Author Topic: Gone : Free Vermillion Suriname Cherry 3 ft  (Read 1775 times)

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Gone : Free Vermillion Suriname Cherry 3 ft
« on: March 13, 2020, 06:09:03 PM »
I have a healthy 3 ft Vermillion Surinam Cherry in a 5 gallon pot. I grow it from seed about 3 years ago. The mother tree produces very sweet, thick flesh fruits (from a very reputable nursery ). Originally i have 4 seedlings, all start to have some blooms this year. I put 3 in ground and want to give away the last one to anyone who will take care of it. Pick up only since I have zero experience in shipping live plant.
91352 area. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:52:27 PM by palingkecil »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Free Vermillion Suriname Cherry 3 ft
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 06:13:58 PM »
Vermillion is the only variety I have tried (I am told there are others as well) without an overpowering resinous quality.

Do not fear plant adopters, it should be good.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 06:33:29 PM »
Vermillion is the only variety I have tried (I am told there are others as well) without an overpowering resinous quality.

Do not fear plant adopters, it should be good.

When I purchased the mother tree, the nursery owner let me try 2 varieties, Lolita and Vermillion. He has huge trees of both. Lolita looks really pretty and exsotic with its deep blood burgundy red fruits, when Vermillion's fruits are just yelloiwish red. But taste wise, Vermillion is really superior. Lolita has a bland mild sweet taste without any aroma, and the Vermillion has sweet mild tart complex flavor with unexplainable aroma. I heard that Surinam cherry grows true to its seed, so I planted the seeds.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 07:00:34 PM »
I wish I'd known! I was in LA two days ago.

I'm in Santa Barbara, if you know of anyone coming up this way. Pitanga is my favorite.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 07:03:33 PM »
I have a cherry tree at home, it blooms a lot of flowers every year, but never bear Fruit.  I can pick it up from your location if the bearing fruit issue is resolved.  Is there anything I did wrong to cause it?

Thanks,
Alex
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:07:19 PM by pinkturtle »

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 07:47:31 PM »
I wish I'd known! I was in LA two days ago.

I'm in Santa Barbara, if you know of anyone coming up this way. Pitanga is my favorite.
If nobody take it, I can keep it until you come to LA again. I just want the tree to have an opportunity to grow big somewhere, since I am running out of space to put it in ground.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
I have a cherry tree at home, it blooms a lot of flowers every year, but never bear Fruit.  I can pick it up from your location if the bearing fruit issue is resolved.  Is there anything I did wrong to cause it?

Thanks,
Alex

Hi Alex, what kind of cherry tree do you have? Is it Bing, Rainier, or other non tropical variety? If so, they are picky and hard to predict. Even if you do everything right, the non tropical cherry tree is still can be fruitless here in Southern California.
My tree is tropical cherry, self fruitful, but it taste nothing like the cherry you buy at the store.
It might acquire taste, but me (i grew up eating tropucal fruit in asia), and my 'very American' family love the taste.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 08:49:18 PM »
Hey if the tree is still available I would like to grow it. I live next to LAX and we have a dwarf Rainier that fruited for the first time this year. I also grow Barbados Cherries and have a seedling Suriname black cherry.
Joe

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »

Thanks,
Alex

Hi Alex, what kind of cherry tree do you have? Is it Bing, Rainier, or other non tropical variety? If so, they are picky and hard to predict. Even if you do everything right, the non tropical cherry tree is still can be fruitless here in Southern California.
My tree is tropical cherry, self fruitful, but it taste nothing like the cherry you buy at the store.
It might acquire taste, but me (i grew up eating tropucal fruit in asia), and my 'very American' family love the taste.

I don't know what varieties I have, I bought it from home Depot. 
Thanks,
Al

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »

Thanks,
Alex

I don't know what varieties I have, I bought it from home Depot. 
Thanks,
Al

Usually Home Depot carries Bing or Rainier. If I am not mistaken Bing needs a pollinator. Rainier is a bit easier to fruit than Bing. Another variety Home Depot has is Minie Royal, i don't have much knowledge about this one.
You could wait another year to see if it will bear fruit, if not, you might need to get another one for cross pollination.
But it is not compatible with any tropical cherry.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 10:21:30 PM »
Hey if the tree is still available I would like to grow it. I live next to LAX and we have a dwarf Rainier that fruited for the first time this year. I also grow Barbados Cherries and have a seedling Suriname black cherry.
Joe
[/quote

It is still available, PM me for address if you can pick it up
This weekend.
If anyone interested, I will have fresh seeds this summer if any of the flower stays after 2 days of heavy rain here.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 10:46:40 PM »
Sent PM

gardenfreak

• South Central PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 09:35:26 AM »
I got my "american" cherry trees from Lowes. Last year they had Bing, Stella and Rainier. This year I saw by HD that they carry the 4 and 5 varieties on 1 tree deal. Not cheap, but I don't think you can go wrong with that. Was looking at getting one. My Stella (also my dog's name) gave a couple of fruits last year but the birds got them. I was told full sun. Mine were under a massive pine tree still in a container. I also purchased from a local nursery 2 "White Gold" plants,  but they did not make it. One of them send out sprouts from the root stock so I re-potted those for later use. At least I did not loose all of my money.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk