Author Topic: Ant Control  (Read 1046 times)

fruitmentor

• Morgan Hill, California
    • View Profile
    • fruitmentor
Ant Control
« on: August 24, 2017, 03:28:29 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I recently published a couple of new articles and videos on ant control. Ant control is very important for reducing the spread of huanglongbing in the citrus growing areas of the United States and elsewhere.

I think I may have posted a first draft of the video here last year. I felt that I needed to learn more and early this year met with a Ph.D. entomology student at the University of California, Riverside who is working on ant baits. I learned so much about Argentine ants and how to kill them and have included what I learned in the ant bait video. I hope that you will find it helpful.

The first article is on controlling ants with ant baits:
Killing Ants with Liquid Ant Baits

The next article is on sticky barriers:
Ant Control with Sticky Barriers

I posted this in another thread, but I think it is worth repeating here. In the panhandle of Florida there is still the opportunity to slow the spread of HLB. Here is a recent article from the University of Florida:
A Tiny Wasp to Fight the Asian Citrus Psyllid

Best regards,
Dan Willey

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Control
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »
They recommend this trap now? This trap is less expensive for sure and looks as well-designed as the other one. The last time I heard from them, they recommended KM Ant Pro.

Both use the same Gourmet ant bait liquid sugar solution to attract Argentine ants. They were saying these ants don't like solid bait.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: Ant Control
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »
Ant control for fire ants is easy in Texas. Amdro the bait works very good. Too bad
there are so many fire ants that they keep coming back. Crazy ants are something else though, they won't
take bait and must be sprayed or drenched. Leaf cutter ants are around as well south of Houston.

I bait the fire ants when I see them in the lawn. I seldom see them on citrus trees.

No evidence of Argentine ants in my yard. Fire ants drive most others out.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:27:06 PM by mrtexas »