Author Topic: Opinions on cutting a mang tree from the team.  (Read 5375 times)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Opinions on cutting a mang tree from the team.
« on: December 24, 2016, 09:06:42 PM »
 I knew this day would come but had no idea I would be considering it already. I have 21 trees not all of them in the ground yet, (need to open some sky up). Several of them I have not had the good fortune to try and bought them  based of the reviews and respected opinions of others, mostly reading through this forum. So I call upon thee Oh mango connoisseurs, aficionados, and snobs alike.  Please furnish your opinions as to who might get traded to another yard. I'll try to rank in my personal descending order and in ground (IG) or pot.

Coconut cream       #1 as of yet, 1 (IG) and 1- 15g pot
 Maha schanok          (IG) tried it really liked it.
Valencia pride           (IG) simple but one of my favs.
KDM                         (IG) like it a lot, wife loves it, but 3gl IG x1 year.
Cogshall                  (IG) 3gl, potted 15. I might swap the two. sell the small one.
Carrie                       (IG) great tree , wife doesn't care for it, I'm 50/50
Lemon Merengue       (IG) cant wait to try it but also have a LZ in a pot.
Glen                         (IG) pretty good, need to eat a lot more to be sure, wife really likes it.
Southern blush          (IG) seamed like a watered down coconut cream to me?
Juliette                     (IG) cant wait to try one.
Mystery mango         (IG) might be a new variety for the U.S., I'll let you know in a few years.

Beverly                     (pot) pretty darn good late one
Fruit punch               (pot) never tried it but got a monster 25gl.
Lemon Zest              (pot) 7gl was the best bang for the buck, cant wait to try one.
peach cob                (pot) best 7gl I could find, cant wait to try one.
Pickering                 (pot) 25gl never had one but I could always leave it in the pot.
Pina collada             (pot) 25gl couldn't resist, have a bottle of rum with it's name on it, cant wait to try it.
Graham                   (pot) ate one from the freezer yesterday, really like it don't know how it will compare to other islandy varieties.
Keitt                        (pot) 3gl probably gift it away
Cotton candy            (pot) 3gl

I intend to put them all in the ground if I can make enough room and I was thinking about Phoenix, Kathy, sweet tart, Rosigold, choc anon, Ambrosia, Gary, Angie, Ice cream?

I'm stuck at work on Christmas eve hence the spare time.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on cutting a mang tree from the team.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 11:37:11 PM »

I can think of three that can go...Valencia Pride,  Glenn and Graham.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 11:56:43 PM »
Candidates to go:

Carrie, Graham, Valencia Pride,  Cogshall, Keitt (I know its late but wohldnt waste the space if I had the option), Juliette (i am not a fan of it but keep it if you like Julie).

Do not waste your money, space  or time with Choc Anon, Rosigold, Ice Cream (a nightmare in Florida and not that good),  Angie (if you like Carrie, than grow either Carrie or Angie...i dont like either Carrie or Angie).  Gary is awesome but is a poor producer for many.  Soes well in Eastern Palm Beach County but pretty louay to the West...extremely similar to Pina Colada and Pina Colada is a smaller/more compact grower.
- Rob

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 07:01:41 AM »
Thank you for your opinions, greatly appreciated.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 05:37:22 PM »
I second Ice Cream being not that good! I heard how great that fruit was and I had the room on the side of my house as a bonus section, so put it there. I finally had them ready to finally try and it had a funny taste to the first one, a twang to it I did not like. Twenty fruit later, I still did not like it at all. Traded it off for a Ross Sapote which I had wanted.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 06:15:30 PM »
I am on the fence as far as Keitt goes. With that many mangoes you have, you cannot eat them all and your going to be processing them regardless. It is hard to beat it for freezing, it almost takes on an orange like flavor when frozen, with a firm texture that belly's all others and production yearly that can't be beat. If you have the room, by all means, keep it around. Mine bore 70 lbs its first year I let it produce when no other fruit was around to eat, period.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 07:54:47 AM »
That is a good point about the keitt but I forgot to mention that my next door neighbor has a 30 Y/O tree and with a little spraying and tipping  will probably be more than enough for the both of us.  What if anything seems like it is missing in my collection to round it out?

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 10:35:25 AM »
Your trees look overwhelming in sheer amounts like probably most on this site have in their yard who collect these fruits. I think your own taste buds can only truly guide you. To be frank, what Rob, squam, myself, and others like, will all vary compared to your taste buds. Also,  It depends on how much fruit you are really going to eat, then are you going to want to process 2,000 lbs of fruit yearly? Do you plan a fruit stand? lol
              Biggest consideration is spacing of your trees for adequate airflow and harvesting. I personally do not like trees any closer than 18 ft.  Almost all of mine are 20-24 ft. apart. I would rather have 2 or 3 less trees than a packed crowd getting less sunlight and hence less production. I would put a limit on mango to around 10 and move on to something else you really like. Save two spots for new releases down the pipeline for it is going to happen and your going to pull the trigger on a few new ones.
                   As far as varieties, I will say this!  If your going to use fungicides regularly, I would have one Dot and here is why. It is very diverse so you can use it in smoothies, make an amazing pie with it, as well as fresh eating. Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart, in my opinion, taste terrible in a smoothie, they overpower it to death and do not blend well with other fruits because they take over. A Dot is Heaven in a smoothie mixed in with frozen banana perfectly. Dot is a little more work for many, so it depends on your area. Here it does not have nearly the fungal problems as it does on the East coast from what I can tell. Most of the new releases are IMO fresh eating mangoes with strong flavors. A Dot pushes the limit of flavor without taking over, I could eat them all day. A Lemon Zest, I would say no too after eating one or two and the same with ST.  Juicy Peach is on my very short list and almost pulled the trigger on it two years ago and am slightly sorry I didn't. I got the Peach Cobbler instead. So if one of my mangoes gets booted, Juicy Peach might be the replacement. I also would put the Pickering mango as a fill in for the sunny sides of your home leaving the wide open spots for your biggies. I have 7 mango trees that are full size ones and two pickerings that are located on the side of house. Once your biggies get large you could always toss the Pickerings out if you don't like them any more, but at least you will be in good production more quickly this way.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 11:44:44 AM »
Thank you for your constructive input and the thoughtful consideration, you gave me several points I had not really considered. I actually wouldn't mind selling mangos locally some day down the road as there are a bunch of micro farms in my area that already do so. I was not very impressed with anyone but the Ensey's farm so far and don't want to step on their toes, but I have not seen all the micro farms in my area.  Also, I do really like a good DOT and didn't realize just how versatile it was compared to some of the in your face flavors. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 04:09:29 PM »
While I haven't tried most I know Glenn is poor and keitt is decidedly average at best.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 04:25:56 PM »
How is Glenn poor? I've had a wide variety of mangoes, and Glenn is far from poor. hardly any fiber, good flavor, tree has few disease issues.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 06:10:24 PM »
How is Glenn poor? I've had a wide variety of mangoes, and Glenn is far from poor. hardly any fiber, good flavor, tree has few disease issues.

I agree with Mike.. average flavor.  Better yet, very inconsistent average flavor.  Has a tendency to be washed out in flavor.  Yes, no fiber but many mangoes have no fiber.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 06:21:27 PM »
I would call Glenn a Very Good mango. Flavor is good (not great), it sells extremely well, and disease resistance, color, and productivity are awesome. It's one drawback is that flavor is mild, but that seems to only be an issue with mango connoisseurs.

Poor in my book would be a supermarket Tommy Atkins.
Jeff  :-)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 06:32:39 PM »
What do you guys think about the southern blush? To me it tasted like a watered down coconut cream. Having a hard time seeing any advantage to keeping it other than to sell the fruit. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »
Both Glenn and keitt failed here commercially with initial small scaled plantings and were considered to have poor market acceptability with low potential for export.They, along with brooks and palmer command the lowest prices in the markets. Newer varieties like honey gold and calypso as well as several improved KPs were considered superior options for commercial plantation expansions.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 07:04:15 PM »
What do you guys think about the southern blush? To me it tasted like a watered down coconut cream. Having a hard time seeing any advantage to keeping it other than to sell the fruit.

Decent tasting mango that is pretty susceptible to newer strains of anthracnose. Has remarkably long shelf life.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »
I read that glenn does not have good storage characteristics, which is what limits commercial acceptance. From the standpoint of flavor, it's far superior to the mexican grown tommy atkins that flood our supermarkets.

Both Glenn and keitt failed here commercially with initial small scaled plantings and were considered to have poor market acceptability with low potential for export.They, along with brooks and palmer command the lowest prices in the markets. Newer varieties like honey gold and calypso as well as several improved KPs were considered superior options for commercial plantation expansions.
Jeff  :-)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 09:02:08 PM »
I think Glenn is tasty enough to have around to provide contrast to other varieties in the dooryard setting and would probably be remarkably different from south FL as compared to an Australian grown Glenn taste wise if compared side by side. Also cultural tastes are intrinsically different.   

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 09:03:12 PM »

Decent tasting mango that is pretty susceptible to newer strains of anthracnose. Has remarkably long shelf life.
would southern blush make a good commercial planting?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 11:26:09 PM »

would southern blush make a good commercial planting?

As ata8ted, it can have some anthracnose issues but it is not a bad commercial variety (I would have to say growth location plays a role).  It seems to ship well.  Erickson Farms near Lake Okeechibee has very good sucess growing it commercially.

It has decent flavor but no wow factor.  It is food for a more baaic mango flavor, like that of Glenn but in my opinion, flavor can be superior to Glenn.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 11:32:17 PM »
I would call Glenn a Very Good mango. Flavor is good (not great), it sells extremely well, and disease resistance, color, and productivity are awesome. It's one drawback is that flavor is mild, but that seems to only be an issue with mango connoisseurs.

Poor in my book would be a supermarket Tommy Atkins.

I guess if color means anything, it deserves a spot (then again so would a Tommy, Lol).  I agree I have seen some like Glenn but as you said, not sure if its a connoisseur thing, those who prefer basic mango flavor or those who have not had the opportunity to taste those with a true wow factor.  Very poor shelf life.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 05:48:05 AM »
Cooky is right TA is an embarrassment to those who savour mangoes. There is a cultural divide with preferred taste and the most obvious division is between the palate of Asians/Australians and those of the Americas.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »
I too have a dilemma and would appreciate opinions on this type of subject.
I have a bunch of very young varieties that I planted just before discovering all the new Zill varieties that are out.
I already planted about 50 of the new varieties and want to plant more but I am a bit unsure if I should remove some of the other varieties I have because of the stupendous praises of the new Zills.
For example should I pull the Lancitilla for any of the top tier Mangoes of Zill? All are in the ground about 2-6 months and are all are 100% healthy except for a few negative signs on the Spirit of 76 and the Hatcher.
Here is my potential pull list:
Lancitilla
Big Jim
Philippine
Spirit of 76
Palmer
Hatcher
Tahar
Pickering
Thanking you in advance for your valued opinions.
RW

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 05:15:32 PM »
It might be helpful to list all of the varieties that you have in order to make sure you don't get suggestions for duplicates or very similar types. Also, consider that you might be able to top work  your least favorite trees once you figure out what your not impressed with. Although, now would be a good time to put them back in a pot and sell/ give them away and put new ones in. I have held off putting a few in the ground until I can get some good samples of the fruits to be sure I only plant what I really like and want to eat.

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »
Pickering is the only one I have tried and I like it.
Quentin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk