Author Topic: Today’s hunt for Pond Apple rootstock  (Read 1573 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Today’s hunt for Pond Apple rootstock
« on: July 20, 2019, 05:46:16 PM »
Planning on grafting up a bunch of annona’s in the future so decided to find some Pond Apple material for rootstock.

1st stop Jensen Beach, Haney Creek Park:

There are lots of mature trees here with fruit on them, and overall pretty scenery. Picked a few fruits to see about harvesting the seeds.

Next went to this pond in palm city, Mapp rd and 29th street where I was able to dig up a sapling and about 50+ smaller baby seedlings that I found in mud under larger trees.

Hope this helps anyone looking for rootstock in Martin county area.

-Joep450

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Today’s hunt for Pond Apple rootstock
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 08:19:55 PM »
 >:(

That location didn't help.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »
Planning on grafting up a bunch of annona’s in the future so decided to find some Pond Apple material for rootstock.

1st stop Jensen Beach, Haney Creek Park:

There are lots of mature trees here with fruit on them, and overall pretty scenery. Picked a few fruits to see about harvesting the seeds.

Next went to this pond in palm city, Mapp rd and 29th street where I was able to dig up a sapling and about 50+ smaller baby seedlings that I found in mud under larger trees.

Hope this helps anyone looking for rootstock in Martin county area.

-Joep450

While I appreciate the quest, feel like we shouldn’t be advocating digging up plants from public lands nor private properties without permission...

Grabbing the fruits for seeds seems more reasonable, though I’m sure there are laws discouraging that as well.

birngerd

• Central Florida, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 06:44:21 AM »
You might have better luck trying to contact forum members in Florida to locate the Annona glabra variety "North", which is less likely to have compatibility issues than seedlings removed from the wild

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 10:34:20 AM »
Try cuttings

Have what looks like pond apple growing up from root stock of lllama

Cut it off and stuck in ground and it rooted easily without any other care cause I thought there was no chance

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 02:09:15 AM »
Let’s not encourage poaching in natural areas. Well said and some alternate options are offered.

You might have better luck trying to contact forum members in Florida to locate the Annona glabra variety "North", which is less likely to have compatibility issues than seedlings removed from the wild

-Joep450

While I appreciate the quest, feel like we shouldn’t be advocating digging up plants from public lands nor private properties without permission...

Grabbing the fruits for seeds seems more reasonable, though I’m sure there are laws discouraging that as well.
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 04:39:11 PM »
The east side of Lake Osborne in Lake Worth, between Lake Worth Rd and 6th Ave South is loaded with pond apple trees.  You just have to beat the iguanas to the fruit.   :o