Author Topic: Future's Fifth Florida Fruit Feast! (Plus Reviews)  (Read 45091 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Future's Fifth Florida Fruit Feast! (Plus Reviews)
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2015, 09:57:33 AM »
Breakfast: Pickering, Harvest Moon

We are into the Pickerings now and they are great.  A sweet as promised and just delectable.  That. They look good on the outside is a bonus. 

This was my first Harvest Moon, said to be a seedling of Cushman.  Cushman is a big round mango that is quite distinct.  This Harvest Moon is even bigger, still round with yellow skin that hides yellow flesh inside.  I found mine to be sweet and floral/fruity.  The flesh is fairly firm and the fruit is a juice factory.  I very much enjoyed this fruit and ate half of one for breakfast.  That is a lot.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2015, 10:55:31 AM »
Oh and courtesy of Sleepdoc I had a green stage Khunsee this eve,  crunchy and sweet, th ringside was still yellow when I cut it.  I enjoyed this for the unique experience.  If there is another mango that can be eaten in such a wide range of ripeness ago good effect, I'd like to know what it is.

And we also ate our first Pickering today...left as long as I could and yes....they are sweet!
Supposedly NDM, and probably other Thai varieties can be eaten green and crunchy.

Correct, NDM,  Bram Kai Meu, Keow Savoey,  Pim Sane Mun, Falan, Mahachanok,  Kiew Yai (all Thai in origin) among many others of SE Asian origin are excellent eaten green.

Does excellent mean sweet?  I have had Keow Savoey which is sweet when green an unripe.  However, it is mediocre at best, some would say unremarkable when it is ripe.  Khun See is the only one I have had so far that is sweet and impressive at at all stages.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »

We are into the Pickerings now and they are great.  A sweet as promised and just delectable.  That. They look good on the outside is a bonus. 

This was my first Harvest Moon, said to be a seedling of Cushman.  Cushman is a big round mango that is quite distinct.  This Harvest Moon is even bigger, still round with yellow skin that hides yellow flesh inside.  I found mine to be sweet and floral/fruity.  The flesh is fairly firm and the fruit is a juice factory.  I very much enjoyed this fruit and ate half of one for breakfast.  That is a lot.

Parentage of Harvest Moon is Edward*.  From my records, Gary never did any experimenting with a Cushman seedling.

*Edit:  note i made a revision as to the parent of Harvest Moon after checking my paperwork (i guess my memory is failing).  The parent as shown in written records is Edward,  not Zill 80.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:16:14 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2015, 12:11:16 PM »

Parentage of Harvest Moon is Zill 80.  From my records, Gary never did any experimenting with a Cushman seedling.

Oh.  Now to recall who misinformed me....

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2015, 02:23:09 PM »
Lunch: Harvest Moon, Pickering

I finished the monster Harvest Moon for lunch.  This is an impressive mango, especially given its large size.  A light and fruity toned mango but not at all washed out.  Smooth inside, and very juicy.  I let this one go until is had a pretty large black spot on it. It no signs of significant spoilage on the inside.

Pickering was next and I smashed the whole thing.  A great mid sized mango with sweetness, juiciness and flavour.  What is not to enjoy about this mango?  The advice to let it go a bit before eating is spot on....

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2015, 06:42:25 PM »
Dinner part I: Maha Chanok

I am awaiting the pizza to arrive for our sit down family dinner so I got a jump with MC.  What a slice of heaven this mango is.  Ultra thin seed, very little fibre, a gorgeous pink and yellow outside and silken on the inside.  Delectable.

For dessert we may have the last of the orange sherbert.  Perhaps Seacrest.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2015, 07:42:50 PM »
Dinner Part II:

Pizza was late so I packed away the second last of the Pickerings.  It was just as good as the previous one.

Dessert was Orange Sherbert and it was the real deal.  I am seeing mor parallels now between OS and PPK, not so much LZ. OS is really a bigger version of PPK, less intense.  That is not to say OS isn't intense, for sure it is.  PPK is just sickly intense.  Both have the orange juice concentrate without the water added effect.  Awesome mangoes.

The finish line is in site as my mango box is thinning daily.  I did a few moments  this week of being mangoed out but I am gonna make it to the finish line...

Marlys, Cac, Son Pari, Autumn, Baptiste, are still to grace our palates with their presence for the first time ever...and Sigsiput, Alphonso and Mammou for the first time this year...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2015, 10:52:45 AM »
Breakfast: Honey Kiss, Autumn, Son Pari but not Marlys

I arrived after my workout to find Marly had been sliced, diced and eaten.  I heard (from neophytes) it was juicy.  It was the only one so that means...2016 for an assessment.

Autumn was a large mango, so black spots had formed with minor spoilage at the skin surface here and there.  This is a mango tasting mango.  It was mediocre at best for me.

Son Pari is medium large, yellow outside and orangey inside.  This mango has a good turpentine like flavour but is not as rich as a Bombay or other Indian mangoes.  I enjoyed it and certainly had a sharp contrast to Autumn.

Honey Kiss were small mangoes with pink and yellow outsides, orange insides.  True to the name this is a fairly sweet mango but it did not leave a strong impression on me.  Somewhat aromatic.

Later in the day we will likely hit the last of the sweet tart, lemon zest and perhaps the first of the Alphonso.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2015, 05:35:46 PM »
Post-lunch, pre dinner: Seacrest, Sweet Tart

Seacrest is one that halfway went to far.  The mid sized yellow fruit was blackening and soft on the top side but firm and in good sham on the bottom.  The inside was the same.  Good news: the bottom half was the Seacrest I remember - floral, fruity, juicy,  smooth, sweet.  Pure fun to eat.  The top side was inedible. 

The last of the Sweet Tarts graced my plate and to goor effect.  This is a world class mango hall of famer, no doubt.  Time will tell of its window of peak ripeness but for now, this is firmly in my top 3 mangoes, all time.

We still have our first Cac, Alphonso, Fairchild Emerald, Baptise to work with...stay tuned.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »
Dinner: Gary, Cac

Gary continues to please.  This is a tidy little tasty mango.

Cac: it has been two years since I had the pleasure of enjoying a Cac mango and my mid came flushing back with memories upon eating.  Cac is a mid to large mango, yellow outside and bright yellow inside.  Mine was in perfect condition.  Mildly aromatic the inside was juicy, sweet and smooth.  This is a floral flavored mango, with a divine depth, texture.  It is perfect all the way to the skin and consistent throughout.  Being my only one, I have to await another year to enjoy this one again.

Tommorow should see Alphonso, LZ, PC and Baptise. Not many left now.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2015, 09:51:11 PM »
I agree, Autumn was mediocre at best.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2015, 10:45:05 PM »
Stellar report Abayomi youve become a discriminating mango connoisseur 😀

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2015, 09:13:11 AM »
JF - I look fwd to bringing my apperciation for mangoes to the west coast.  😁

Breakfast: Piņa Colada, Lemon Zest

We are close to the end of this dream trip.  Not many mangoes left now.  I soon will transition to a....normal diet.  Alphonso is ready to go as is the first Sigsiput but my daughter wanted to have a final showdown between LZ and PC, battle for her #1 spot.

By the sounds emanating from her and the juice dripping I was sure LZ had taken the prize but alas, she said is was a tie.  She could not pick one.

On eating I could see why.  The PC was in perfect shape.  To be fair, LZ while in good form on th rout side was slightly off its best, the zinginess was not there.  Either way, both are among the best of the best mangoes.

Alphonso and Baptiste for lunch...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »
Lunch: Alphonso, Baptiste, Fruit Punch

Alphonso is the famed Indian cultivar that is also infamous for not tasting on US soils as well as it does in its homeland.  Mine was ripe on the bottom end and overripe on the top.  The overripe portion smelled very bad so much that it disrupted my eating of the bottom.  The mango tasted fine as far as I could tell but alas, I will have to wait for another day to fairly assess this crown jewel of Indian mangoes.

Baptiste is a good looking small to mid sized mango I bought from Truly Tropiccal.  Yellow on the outside, yellow orange on the inside.  It has a faint turpentine taste mixed with sweetness and is reasonably fragrant.  On its own, it would be a decent mango, fibre free and juicy.

The counter top is looking bare with 9 mangoes left....

Our latest Mango cake just popped out of the oven and we will sample that later today.  Will post pictures as well.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2015, 09:16:24 AM »
Dinner: Emerald (aka Fairchild Emerald)

Emerald appears to remain green when ripe.  This was my one and only fruit, eaten on its own for dinner and it did not offer any outstanding characteristics. Did not taste horrible, just tasted mild and slightly fruity.

Breakfast: Sig siput, Mammou

Sigsiput is the largest polyembryonic mango I have ever eaten.  I picked one up from Fairchild and it was a palate pleaser.  I forgot how good this mango is.  Thin seeded like most polys, combined with size leaves lots to eat.  Size doesn't matter in this case as the fruit is of very good texture, sweetness and flavour profile.  Is it a "Zill" - no.  But it is a very fine mango.

Mammou is a mango you will not see much information about on the web.  I spoke with Dr. Campbell a put its origins years ago and he said the areas he travelled people seem to be unfamiliar with it even though it is reportedly from Indo-China. Origin mystery aside, this is a great mango.  It can be eaten green or when turning ripe.  Today mine was in the ripe stage and the green outside hides a yellow inside that is smooth as silk.  Sweet simplicity greets you from there.  Another wafer thin seed makes flesh to seed ratio excellent.  These fruits can put on some good size also and I have a big one left to eat among the few mangoes I have left. 

Mango cake pictures coming soon....

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2015, 07:37:03 PM »
Lunch: Mammou

The last of the Mammou, a big one, graced the table for lunch.  It was simple and sweet, and reminded me of Nam doc Mai. A good sized, smooth and sweet mango that. Can be eaten at multiple stages.  I only have a few spaces for mango trees in my yard and this tree has one of them.

Dinner: Ivory

This is one of two Ivory fruit bought at Fairchild.  Similar in size shape and color to Mammou, this mango has potential to be sickly sweet if in prime condition.  It has been hit and miss for me over the years, sometimes world class, sometimes mid range.  This one was in good condition and toward the higher end of the range.  It is simple - nothing complex about it - but if sweetness if your game, Ivory is a good choice.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2015, 07:44:02 PM »

Emerald appears to remain green when ripe.  This was my one and only fruit, eaten on its own for dinner and it did not offer any outstanding characteristics. Did not taste horrible, just tasted mild and slightly fruity.

Sigsiput is the largest polyembryonic mango I have ever eaten.  I picked one up from Fairchild and it was a palate pleaser.  I forgot how good this mango is.  Thin seeded like most polys, combined with size leaves lots to eat.  Size doesn't matter in this case as the fruit is of very good texture, sweetness and flavour profile.  Is it a "Zill" - no.  But it is a very fine mango.

Mammou is a mango you will not see much information about on the web.  I spoke with Dr. Campbell a put its origins years ago and he said the areas he travelled people seem to be unfamiliar with it even though it is reportedly from Indo-China. Origin mystery aside, this is a great mango.  It can be eaten green or when turning ripe.  Today mine was in the ripe stage and the green outside hides a yellow inside that is smooth as silk.  Sweet simplicity greets you from there.  Another wafer thin seed makes flesh to seed ratio excellent.  These fruits can put on some good size also and I have a big one left to eat among the few mangoes I have left. 

Do you have a picture of the mammou?  the variety was planted at an old experimental station back in the 60s,  not even sure if the tree is still standing because  about a 3rd of them have been cut down over the years.  the tree might still be standing, but need to ID it. project was basically abandoned long ago.  they are being taken care of, but  I think they lost the original plot layout.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2015, 07:49:27 PM »

Do you have a picture of the mammou?  the variety was planted at an old experimental station back in the 60s,  not even sure if the tree is still standing because  about a 3rd of them have been cut down over the years.  the tree might still be standing, but need to ID it. project was basically abandoned long ago.  they are being taken care of, but  I think they lost the original plot layout.

I will post a picture.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »
Breakfast: Ivory

This is a great mango. 

Lunch: Nam Doc Mai ice cream

Seeing as we only have two Gary mangoes left, I broke out a frozen NDM this morning, dipped it in water and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.  The fruit lost all composure on the  outside and the flesh was sloppy but nonetheless quite tasty,  I imagine in the dead of winter this would be a welcome meal.  My daughter said it was like ice cream.  I have a LZ in the freezer and we will actually defrost and blend this one just for fun....

The world's first lemon zest ice cream?  Who knows....

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
Breakfast: Gary

Two Gary mangoes left.  That's it.  We had the first for breakfast and it was very good.  It had that slight chalkiness to it and, having been in my possession for nearly two weeks not, this may speak to being picked early.  To me, it improves the flavour profile when left to ripen. 

One more to go....

The frozen LZ is on the counter and our homemade LZ sherbert will be blended midday....

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2015, 05:39:46 PM »
I will be passing through Florida briefly this week so technically FFFFF is not over but alas, I am not expecting to find much in the range of mangoes at this time.  So, while I will post anything more of interest, I am going to rank this summer's top 10 for me:

10. Edgar - what is not to love about this mango?
9. Coconut Cream - inconsistent this year but the good ones were great
8. Maha Chanok - the connoisseur's choice
7. Seacrest - world class
6. Pineapple Pleasure - big package with big sweetness inside
5. Val Carrie - cola soda anyone?
4. Orange Sherbert - ridiculously good tasting mango
3. PPK - candy in disguise as a mango
2. Sweet Tart - insanely dense, sweet, flava
1. Lemon Zest - still the GOAT

Honourable mention: Piņa Colada, Gary, Taralay, K-3, Karen Michelle, Dupuis Saigon, Guava

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2015, 10:15:28 PM »
The party isn't over!

Arrived in Florida today just for two days and picked up some gems:
E-4
Cotton Candy,
Sweet Tart,
M-4 (said to have coconut flava),
Kesar,
Pettigrew
Mekon C,
Zilate,
cac
Ice Cream
Piņa Colada
Duncan
Venus
ZINC

Once again it's on!

Sleepdoc hosted the Bermuda crew today and we mashed up his Cheena.  Great fruit.....yes pictures are coming....

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2015, 07:51:10 AM »
Dessert: E-4

I arrived late last night after a day of driving and upon unpacking found one of the E4 mangoes got dinged in transit.  Still green on the outside this was past due on the inside.  While I could see its potential, was not able to fairly judge as this one had simply gone too far. even though it was not mushy soft outside, it was discolored inside.  Still edible but not a fair assessment.  I have a few more.

Breakfast: Cotton Candy

It isn't too often one can legitimately have Cotton Candy for breakfast.  And after eating this mango, I a left wondering if it should be allowed.  This thing is sweet.  Sickly sweet.  Perhaps some alternate names could have been Sucre.  Or The Amputator.  A good looking mango with subtle yellow pink outside, also decent mid sized fruit.  Inside is yellow and, again, mine had slightly gone past its prime.  But in this case, it didn't matter.  First impression were, aroma was positive.  Second thing, it struck me as being very similar in flavour profile go Coconut Cream - excellent.  The knock out punch though is the after taste.  It seemed the closer to th seed I got, the sweeter the mango got.  It is like a mix of Brahm Kai Mea and coconut cream. 

I imagine there are some who will not enjoy this mango for being just too sweet.  There are those who cannot imagine a mango that is too sweet.  If so, Cotton Candy may either change your mind or....bethemango of choice for you.

I rate it very highly, top tier.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »
Me thinks you have eaten too many mangoes and need a taste bud recalibration.  I have eaten a number of cotton candy and while the definite trait of Gary (one of its parents) is there, I have found zero resemblance in taste or texture to coconut cream or any coconut flavor whatsoever.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2015, 11:52:12 AM »
Me thinks you have eaten too many mangoes and need a taste bud recalibration.  I have eaten a number of cotton candy and while the definite trait of Gary (one of its parents) is there, I have found zero resemblance in taste or texture to coconut cream or any coconut flavor whatsoever.

That was my experience.  Note I did say it was slightly past due.