Author Topic: Honorary vexatorees, please stand up. Claim your Myrciaria vexator  (Read 4993 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
A while back I promised a few of you some honorary vexators! (blue grape, m. vexator)

Just post here to remind me, because I have a boat load of seeds that are sprouted up now, and almost ready to take their first plane trip. (ready to ship in about 30-60 days)

Don't try to sneak in!  All I have to do is type in your name into the search, along with vexator...and I should be able to see If I've promised you one!

I know the creators of the forum have been promised one each, and lycheeluva, ohiojay, jabomano and now I'm drawing a  :blank: :blank: :blank:

So please! Get excited about M. vexator on this thread and post your name please.

For the others that may want some, feel free to message me, but I don't want to sell them really...maybe trade (if u real lucky I may just give to you, but there must be a sign from the jabo Gods for me to give you one!)  I've seen the sign for these other guys.  I hope some divine reason pops up for me to give u one! :)

As for these trees...I love the taste, and look of tree.  This year I plan to show u guys what watering every day, heavy, can do for fruit quality and size.

Yes seed is big, and skin is resinous and inedible...but think of them almost as a mini jaboticaba-caimito (star apple).  The texture is similar, nice and gelatin/thick/sweet. The skin is similar, being purple, and thick/inedible...but when they get huge and juicy, they are amazing, and any jaboticaba lover will enjoy them when properly grown and eaten.

It's important not to just nip them with your teeth, like a jaboticaba, and suck out the pulp.  You must have a sharp knife, and cut the skin, avoiding extra resin from skin of fruit getting onto pulp.  After they are halved, they can be gently spooned out, or carefully licked out!  I don't mind the rind, so I suck the meat out, and suck all pulp off seed.  There isn't a really large edible portion inside of each fruit, but the tree makes so much, you'll easily get your fill.  It's kind of like eating clams or something...Its a bit of work, but when properly done, its amazing, and I bet it has a unique medicinal and nutritional value that other members of the same genus do not posses.

That's why it's worth the trouble to fruit so many different species, even within a genus.

Hope to get some good reviews about the fruit this year posted on this forum.  They should be in season again here soon...I'm guessing around late April at the earliest...but we need rain before they will do anything.

I'm pushing my two large seedling trees really hard, to fruit early.  They are close I know it.  And once they start, they make more fruit than you can eat!  So I will be sure to show you how production progresses, and how fruit size is...also we have two specimens, so any variations will be interesting to document as well.  I've noticed a good deal of variation within this species, and I know a selection could easily be made!

So its up to us! Grow these seeds I give to you (trade or whatever), and lets find out what we don't know, and care to ascertain. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:15:18 AM by Anikulapo »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Honorary vexatorees, please stand up. Claim your Myrciaria vexator
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:07:39 AM »
What do you think of the common name "Blue Grape"? Seems super confusing and a rather blah name to me. Need to come up with a better name for this fruit than that.
BTW, this is one of those rare myrtaceaes not native to Brazil. I think they come from Venezuela. Just looked it up in the book Frutales en Venezuela. That author, Hoyos, claims M. vexator is "superior in form and size to the jaboticaba"??
In any case, it's a good thing you do to spread these around.
Oscar
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 02:11:13 AM »
U read my mind about name Oscar!!!  Here is one I like.

Jabocaimto or caimitocaba

Blue jaboticaba is probably best though
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:48:33 AM »
standing tall and proud here.
will send you a private message. thanks so much!

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
Hi Anikulapo,

You are doing a great deed! Before you emerged on the scene, getting Myrciaria vexator seeds was virtually impossible.

Tomas

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
Adam,

Thanks so much for the offer! If you email me with your address I will gladly drop a few bucks in an envelope for shipment cost...

Patrick

patrick@brookstropicalnursery.com

phucvu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »
i don't know if i was promised one, but i did ask for one in that thread and is willing to pay for the shipping as long as it is reasonable.  ;)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 03:50:32 PM »
Tomas thanks!

I forgot about u...do you want some?  U have a backstage pass to my concert of plants for life...Hope u make it by when annonas are in season! I let u eatem up...or maybe save gas and I just throw some in a box for u.

Lycheeluva, no way I could forget u and your crazy grow room, with jabo fruits at tips of branches! When I realized you where in NY (after making a joke about u being in NY, at the time it was unbeknownst to me).  U really have showed me a sign that u need a vexator, and the biggest one I can send...stat!

As for moderators/creators...of course u get same treatment!  Thanks for offer to help with shipping, it will make it easier for me to distribute more of these...I will make sure to keep shipping costs very minimal...around 6-10 dollars at most.

As for others interested in Blue Jaboticaba, (Vexator), keep those messages coming! I like what I'm reading so far, I have about 5-10 extras that I'll give away...when I'm out of seedlings to spare, I will post here to let u know not to ask for seedlings, or at least not to expect one for a while, but it never hurts to ask!

Glad to see some interest in this neglected fruit tree.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »
Adam, I'm sure you promissed me some seeds... or was it a dream ;D

Of course I would reimburse you any cost, and always willing to share anything I can provide :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:36:32 AM by Felipe »

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 03:16:51 AM »
Hey Adam,

It's great to see that you are having such success with these. I would still love to get one of these. Let me know what the postage is so I can cover you.

Thanks Again

Jacob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 12:36:56 AM »
Noticed blooms coming again already on one of my larger size trees.  I hope they set some fruit now!  I'm sure they will...they set before, but it got cold when they did...and I need to water water water !!!!

I will make them get so big the split!!! >:( ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »
Wonderful offer. 
I have one, but it has yet to flower.  I had it labeled only as "Blue Grape", so I didn't realize you were talking about that until I saw it referred to by the common name!
I am glad it tastes good, I am hoping for flowers/fruits next year.
Got it from Sadhu (Govardhan Gardens), he describes  the taste as "somewhat like sweet grapes".  That description and the relatively small sized tree/bush sold me on it.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 09:24:44 PM »
Adam,
Thanks! Let me know how much shipping will be and I can paypal you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk