Author Topic: I killed poncyrus seeds!  (Read 2087 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
I killed poncyrus seeds!
« on: May 18, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »
I planted poncyrus seeds in pots full of potting soil like I do anything else, and they went through the winter outside right next to potted crabapple and Rowan seeds, and now the crab and Rowan are coming up just fine and no poncyrus; the PT seeds I dug up are rotten. I've never had to make a science out of potting soil for seeds. I've grown s bunch of Ichang and dunstan seeds indoors over winter, flying dragon outside in pots, but have never got PT to sprout. Ok, y'all tell me what I did wrong.

DFWCitrus

• SOUTHLAKE, TX
    • View Profile
Re: I killed poncyrus seeds!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 02:09:55 PM »
I got some P. trifoliata seeds early April and out of 100 seeds about 25-30 have sprouted, some growing very quickly. I suppose the cold winter was not ideal for germinating them.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: I killed poncyrus seeds!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »
Poncirus seed germinates poncirus trees.. However, if you plant Flying Dragon seed, less that 50 percent will be the true dwarfing Flying Dragon cultivar.  You can tell which are true Flying Dragon only by growing out the seedlings.  Three years ago I purchased 20 very young seedlings trees of "Flying Dragon" from Swimming Free.  I grew them out and only four of the seedlings were the true dwarfing Flying Dragon .

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:29:11 PM by Millet »