Author Topic: What new Fruiting Plant did you buy recently and why ????  (Read 3323 times)

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
What new Fruiting Plant did you buy recently and why ????
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:51:55 PM »
I'll start

Recently i bought  a 3gal PSM  mango  and a 3gal Manlita

PSM - because the taste in the last 2 years i have eaten is something i really enjoy getting fruit from Truly tropical  and Fruit and spice park . Luv it

Manilita -  the obvious - tiny size of tree and fruit , (running out of space  to plant more trees )besides being on the Curator's choice list in the past and seeing the awesome production of a members' tree  (see Sunworshipper Manilita Mango post and pics) figuring this cultivar should do well because its parent (Manila) does well here and in California. Have not tasted this one as yet . I have tasted the Manila and i like it .

Next on the list is to replace my Coconut cream  tree which  burned up  or die back from heat under ( double shade cloth) 15 gal planted last October.

I don't think CC likes our intense heat i may go with Kent , Keitt or Lemon zest or NDM#4

What's your story Mory ?????

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: What new Fruiting Plant did you buy recently and why ????
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 05:32:12 PM »
well mr manic...I've not bought a tree for a couple years now, but you are right about the CocoCream - seems real sensitive to the heat...maybe I should move mine to a new location...it's got some pretty crispy leaves.

Of the 4 trees you mention at the end, I would just experientially guess from the limited desert observation from here, that the Lemon ZEST handles the heat the BEST, maybe the NDM the next best, and the Kent and Keitt  would bring up the rear.....

That's my guess, Jess.....

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:29:36 PM »
Well my latest tree i bought was some cherry of rio Grande seedlings and a pitomba, bought them to add to my ever growing collection. Cherry of rio Grande i had done a bit of studying but pitomba was a spur of the moment buy. Recently though i have acquired some uniflora, cedarbay cherry, araca boi and a yellow strawberry guava. Always exciting getting new plants and with only a small collection so far there are plenty more new plants to come.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:41:04 PM »
well mr manic...I've not bought a tree for a couple years now, but you are right about the CocoCream - seems real sensitive to the heat...maybe I should move mine to a new location...it's got some pretty crispy leaves.

Of the 4 trees you mention at the end, I would just experientially guess from the limited desert observation from here, that the Lemon ZEST handles the heat the BEST, maybe the NDM the next best, and the Kent and Keitt  would bring up the rear.....

That's my guess, Jess.....

My Coco Cream has put out several flushes and is thriving through these 100 degree days here in the Valley....of course its no equivlent to the desert extremes....what are you guys pushing 112 degree highs?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
I just put a Mallika mango in the ground 8/16. The ones I purchased from Bender's were addictive and can almost be considered a late mango. Waiting for some of King Harry's "Palmer" mango to ripen to see if I need one.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:15:51 PM »
In a normal season, Mallika's main harvest month is July.  It could straggle into early August but that is about it. I would not consider it a late season variety.
- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 12:52:00 AM »
May be lack of humidity in the hot +100 days for CC, it probably zaps the leaf flushes.

Anyways, I always seem to find an excuse to get a new plant. In the last 3 months I got the following; Philippine pointed canistel (seemed like a very nice fruit I did not have yet). Sir Prize avocado (wanted to try it out in FL). About 6 Luc's Mexican Garcinia seedlings sprouted. 2 Eugenia pyriformis seedlings. Some Saba comorensis seedlings, a few Cionosicyos macranthus vines and 2 coconut palms.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 07:44:32 AM »
A second hana fuyu persimmon tree.  Because I had 39 fruit trees in my yard and wanted to finish my collection with 40. 
Brad

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »
I bought pedalai and pingan seeds and they sprouted well.

Why? Because i can and i want to grow all the best ultra tropical fruits now i got the chance.

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 11:28:41 AM »
I just planted a yellow jaboticaba I got from TT.. it looks pretty good and hopefully it can grow much larger this year..  ;D

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »
Another Kari carmbola from Home Depot was 15 gallon and the right price
Custard Apple---  San Pablo from Lara Farms. Bought at Bender Groves
Lara carmbola bought at Benders Grove. Must be a Lara Farms variety and most likely from there
Day variety Avocado bought at Benders grove
Various guava
Various muscadine grapes such as Southern Home which is a muscadine x vinifera cross with uniquely pretty Oak shaped leaves ...also..... Alachua and Delicious varieties of muscadine......
Ison variety is the best one so far. All mentioned are dark purple kind. Not the bronze kind of muscadine which I also have planted in ground and can be very sweet despite the color

Many of the above are in pots. Waiting for me to find a place in the ground for them

History
Southern Home grapes in hand'Southern Home' was introduced in 1994 by J. Mortenson, J. Harris, D. Hopkins, and P. Anderson of the University of Florida. 'Southern Home' was selected from the cross 'Summit' x P9-15. 'Southern Home' is special among muscadine cultivars because the P9-15 parent is a complex hybrid between V. rotundifolia, V. popenoei, V. munsoniana, and V. vinifera. The first three species are all from the muscadinia subgenus, and V. vinifera is the standard wine bunch grape species. You can tell the hybrid nature of this cultivar by the cut leaf (Oak leaf looking) pattern of the leaves.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:09:06 PM by zands »