Author Topic: Muang Mai Market: The Best Fruit Spot In The World? Our paradise?  (Read 4599 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Muang Mai Market: The Best Fruit Spot In The World? Our paradise?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »
It is a good market alright perhaps the best for fruit in all of Chang Mai including the night Market. Markets in many parts of Thailand are larger with a bigger diversity of fruit. Much of the produce is subtropical and there are lots of vegies.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
I rate thai markets by my own rating-system.

These are the important things to me.

Wide walkingpaths
No low roofs or parasols with steel pins sticking out at the height of my eyeballs.
Easy parking
Easy reachable
Big diversity
Not too hot
They have to show the prices  or i don't buy at all

There are markets in every neighbourhood of every village or city in Thailand. There is always loads of food and fruit for sale.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »

Wide walkingpaths
No low roofs or parasols with steel pins sticking out at the height of my eyeballs.
Easy parking
Easy reachable
Big diversity
Not too hot

There are markets in every neighbourhood of every village or city in Thailand. There is always loads of food and fruit for sale.

bangkok, with those criteria, I'm really surprise you're still living in Bangkok. Or SE Asia... :)

Thera

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:53:22 PM »
Awesome Videos!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 01:19:52 AM »
All of Thailand is really the "best fruit market" in the world. The Thais are very good at growing tropical fruits, and really great at distributing them well throughout the country. Also cart vendors are allowed to set up anywhere and you can buy fruit practically on any street in Bangkok. Last time i was in Bangkok a cart vendor selling primo durians rolled up to my table just as i was heaving breakfast. And this was in December, which is way off season!  ;D That said i wouldn't say that any market in Chiang Mai is going to be the cheapest or the freshest place to get the ultra tropical fruit, like durian, mangosteen, longkong, etc. Remember that Chiang Mai is way up in the northern part of the country where it gets much cooler than rest of country. Those durians have been transported to Chiang Mai from many hundreds of miles to the south. So they are going to be a lot more expensive and less fresh. Ditto for the other ultra tropicals. If  you want these fruits really fresh and cheap you need to go where they are grown. Chiang Mai is really good for a few fruits that can take cooler weather, like longans and lychees. But my favorite markets in Thailand are in Rayong and adjoining area of Chantaburri. That area is considered the "fruit basket" of Thailand, and for very good reasons. Anyway, any part of Thailand that you visit you will be very pleasantly surprised when it comes to tropical fruits.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 03:10:13 PM »

Wide walkingpaths
Easy parking
Easy reachable
Big diversity
Not too hot

bangkok, with those criteria, I'm really surprise you're still living in Bangkok. Or SE Asia... :)

I don't have to go to crappy markets, i can go where i want. We have huge supermarkets, good markets, crappy markets and many more markets.
In BKK it is a big mess on the streets but some city's in 'Thailand don't accept that so they have normal clean pavements. Actually i would like to know what happens if a tourist loses an eyeball on a market where the hight of the umbrella's is 5 feet (150cm) high.  It will happen soon and sure allready has happened before.
On local markets the vendors like to make very small alleys so people have to walk slow. I hate that because my weight is double that of a Thai (90kg) and i am long and wide and don't fit in narrow alleys.

Also in our compound we have a fruitshop and the fruits are grown nextdoor. They even have a mahachanok mangotree there.

Or tor kor market is officially the best fruitmarket of Thailand or even Asia. The only bad thing there is the temperature which is really hot.

Most fruit that we eat is given to us. We don't buy much on the markets. All people who grow fruits share it with their friends/neighbours.

On the countryside you have to be carefull for fruit-trucks. They (over)load the trucks sooo high with fruit that sometimes a coconut or pineapple falls of the truck. One day my wife got a coconut on the hood and another day a bag of charcoal which blew of a truck.

Super-Overloaded Pickup Truck in Thailand

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »
Almost all the trucks in Thailand have PhDs: they are Piled Higher and Deeper! If you look at the suspension systems of those little Japanese trucks they have been altered to carry much heavier weights, with extra springs and heavy duty shocks. So a 1/2 ton pick up truck is carrying 3 tons instead! They also have excellent extra tall and strong metal racks that i wish i could get here! Really troubling part is that i doubt the brakes have been improved at all. If one of those trucks has to make an emergency stop they will run right over you.
Oscar

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »
We have lots of trucks like that here in San Diego, but they are usually carrying mattresses to Tijuana instead of fruit.

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 12:33:05 AM »
PltdWorld,

That is funny.  I actually laughed at reading your comment.  I have seen those trucks around my part of the world as well.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 02:20:13 AM »
Truck loaded to the hilt with mattresses will be a whole lot lighter than what you see in Thailand: loaded to the brim with durians!
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
In Thailand they also use them to transport people for short distances. Also then they overload them to the max, the last persons hang on the back of the frame and at every stop they have to jump of and let other people out of the truck.

I have seen several times that the back of those taxi-buses was broken of. They make those racks local out of stainless stell. If you find a good welder on Hawaii then he should be able to make it for you Oscar. I let them make my carport out of stainless.

Maybe they build extra springs in those trucks ( i never checked for that) but then you also need other tyres, other brakes, other axles, wheel bearrings and so on. I bet not all of them do that, some just go for good luck and see what will happen.

In BKK i see the police make roadblocks every day and all vehicles are stopped there and checked for bad load or overload or illegal workers.

It is funny to see how they deliver a huge tree from a nursery. They just lift it on the truck with a crane,  hanging over to all sides and they just drive to their customer like the road belongs to them alone.

It surprises me that they  can load like this in the USA. I have never seen that on any tv program. In (West) Europe you will never ever see something like that on the highway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk