Author Topic: Baccaurea  (Read 2998 times)

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
Baccaurea
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »
What Baccaurea species that has the best taste fruit ? in your personal opinion
Thanks

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Baccaurea
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 07:56:35 PM »
Ricardo there is much variety in many species especially burmese grapes so you can only do a general order.In my opinion good rambai is just ahead of the best burmese grapes (such as some big pale purple flushed Thai mafai and Malaysian yellow egg shaped) and white fleshed tampoi.Yellow fleshed tampoi is on par with white fleshed tampoi and angulata comes close as well.Everything else including racemosa is not as good.

Ali

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Yellow fleshed Tampoi we call it Tampoi Silau (Not sure its species name) is the tastiest (In my country) in my opinion but rarely found   :)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:29:51 PM by Ali »

Kapiak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 08:24:18 PM »
We found two Baccaurea species in Western Province last month, but none of them were ripe... I tried the unripe fruits but spat them out immediately, so astringent and acid!

One species green-skinned and the other one red-skinned.

No ripe seeds or seedlings so couldn't bring anything back to our garden :'(

The red one was said to be delicious and the green one a bit acid.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 11:27:56 PM »
Ricardo there is much variety in many species especially burmese grapes so you can only do a general order.In my opinion good rambai is just ahead of the best burmese grapes (such as some big pale purple flushed Thai mafai and Malaysian yellow egg shaped) and white fleshed tampoi.Yellow fleshed tampoi is on par with white fleshed tampoi and angulata comes close as well.Everything else including racemosa is not as good.

Mike,
Have you tried costulata?  Just wondering if it also falls into the "not as good" category or if you don't know.

John

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:20:59 AM »
Baccaurea polyneura (syn.Baccaurea hookeri)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 06:01:07 AM »
Really rambai,white and yellow tampois are probably best with angled tampoi and better burmese grape not far behind.Yellow tampois are sometimes mislabelled macrocarpa and the name burmese grapes seems to be randomly applied mis-applied to various species.The yellow fleshed tampoi posted bu Ali looks like an excellent specimen with a thin shell and probably thick flesh.John I have heard the name costulata but do nbot know it and also eaten a few in the genus that were ok but couldn't be sure of the spoecies at the time.I am presuming if other top quality species were around they might have come to prominance more.This is just from my experience.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 06:47:25 AM »
Really rambai,white and yellow tampois are probably best with angled tampoi and better burmese grape not far behind.Yellow tampois are sometimes mislabelled macrocarpa and the name burmese grapes seems to be randomly applied mis-applied to various species.The yellow fleshed tampoi posted bu Ali looks like an excellent specimen with a thin shell and probably thick flesh.John I have heard the name costulata but do nbot know it and also eaten a few in the genus that were ok but couldn't be sure of the spoecies at the time.I am presuming if other top quality species were around they might have come to prominance more.This is just from my experience.
Mike,

Thank you !

Costulata is Tampoi with red flesh, is smaller than the white and yellow

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 06:48:35 AM »
Baccaurea polyneura (syn.Baccaurea hookeri)

Thank you

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 06:49:27 AM »
We found two Baccaurea species in Western Province last month, but none of them were ripe... I tried the unripe fruits but spat them out immediately, so astringent and acid!

One species green-skinned and the other one red-skinned.

No ripe seeds or seedlings so couldn't bring anything back to our garden :'(

The red one was said to be delicious and the green one a bit acid.

Thank you

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 06:49:48 AM »
Yellow fleshed Tampoi we call it Tampoi Silau (Not sure its species name) is the tastiest (In my country) in my opinion but rarely found   :)

Thanks

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 06:50:20 AM »

Mike

Thank you