Author Topic: How cultivate Durio oxleyanus and others wild Durio  (Read 3074 times)

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
How cultivate Durio oxleyanus and others wild Durio
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:15:12 PM »
Hello All,

My seedling Durio oxleyanus and others wild Durio are around 8 months old, these seedling are in my nursery partial shade,  Can I put in full sun ?

Thanks

Ricardo

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: How cultivate Durio oxleyanus and others wild Durio
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 03:34:17 PM »
No full sun until they are 1.5m Give them extra mulch and let them grow above their sun shelter themselves through an open top. Manure and mild fertilizer should be well back (2 feet) from the trunk Ricardo. The real deal with durios is zibethinus still and monthong,gaan yeow,luang,red prawn,D197,D190 and gumpun are soe of the biggest guns.Contrary to loose talk on propagating durians seedling of good types produce good fruit.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »
No full sun until they are 1.5m Give them extra mulch and let them grow above their sun shelter themselves through an open top. Manure and mild fertilizer should be well back (2 feet) from the trunk Ricardo. The real deal with durios is zibethinus still and monthong,gaan yeow,luang,red prawn,D197,D190 and gumpun are soe of the biggest guns.Contrary to loose talk on propagating durians seedling of good types produce good fruit.

Mike,
Thank you very much for the information
Cheers
Ricardo

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:10:43 PM »
Mike do you know if durian seedlings are similar to their parent fruit?
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:40:41 PM »
Lindsay the common wisdom with zibethinus and loose talk in farming circles in recent decades, has indicated that seedlings produce fruit of lesser quality than their named mother. When actually tried and monitored in an Alan Marshall way it seems that this is not actually the case with seedlings producing fruit in the quality and characteristics range between the mother and father on most occasions.Seedling take a bit longer and some just don't want to start fruiting for 12 years but this is unusual. They are taller,tougher and able to wishstand storms better than than the grafted trees.Interestingly they live longer and overtake productivity of grafted trees pretty quickly.
Lindsay yes is the answer but it depends on the pollinator.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:04:35 AM »
I don't know much about growing durian but i see the local Thai around me planting them on raised beds 1 metre high.

Then they make a tent from shadenet above the tree's and leave that for a year or so.

I have a grafted durian from 130 cm and when i planted it in full sun the leaves started to get yellow so i covered it with a shadenet for some weeks. Then it could stand full sun and now it is in full sun all day.

I like to grow in full sun to get compact tree's.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 07:36:26 AM »
Anyone know how sensitive durio species are to root pruning?
I'm guessing they can handle extreme heat(35c to 40c?) if humidity is high but
can they handle brief periods of very low humidity or will that kill leaves?
Young rambutan seedlings anything below 70% seems to dry out all new growth for me:(
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »
I'm guessing they can handle extreme heat(35c to 40c?) if humidity is high but
can they handle brief periods of very low humidity or will that kill leaves?
Young rambutan seedlings anything below 70% seems to dry out all new growth for me:(

You are looking for Durian to grow in South Africa - got a big greenhouse?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »
I know I can't get it to fruit but really want it even if it's just a giant bonsai:)
I live on a smallholding that used to breed macaws there are about 23 large aviaries varying in size the largest is
10mx8m and the smallest 4mx2m average height varies but around 3m The floors are not concrete so I can also dig down or put the pots in a hole for more height. Most have bricks around the edges about 0.5m high and a semi walled off area in the back +- 1.5m deep. The largest cages have misting pipes and very old infrared lights set up to keep the tropical birds warm in winter dunno if this heat source is ok for plants though I haven't needed them yet. I cover in sheet plastic that lasts about a season usually but I'm only using 2 cages at the moment polycarbonate on the outside and plastic inside has been what I use and remove in summer but I could do something more permanent.
I was asking about the root pruning maybe can keep it at under 3m? The frames are also robust enough to go up maybe a metre or more if it's sloping as the backs are solid brick walls. I would probably keep the plant in my indoor growtent for awhile at least.
Haven't bought any seeds yet just preliminary investigations:)
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »

Speaking completely in general for trees root pruning can be tolerated by young healthy seedling (1 year old) if feeder root aren't disturbed, but much depends of conformation of roots. Plants with big taproot may not like it very much, at least on the long run, because root pruning may induce permanent mutation on root development. A problem that may arise because of it, may be a reduced wind tolerance, but if wind isn't an issue for you, usually plant recover reasonably well from an early root pruning (it is a standard practice in nurseries that produce plants for reforestation). I'm assuming that root pruning a zibethinus must be particularly problematic because its intolerance to water stress.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »

Speaking completely in general for trees root pruning can be tolerated by young healthy seedling (1 year old) if feeder root aren't disturbed, but much depends of conformation of roots. Plants with big taproot may not like it very much, at least on the long run, because root pruning may induce permanent mutation on root development. A problem that may arise because of it, may be a reduced wind tolerance, but if wind isn't an issue for you, usually plant recover reasonably well from an early root pruning (it is a standard practice in nurseries that produce plants for reforestation). I'm assuming that root pruning a zibethinus must be particularly problematic because its intolerance to water stress.
Thanks!
I guess I will just have to try it and see, whether it survives or not still a fun experience.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 06:56:05 PM »
Durians also fruit in Buriram Thailand, that's on the countryside where it can be extreme hot and dry in the summer. I don't know the humidity but it can be near 40 celcius and i 'm glad BKK is not that hot. They have to be watered though.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 09:14:01 PM »
Half the year is over 35c at Lambells's Lagoon in the Northern Territory and it hovers around 40c for much of spring and summer and it is the main durian growing area in the top end.Lot of durian areas here get above 40c for days at at a time.It is all about humidity.The areas here that routinely get above 45c also have dry heat and this is bad news for durians.43c with humidity at saturation level or with an afternoon storm is chicken feed for durians.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk