Author Topic: Passion fruit ID?  (Read 953 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Passion fruit ID?
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:41:16 PM »
Hey all,
My local international market had some yellow passion fruits. They aren't round like p. edulis flavicarpa, but the flesh is the same color. They weren't super sour like flavicarpa either. just a little tart. Possibly P. edulis "Monte Alegre" or P. alata?.
Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:53:47 PM by sildanani »
Anisha

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Passion fruit ID?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 01:42:45 AM »
It is just a flavicarpa of which there are dozens of yellow types.It is nothing like alata and certainly not a P.edulis edulis. They range from yellow to orange flesh unlike edulis which have yellow often pale yellow pulp.Flavicarpa also range and far sweeter than any edulis to decidedly sour. Australian flavicarpas have been selectively bred for sweetness for decades and are very popular. I have tried Hawaiian lilikoi  a few times and found it a puckering experience as they are not specifically selected for sweetness.
Look at some past flavicarpa threads.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Passion fruit ID?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 04:38:42 AM »
It is just a flavicarpa of which there are dozens of yellow types.It is nothing like alata and certainly not a P.edulis edulis. They range from yellow to orange flesh unlike edulis which have yellow often pale yellow pulp.Flavicarpa also range and far sweeter than any edulis to decidedly sour. Australian flavicarpas have been selectively bred for sweetness for decades and are very popular. I have tried Hawaiian lilikoi  a few times and found it a puckering experience as they are not specifically selected for sweetness.
Look at some past flavicarpa threads.
Thanks,
I ended up thinking it was a flavicarpa, after comparing the shapes. I'd never seen such a small yellow P. edulis with an angular shape. :o I was also surprised by how sweet the fruits were! Every flavicarpa I'd eaten before was almost* unbearably sour.
Anisha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk