Author Topic: Has anyone seen where the off topic section went?  (Read 6507 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Has anyone seen where the off topic section went?
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:07:16 PM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else remember that there used to be an off topic section? All in the sudden, it vanished. Poof... :-)
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone seen where the off topic section went?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »
It went bye bye...
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »
It's not gone, it's just been moved to a new address..here is the new link to the off topic section

https://miami.craigslist.org/search/pol

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 10:27:16 PM »
Did I miss the announcement that it was going to get deleted :-).

Who needs craigslist for discussing politics. That's what they made facebook for.

Bet one could make some dough by setting up a forum dedicated to politics and peppering the site with paid advertisements. Maybe that's what sheehan is planning.
Jeff  :-)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 10:53:11 PM »
Did I miss the announcement that it was going to get deleted :-).

Who needs craigslist for discussing politics. That's what they made facebook for.

Bet one could make some dough by setting up a forum dedicated to politics and peppering the site with paid advertisements. Maybe that's what sheehan is planning.

What is Facebook?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 11:59:26 PM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else remember that there used to be an off topic section? All in the sudden, it vanished. Poof... :-)

The off topic section was just going nowhere so I removed it. It was created as a way to keep unrelated topics out of the main discussion but that turned into a bunch of members personally insulting each other and then brining those insults into the main discussion as well.

Anyone posting off topic type of posts in the main discussion will be warned, and then banned.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:49:41 AM »

The off topic section was just going nowhere so I removed it. It was created as a way to keep unrelated topics out of the main discussion but that turned into a bunch of members personally insulting each other and then brining those insults into the main discussion as well.

Anyone posting off topic type of posts in the main discussion will be warned, and then banned.

Good call.  ;) I'll confess to how emotionally aggressive and testy I can get regarding politics and  cults.  There are plenty of venues on the internet to discuss politics, religion, and other controversial topics.  Politics and folks' off topic opinions don't belong in a gardening forum. 

I would like to see a "LIKE" button.  It would shorten many of the threads that have tons of scripted high fives.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:52:53 AM by Mark in Texas »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 09:31:39 AM »

Good call.  ;) I'll confess to how emotionally aggressive and testy I can get regarding politics and  cults.  There are plenty of venues on the internet to discuss politics, religion, and other controversial topics.  Politics and folks' off topic opinions don't belong in a gardening forum. 

I would like to see a "LIKE" button.  It would shorten many of the threads that have tons of scripted high fives.

Nice tree..oh wait, I mean yes, +10000000000
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »

My take is that you, Murrhaline, had no problem with the off topic section for a few years but then some silly new friends of yours criticized the guy type of  joking and jousting that went on there. You felt embarrassed by this so first you diminished off topic and now got rid of it entirely. Maybe you feel it hurts your legal career...... I hear you are  a lawyer. I could be wrong.

So much for free speech and fun discussing politics and other off topics

My take at least.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:56:23 PM by zands »

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »

Thank you!
Michael

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 09:49:58 PM »

My take is that you, Murrhaline, had no problem with the off topic section for a few years but then some silly new friends of yours criticized the guy type of  joking and jousting that went on there. You felt embarrassed by this so first you diminished off topic and now got rid of it entirely. Maybe you feel it hurts your legal career...... I hear you are  a lawyer. I could be wrong.

So much for free speech and fun discussing politics and other off topics

My take at least.

Lol. I would not have expected any less of an analysis from you Zands.

There were no "silly friends" of mine pulling puppet strings in the background. It all came down to the constant reported posts from off topic. Quite often, the same people posting were reporting each other constantly. It got annoying because Patrick, Tim and I do not have the time to moderate like we did when the forum was now started. We added more mods to off topic but that did not stop the reports. Removing off topic stopped the reported posts though.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 09:51:29 PM »

A like button sounds like a good idea.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 12:30:46 AM »

There were no "silly friends" of mine pulling puppet strings in the background. It all came down to the constant reported posts from off topic. Quite often, the same people posting were reporting each other constantly. It got annoying because Patrick, Tim and I do not have the time to moderate like we did when the forum was now started. We added more mods to off topic but that did not stop the reports. Removing off topic stopped the reported posts though.

Being too busy was yr previous excuse a few months ago. That you were too busy to moderate rambunctious "guy type" commentary. Such a thin skin for a lawyer! Who was reporting posts? I never did and never cared. All I saw was some fun spirited commentary. I got some laughs too.
You take the argumentation that goes on, on the internet far too seriously. And more specifically this tropical fruit forum.

But now that off topic is mostly dead you get rid of it altogether. So which one is it? Too busy to moderate? Or what's the excuse now?  This entire forum is dead and is one tenth of what it used to be. You got what you wanted.

I still go by what I posted. That you were personally embarrassed by the old off topic section. Except for when you posted your lame reggae videos.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:36:26 AM by zands »

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 02:48:53 AM »

Being too busy was yr previous excuse a few months ago. That you were too busy to moderate rambunctious "guy type" commentary. Such a thin skin for a lawyer! Who was reporting posts? I never did and never cared. All I saw was some fun spirited commentary. I got some laughs too.
You take the argumentation that goes on, on the internet far too seriously. And more specifically this tropical fruit forum.

But now that off topic is mostly dead you get rid of it altogether. So which one is it? Too busy to moderate? Or what's the excuse now?  This entire forum is dead and is one tenth of what it used to be. You got what you wanted.

I still go by what I posted. That you were personally embarrassed by the old off topic section. Except for when you posted your lame reggae videos.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
""guy type" commentary"? ???  ???  ??? are you interested in a fruit forum or a teenage locker room?
I say good riddance to off topic. Lets rather just celebrate our common love of fruit:) There are too many places and reasons to hate on eachother in this world already.

MY 2 cents a like button or an upvote would be awesome!
So many times i absentmindedly look for the "like" button on some of the awesome posts :):)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 02:54:17 AM »
So sad that intelligent people can not discuss topics without personal attacks or other inappropriate notes that led the forum owner to this conclusion.  We all love fruit and fruit-growing here, so it is unfortunate that the forum owner could find no better solution than to censor speech.

I, myself, have refrained during the past several months, due to censorship, posting  thought-provoking charts and images on contemporary matters affecting us all.  Perhaps its the best for a forum that can't keep up with the reality of our times.

The need for open discussion remains.  I know some forum will open up to fill the void.  I look forward to participating with off-topic forum participants, even those I disagree with on so many topics.

You friend,

John Caldeira
Rakiraki, Fiji

Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

starling2

• Straya
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 03:17:53 AM »

A like button sounds like a good idea.

It was the right call. I regret a lot of my behavior in OT, and I've no doubt others do also. It had really turned into a bulletin board of hate by the end. Subjects were no longer discussed but really only served as modicums through which people could fling shit at one another. It was a toxic cycle. The forum is better off without it.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 03:38:19 AM »
Some topics like climate warming brought out the worst in people and gun controls made people irrational.Religion and politics also lead to disagreement.It is a pity that  matters relevant to growing plants but far enough removed to be more suited to off topic resulted in finger pointing and hair pulling.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 04:33:25 AM »
The forum had a like button when it started. Then the moderators removed the like button.
The forum had lots of posts in OT section. Then the moderators restricted the types of topics that could be posted on. Anything controversial was removed and for all intent and purposes the OT section died even before its current total removal. It's true that a lot of posts in OT were inflamatory and even childish, but i find many of the actions of the moderators also somewhat childish, as in using the excuse of too many reports to remove an OT section that is almost dead. Who would make a report about a dead section? I think in fact the OT just proved an embarassment for everyone, posters and moderators alike. Hopefully the forum can learn from this and improve. So far the number of posts seems to me have gone way down. I think the actions of the moderators obviously alienated some members.
Oscar

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 07:38:21 AM »
Just happened what I predicted. Forum activity goes down since the offtopic fell under strict censorship, because plants grow slowly   ;) and something new happens only occasionally. The main task of offtopic forum is to keep members active during that idle time.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »
People, let it go.  Those justifying why it was good are the reason its gone.  As has been stated, if you want to talk the political,  religious,  contraversial rhetoric and be argumentative and accusatory while doing it, there are plenty of other blogs to join and post in to "fill your time." 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:11:12 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 10:02:50 AM »
There are indeed millions of forums for talking about religion, politics, and such.

On my occasional explorations of this forum's off-topic section I couldn't help noticing that many opinions differed from mine, and hence were wrong.
It didn't make me angry, just sad for the human condition.  :'(

If there has been a general drop off in postings, I would attribute it to the lull being eating mangos and worrying about mango blooms -- a normal phenomenon in the Western hemisphere.  (Or the Northern hemisphere?)   ::)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 12:27:19 PM »
The number of posts always drop this time of the year and pick back up in a few months. It's been the same way for the past 4 years. Nothing new.

Thank you for the members who understand the decision to remove off topic. The one who don't understand are usually part of the problem in off topic.