Author Topic: How do you rate your citrus/ other fruits?  (Read 1002 times)

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
How do you rate your citrus/ other fruits?
« on: March 15, 2019, 12:58:14 PM »
Since being new to citrus( about 9 years ), I am starting to develop a strong taste for mandarins. Fruits of all kinds that I grow are being tested by the amounts i like to eat daily, mandarins comes in first etc.
Lemons a distant 5 and limes ? I don’t grow them, no use for, not even Key/lime pie during my several stays in Key West. My neighbors and friends like my Meyers from my 2 trees, it does work well with fish dishes. I live on the lake and fish are easy to catch. I grow lots of figs, pluots, peaches,pears and a few others.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: How do you rate your citrus/ other fruits?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 08:49:04 PM »
Kumquats, grapefruit, pummelo, blood oranges, are all good fresh eating citrus if you ever tire of mandarins.  I’m getting rid of all of my excess lemons and limes this year, I agree you can only use so much.

I also have a fairly large temperate fruit orchard.  It’s hard to say what is the best, I could eat each type until I am sick.

And I’ve started growing no-maintenance berries and figs in the woods because why not

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: How do you rate your citrus/ other fruits?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 09:34:46 PM »
Of the trees that I have, I rate them in order:  Grapefruit, Valentine pummelo, Cara Cara navel, Dekopon,, New Zealand Lemonade, Ponkan all of which are in ground trees.  The rest (lemon varieties, mandarins, kumquats, )  fall into the OK class.