Author Topic: Attn Carlos: need advice with my Sir Prize  (Read 22422 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Attn Carlos: need advice with my Sir Prize
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2014, 09:55:27 PM »
I've had about 60-80 of these avocado since December and another 20 -30 left on the tree. I was disappointed with their size but taste has been excellent. They take a long time to ripen 10 days but I'm amazed of the small seed and thin skin. It looks like they are going to hold until March we'll just have to wait to see if they are alternate bearing.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 11:11:25 PM »
JF,

Looks yummy.
How are they for guacamole? ...Superbowl just around the corner!
Warren

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2014, 12:46:42 PM »
I was at Home Depot buying some fence material yesterday and noticed that they had some avocado trees at the back of the garden section.
Saw several "Sir Prize" trees and now (after reading all the comments) I think I'll go back and get one.
Think they were about $25.00
The big question is whether I should leave it potted up on the patio for a bit or put it right in the ground?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2014, 01:14:27 PM »
I was at Home Depot buying some fence material yesterday and noticed that they had some avocado trees at the back of the garden section.
Saw several "Sir Prize" trees and now (after reading all the comments) I think I'll go back and get one.
Think they were about $25.00
The big question is whether I should leave it potted up on the patio for a bit or put it right in the ground?

Jeff I would put it directly on the ground it is the perfect time of the year to plant trees and let them establish their roots.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »
JF -  they look tasty - good flavor?

I've been eating some avo's from my tree in L.A. at our ex-home that we sold
a few years ago.  There must have been a squirrel blight as every one of them is
untouched and there are (were) many and they are large and VERY mild tasting.  Picked
about 15 off that tree. And just yesterday, the cleaning lady brought a couple different
varieties (from a neighbor's tree) to give me since I give her various fruits throughout the season.

Here's a pic of them......have no idea what kind they are....G

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2014, 04:32:38 PM »
JF -  they look tasty - good flavor?

I've been eating some avo's from my tree in L.A. at our ex-home that we sold
a few years ago.  There must have been a squirrel blight as every one of them is
untouched and there are (were) many and they are large and VERY mild tasting.  Picked
about 15 off that tree. And just yesterday, the cleaning lady brought a couple different
varieties (from a neighbor's tree) to give me since I give her various fruits throughout the season.

Here's a pic of them......have no idea what kind they are....G

Gary

I need more info but based on the pics I would say a fuerte and Hass.
You say the taste is mild than I would guess its a Bacon.
Can you tell us if the skin is thick or thin. The size on the seed ....better, can you cut them open and take some pics?

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2014, 08:18:22 PM »
Here it is, $23.98 at the Home Depot off Carmel Mtn. Rd. in San Diego.
Now I have to figure out where to dig the hole and how do do that pesky back fill dirt thing everybody's been talking about.
Round hole? - square hole? - amended dirt? - no soil amendments? ..........aaarrrrggghhhh
 :-\

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »
Nice pick up jeff. If I were to plant it I would dig a hole 2x as big fill bottom with potting mix, potting mix is for drainage. Must plant it higher after awhile the tree would sink. Losing the roots a bit when planting.  I learn my lessons when planting avocado trees not to put any amend on top to prevent salt burn to roots. Just back fill the hole with native soil and mulch on top. People don't recommend fertilize trees right away, but it work for me toss some Dr earth fertilizer on top. Good luck.

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2014, 10:35:16 PM »
Nice pick up jeff. If I were to plant it I would dig a hole 2x as big fill bottom with potting mix, potting mix is for drainage. Must plant it higher after awhile the tree would sink. Losing the roots a bit when planting.  I learn my lessons when planting avocado trees not to put any amend on top to prevent salt burn to roots. Just back fill the hole with native soil and mulch on top. People don't recommend fertilize trees right away, but it work for me toss some Dr earth fertilizer on top. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I think this time I'll do just that and use a little cactus mix on the bottom of the hole and back fill with the unamended gray clay subsoil and the top soil that I dig out of the hole.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2014, 03:17:09 PM »
Nice Tree !.

Looking for one of those here In Florida.
I planted some Sir Prize seeds I got from Frank..

Good luck great tree !.
Ed..
Zone 10

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2014, 07:34:14 PM »

I planted some Sir Prize seeds I got from Frank..

Good luck, if it fruits you can name it after you sir ed avocado :)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Here it is, $23.98 at the Home Depot off Carmel Mtn. Rd. in San Diego.
Now I have to figure out where to dig the hole and how do do that pesky back fill dirt thing everybody's been talking about.
Round hole? - square hole? - amended dirt? - no soil amendments? ..........aaarrrrggghhhh
 :-\

Socal10B gave you very good advice. I dont amend my soil I mulch it heavy.....btw, very nice Sir Prize! Durling and Maddock are my two favorite Nurseries in your area.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 10:36:50 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I think this time I'll do just that and use a little cactus mix on the bottom of the hole and back fill with the unamended gray clay subsoil and the top soil that I dig out of the hole.

You know how I feel when it comes to amending backfill.  Here's some excellent advice:

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Fragile%20roots.pdf
http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/B&B%20root%20ball.pdf

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »
Thanks for the info Mark - looks like I'll have to go cold turkey on the soil amendments.

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2014, 09:28:16 PM »
Thanks for the info Mark - looks like I'll have to go cold turkey on the soil amendments.

What came out of the hole went back in as back fill and NO soil amendments were used.
New Sir Prize in foreground.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »

What came out of the hole went back in as back fill and NO soil amendments were used.

Very nice Jeff, Sir Prize is an excellent avocado! It is holding it's own against Ismael, Hass, Pinkerton, Fuerte and Sharwil.....it has a lot of first place votes during my tastings in the last 2 weeks.

Here is a pic cut up with the others

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 10:25:03 PM »

Very nice Jeff, Sir Prize is an excellent avocado! It is holding it's own against Ismael, Hass, Pinkerton, Fuerte and Sharwil.....it has a lot of first place votes during my tastings in the last 2 weeks.

I planted it in the most wind protected area in my backyard and can't wait to see some fruit.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 10:32:51 PM »

I planted it in the most wind protected area in my backyard and can't wait to see some fruit.

Middle of February still harvesting every week and 10-15 holding on a 3 year tree ....excellent producer but I'm afraid it's alternate bearer.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »
Carlos, finally getting some nice large Sir Prize.....they will reach 2 pounds on mature tress. pics with pinkertons

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2014, 09:42:08 PM »
nice sir prize JF. Do you have any flowers on your tree now? thanks.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2014, 10:13:56 PM »
nice sir prize JF. Do you have any flowers on your tree now? thanks.

No flowers maybe next month when I strip it

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2014, 11:04:49 PM »
Carlos, finally getting some nice large Sir Prize.....they will reach 2 pounds on mature tress. pics with pinkertons

Mine is in suspended animation, with flower buds ready to open since  November and as of today does not seem to want to open the flowers.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
Still a really nice looking tree JF. I like how tall and skinny it grows. I might need to swing by and bribe you with a couple cold beers so I can try those beautiful avos you have.

Bill

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2014, 02:29:22 PM »
Still a really nice looking tree JF. I like how tall and skinny it grows. I might need to swing by and bribe you with a couple cold beers so I can try those beautiful avos you have.

Bill

Hey Bill, you better come quick because I counted 10 on the tree this morning. I want them to hold on until late March but we will see. Btw, how is the mango farm doing at your ranch :)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
I wish I had a ranch. I would turn it into a farm!  All my trees are doing well. They will be in the ground this summer. We need to hard scape the backyard first.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk