super Haden flavor with some Baileys Marvel and Kent and Edward mixed in.

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 01:44:05 PM »
Simon,

So Aloha doesn't have a resinous taste?  I guess I made a poor assumption that it was similar to its parent in terms of taste.
Warren

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2015, 02:17:38 PM »
Jehinger, sorry if I misspelled, was very unique in that the flesh cor was almost completely white and the flesh was very firm yet fine textured and had a wonderful balance of sweet and acid. At least one member of the tasting remarked it was their favorite mango of the day.

Aside from my favorites that I mentioned previously, I would also like to mention that Aloha was also exceptional. It was a very small mango with beautiful colors and it is a very Tropical Sweet Mango flavor with an exceptional aroma. It does not have any coconut, or citrus flavors but it has a strong Mango flavor that is very Tropical. It's kind of a super Haden flavor with some Baileys Marvel and Kent and Edward mixed in.

Simon

Simon
Aloha is a rather large mango 1-2lb . I brought 4-5 to the tasting I think you focus on a runt. It also has a high brix close to 20. Villa Seņor and Aloha are great legacy mango for California. Behl and I will have California cocktail trees in late September

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 02:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the clarification JF, I must have taken a small one home which is not representative of the fruit in general. It was a wonderful flavor and the small one I cut open today had no Indian resin flavor at all. My daughters really like this variety.

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2015, 04:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the clarification JF, I must have taken a small one home which is not representative of the fruit in general. It was a wonderful flavor and the small one I cut open today had no Indian resin flavor at all. My daughters really like this variety.

Simon

Simon
Did you take Villa Seņor?
They are perfectly ripening and taste like Coconut Cream. Actually there brix score were pretty close

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2015, 06:36:25 PM »
JF, I did like Villa seņor although it was not at the top of my list. It did not stand out for me as I don't recall it having any special attributes. There were just too many mangos!

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 01:32:17 AM »
JF, I did like Villa seņor although it was not at the top of my list. It did not stand out for me as I don't recall it having any special attributes. There were just too many mangos!

Simon

Simon, I don't mean the one we sample in the tasting. We left several at Peter's did you take any of those home? The one we tasted was forced ripe. Here is the Aloha all over a pound a few mangos to contrast

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2015, 08:25:25 AM »
Nope, I didn't get any Villa Seņor that was left over from the table. I just got the Aloha and a small Maha. Peter mentioned to me that he had to force ripen some of the fruit to get them to ripen in time for the tasting so I know many of the mangos tasted will not truely be representative of that particular variety when fully tree ripened and sampled at the perfect stage.

That Ice Cream And Gary Mango still stands out in my mind as extremely good. The Gary definitely had the sugary sweetness I've been looking for in a Mango but the Ice Cream has this crazy unique subtle yet complex flavor that is absolutely delicious. The Ice Cream and Gary are definitely candidates for Double Stone Grafting. Now I just need to find scions!

Simon

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2015, 08:51:09 AM »
Of the twelve or so varieties of mango that I have grown at my house the Gary is the fastest grower. It grows bushy and disease free. My friend has one in the ground and it grows 2-3 times faster then his Kent, Coconut Cream or Spirit of 76. Whatever disease and production issues it has in Florida it sure doesn't appear to have them in SoCal. It's very good to hear that it still has exceptional taste grown here.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk