Author Topic: Any Info on Cotton Candy Mango?  (Read 26286 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Any Info on Cotton Candy Mango?
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2019, 11:49:54 PM »
Manicmango,

I still have two fruit holding on the tree. We hit 97F today and tomorrow is going to be hot as well so that should speed up the ripening. The yellow on the mango is moving down the fruit so I can probably pick it now but I want to make sure it’s fully ripe before I harvest it. I’ll definitely report back once I pick and sample them.

The tree is doing ok. It’s on Florida Turpentine rootstock and got some dieback. I grafted it onto other rootstocks and they are doing better.

Parmindersingh,

Welcome to the forum. Since you are in Phoenix, it’s probably best to get your information from the nursery where you purchased your tree. Your conditions will be different than growers in Florida and California.

There is a guy named Shamus on YouTube and he has some videos on how to grow Mangos in Arizona. Here a link to a couple videos

How to feed your Mangos
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n9NAilF02pU
Summer care
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8GGx7Crzo9g
Simon

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2019, 12:49:13 AM »
I live in Phoenix.  Don't listen to anything Shamus says.  Modern day snake oil salesman.  He also has a horrible reputation out here.  Had to hire other people to run his nursery because he has a horrible temper.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2019, 11:43:50 AM »
Ok, the more information we get the better. He does admit he’s not a professional horticulturist but neither am I.

Do pay attention to the soil pH as it is one of the more important factors to look out for.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
My Cotton Candy still holding on

Simon

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2019, 11:43:44 PM »
My Cotton Candy still holding on

Simon

lol that looks so yummy now I know how a squrriel feels hahHhaa

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2019, 12:37:30 AM »
Haha, don’t jinx me! I don’t have squirrels but I do have rats around my area. It looks almost ready. I notice the yellow slowly moving down the fruit. I harvested the fruit early last year and it wasn’t sweet so I’m going to err on the side of over ripe vs underripe.

Simon

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2019, 10:13:12 AM »
So now that the season is completely over/ or just started depending how you look at it... What is the thoughts on this variety so far?? I see some weak branching on some trees and others are upright, I do like the large leaves it provides, any issues with mold or tree health? I may make room for 1 more tree and  :)
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2019, 12:29:42 PM »
It has been Disease resistant for me. I still have two fruit hanging and they should ripen soon. I can’t say wether it’s vigorous or not but it’s been very good at setting fruit in my area with high levels of moisture and Powdery Mildew.

Simon

igrowmangos

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2019, 12:39:22 PM »
Good to know Simon, thank you, Is the fruit coloring up nicely and clean? Is it still in a container or in ground?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2019, 09:15:16 PM »
So I was walking around my yard about three days ago and smelled my larger Cotton Candy mango and the mango gave off a mild sweet smell so I cut it off the tree. The mango was still mostly green with a yellowish blush on the shoulders but I was afraid the animals would get it so I harvested it.

Here’s a picture after I harvested the fruit.

I just got home from work and it looks like the mango can use another day or two. I was expecting it to color up some more and become extremely fragrant but so far, that is not the case. I believe the fruit was either harvested too early or the tree was so small and weak that the fruit quality was affected.

I have another much smaller fruit still hanging on this tree so there’s still hope. I’ll post a picture and taste description once I cut the first fruit.

Simon

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2019, 07:50:23 AM »
Great job Simon.

I'm glad to see mango season is living on somewhere.
I have yet to fruit Cotton Candy and only had a few fruit myself

Hopefully next year my grafts will be strong enough

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2019, 06:24:09 PM »
Cotton candy has been a fairly quick and erect grower for me. This is 1-1/2 years in the ground from a Zill 3 gallon.
the flushes this summer went straight up.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2019, 09:00:51 PM »
Cotton candy has been a fairly quick and erect grower for me. This is 1-1/2 years in the ground from a Zill 3 gallon.
the flushes this summer went straight up.

So next summer should be the acid test when you finally get to taste it!
John

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2019, 11:13:42 PM »
Anticlimactic everyone, the mango was definitely not in best form. The skin was still green with very little coloring and it was getting wrinkly.

When I cut into it, I was happy that it felt ripe enough to be edible but I tested the Brix and it only came out to 17% Brix. I took a bite and instantly knew this fruit was not in prime condition. I taste the potential in this one, it did have a very subtle Candy smell to it but this particular fruit was definitely grown under poor conditions on a dying tree so I’ll have to taste a properly grown Cotton Candy before passing judgement on this variety.

I do have one more fruit hanging on this tree but it’s a runt, possibly a nubbin.

Simon

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2019, 08:21:14 AM »
So next summer should be the acid test when you finally get to taste it!
I have five trees like this and may get a few but I have been pushing these and just tipped them so I'm not sure. If I get more growth but no fruit on the second year-in-ground that will be OK for me. 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2019, 07:58:36 PM »
Just to be fair, I do have a cold and have been taking Zicam so my nose and palate were not in prime flavor detection mode. Hopefully someone with an established tree will Fruit this variety soon so we can find out if it has good potential.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »
This the sweetest in a while. Mangos are past their prime but somehow HK hit 28

I have a few Gary’s that I’ll leave until they drop

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2019, 04:35:18 PM »
on one of my sweet tart tree, I had 6 mangoes, 5 hit 30-31 brix, there is still one left on the tree. other 3 ST trees in different part of my yard did not get over 22. could be this tree only difference is lack of water it gets.

igrowmangos

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2020, 01:29:48 PM »
Hello all, so just trying to get a Cotton Candy mango tree update. Anyone flowering yet? How was the fruit last year?

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2020, 08:14:57 AM »
We have around 25 cotton candy trees. Most are just 1yr. Since planting as 3gal..  All are at some stage of flowering. Our 3 year old trees flowered but did not hold fruit last year.  Most are holding fruit this year.  We don’t water our Mangos.  It has taken a couple of years to get our soil microbiology at optimal levels.  Healthy fast growing mostly disease free plants here for us.  Just some very minor sooty fungus may show during prolonged dry periods on some trees but nothing major.  Some of our 3 yo trees had partial bloom with fruit set and are pushing again now.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:29:53 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2020, 10:49:58 PM »
I got a nice size vigrous tree growing
About 3-4 years old,this is the first time it's fruited and it's only holding three or four fruit the size of marbles.. are these trees noted for Lite production
Www.sailing-charters.org

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2022, 01:51:17 AM »
Is the cotton candy mango a winner or loser?  It's been out a while, what's the verdict?
Brad Spaugh

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2022, 09:23:54 AM »

Is the cotton candy mango a winner or loser?  It's been out a while, what's the verdict?

A winner in my yard. Consistent producer of high quality, good-size fruit.  Mid to late season and the growth is not vigorous. I would rate M4 above Cotton Candy in terms of taste but CC has been much more productive for me.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2022, 10:16:10 AM »
A winner in my book.  Large with outstanding rich classic flavor and lots of sugar.  But don't let them ripen on the tree. Eat when still firm.  They're awful if they get soft (readily breaking down internally).  The ones I've eaten were fibrous (even though Alex says they're fiberless; maybe the ones he grows are), but the flavor more than made up for it.
John

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2022, 12:39:14 PM »
Is this a cotton candy fruit?  I have a couple of grafted trees that are missing tags and i know one was cotton candy and the other I think was orange essence.  This one is making a lot of big size fruit that have lots of freckled dots on it and rwinbow coloring. 

I have not yet tried the fruit I just picked one for the first time and theres still a lot more i am trying to let them hang but our weather is cooling off now. 

Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk