Author Topic: Central Florida Zone 9B Mango Growers Success Stories!  (Read 15929 times)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
Re: Central Florida Zone 9B Mango Growers Success Stories!
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 10:18:46 PM »
C24mccain,
how old are your trees? very impressive. Does it require protection in the winter nowadays?

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2019, 11:03:37 AM »
OK Zone 9B, how have your trees been doing? I have been seeing some beautiful trees creeping over some fence lines around the area. Even a gigantic 30 footer full of life. I added a few more BBQ grills to spark up incase things get dicey. Anyone else added some new tropical for Zone 9B?
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2019, 07:57:16 PM »
C24mccain,
how old are your trees? very impressive. Does it require protection in the winter nowadays?

Sorry for very late reply. Most of my trees have been through 4 Summers and three winter's. Only one of the winter's had freezing temps. That year I used burn barrels to save the mangos. This year I don't plan on protecting unless we get under 29. My nearly 20' Jackfruit tree I will protect at 32 or less with an overhead shower I built. I also have three smudge pots I can use. In the past I have built a frame around some trees, using bamboo,  wrapped in plastic with an insulated lid and a 250 watt heat lamp. I'll have an updated video of my project up in about a week.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2019, 08:32:10 AM »
My in grounds are rocking so far this year. No fruit at all but they are bushing out quite well. Sweet tart and Lemon zest are pushing a lot of new growth right now and the other two existing ones, cotton candy and graham are low and bushy as well, haven't walked over there lately to see if there is new growth. I put an ailing pickering that was potted(all my potteds were having issues this year and I don't know why) and found a spot in a clearing in the back 40 in between some oaks where I have some loquats in and it seems to be doing much better. Hoping for another winter like last year. But with us starting to enter another cooling period I am glad I diversified with cooler weather trees.

igrowmangos

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2019, 09:45:16 AM »
My in grounds are rocking so far this year. No fruit at all but they are bushing out quite well. Sweet tart and Lemon zest are pushing a lot of new growth right now and the other two existing ones, cotton candy and graham are low and bushy as well, haven't walked over there lately to see if there is new growth. I put an ailing pickering that was potted(all my potteds were having issues this year and I don't know why) and found a spot in a clearing in the back 40 in between some oaks where I have some loquats in and it seems to be doing much better. Hoping for another winter like last year. But with us starting to enter another cooling period I am glad I diversified with cooler weather trees.

Good report. I got all my mangos currently both flushing and dormant. I got a jaboticaba rebounding from plant shock, I got a Lula avocado that didn't flower this year and that Brodgon that was partially eaten by deers all doing great. I have a Cherry Barbados that is getting massive and the darn birds keep getting to my cherries before I can. The thing with Cherry Barbados is that they go from flower stage to fruit ripe pretty fast and you got to watch them regularly or they will fall or get eaten up by birds. I got annona squamosa. I have a beautiful dwarf lemon tree that is fruiting as well. No ACP issues had it for 4 yers.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2019, 05:55:08 PM »
I just hope my area doesn't get any freeze come this Monday or Tuesday. Forecasted lows is 37F.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

igrowmangos

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »
Looks like we made it through and the mango trees got just enough cool temps to help with blooms. We just need more of the cool weather and continue on pushing through. Fingers crossed. I have not checked my Sugar Apple tree yet. Will report on that tomorrow. Low of 43 in my area. Very nice.

DocTropical

• Orlando, FL USA - 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2023, 03:13:46 PM »
Any more recent success stories growing mangos in the Orlando area / northern 9B region? I’m in Lake Mary and recently planted several 25-65 gallon trees in the ground. Hoping they do well and bear fruit next year, but obviously concerned about cold weather.

Has anyone been able to successfully produce mangos in the Lake Mary area, from in ground trees?

I have noticed several sizeable mango trees in the Lake Mary/Sanford area, now that I’ve started looking. Mostly on drives but one or two smaller ones in the neighborhood. See attached pics!

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2023, 06:06:14 PM »
I have seen many large producing mangos in winter springs, Oviedo, Sanford. Everytime i asked about variety i was told it was from a seed. Luck or something else, but my coconut cream and pickering died on me....
Ana

hipasfolk

• Central FL, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2023, 06:58:03 PM »
Now that I've been looking I've seen more and more beautiful large mangos in the lakeland highland and brandon areas. Gives me hope for my trees. Mine are still small and it will be a challenge to baby all 30 until they're established enough to not completely die when temps drop.

Someone a block or so away planted a 15g mango in their side yard right along the street not too long ago so I'll be curious if they do anything to protect it and how it fares this winter.

Gottahaveit

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2023, 09:08:56 PM »
Mangos do fine. It's the frost during bloom that makes it difficult to have fruit. That and those darn tree rats!