Author Topic: Fruit trees flowering! What are the best practices during this time?  (Read 1378 times)

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
I have two avocado trees and one mango tree that have a lot of flowers on them. This is the first year they are flowering and since I'm still a new grower I figured I would ask the experts what you all do during this time? It's still winter and most resources indicate that you should not put any fertilizer on the tree at this time. With that said, I still wonder if there is something I can do to help fruit set during this time and help the tree maintain good health. Some things I've though of:

1. Applying liquid seaweed (normally I would spray the leaves but i'm not sure if it would affect the flowers negatively)
2. Extra water? It's generally dry in the winter but with flowers present should I give the trees a little extra (maybe once per week)?
3. Spray with liquid copper as a preventative (then again, could this hurt the flowers?)
4. Do nothing and let nature take its course

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

Will

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit trees flowering! What are the best practices during this time?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:32:14 PM »
Are the trees ready to hold fruit? how long have they been in the ground? Best to upload some pictures. If the trees are small or newly planted it might be best to cull the fruit for a few seasons to help the tree to grow. Some people do , some don't but it takes alot of energy to make fruit and can cause the trees growth to be stunted.

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 08:54:57 PM »
Are the trees ready to hold fruit? how long have they been in the ground? Best to upload some pictures. If the trees are small or newly planted it might be best to cull the fruit for a few seasons to help the tree to grow. Some people do , some don't but it takes alot of energy to make fruit and can cause the trees growth to be stunted.

Hi @mangomongo. I'm also in Merritt Island. The first avocado and the mango are about 12' or more. The second avocado is at least 16', maybe more. I honestly don't plan on letting them get much taller as I was hoping to do more of a backyard orchard in which the fruit would be within easy range of picking. In general, what do you recommend once the tree flowers?

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 08:32:14 AM »
What verities are they?  Im not an expert, but i spray copper for anthracnose and a wettable sulpher powder for powdery mildew, don't use sulpher on Lemone zest mango tree's. It will cause the leaves to fall off. 

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 09:37:13 AM »
What verities are they?  Im not an expert, but i spray copper for anthracnose and a wettable sulpher powder for powdery mildew, don't use sulpher on Lemone zest mango tree's. It will cause the leaves to fall off.

Mango: Keitt
Avocado's: Brogdon, Joey

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 07:06:23 PM »
My neighbor has an old Kiett tree that holds fruit until November sometimes. It had a bountiful crop last year and looks like it is taking this year off or getting a really slow start.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 07:15:29 AM »
Water the avocado for sure, during flowering and until fruit develops. This recommendation is for Australia so the season doesn't match Florida:

"It is recommended that you try and avoid subjecting the tree to moisture stress at any time, but there are two particular periods when avoiding moisture stress is critical. The first stage is from the onset of flowering until after the initial fruit drop. The second period coincides with the stage of rapid fruit growth, a period when many growers experience what is called ‘summer fruit shed’, this usually occurs from mid January to the end of March."
https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/spring/growing-avocados-irrigation-principles?page=0%2C2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk